XY
Years ago

Rogers hanging up the Boots

Reported in the Messenger (NE) yesterday that Paul Rogers was retiring from international basketball and does not intend to make himself available for the World Championships.

He said to the Messenger reporter that he had not yet told Goorjian about his decision.

Rogers also stated that the Commonwealth Games gold medal was the highlight of his career.

Topic #6899 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

My vote is that he took one look at the competition for a roster spot at the World Champs and didn't like his chances - Bogut, Anstey, Anderson, Neilson & even Schench would rank above Rogers for consideration.

I don't think Goorj would be too shattered. Expect an announcement from Ronaldson next...

Reply #77128 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Who cares? He would be one of the softest players to ever play the sport.
Bring on the Perth game and see how will he plays back at the dome.

Reply #77130 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

and all of a sudden the sound of a 1000 violins play in pity,

Reply #77134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Comm Games Gold Medal was his highlight then he never set the bar very high... It was dismal

Reply #77148 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Didn't Rogers retire from international basketball about 5 years ago?

Reply #77149 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Based on his performances you would have to say yes.

Reply #77151 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Thats what I meant XY!

Reply #77163 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Rodgers retires from international games. What a huuuge loss for Aussie basketball.......NOT! Do us all a favour Paul and retire from all levels of play. Aussie hoops needs players that actually live up to their potential! 1 good game in 10 is not enough.

Reply #77335 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

#77148, so youve done better than win a gold medal for your country?

Reply #77369 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

VC

I came third in the long jump in year 6 at primary school.

That said, the competition was easily twice as good as the Boomers opponents at the Commonwealth Games.

Reply #77413 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Hey VC #77369, if the only people that could possibly comment on issues on the forum had played BBall for Australia there would be no comments posted at all.

Anyways Australian basketball needs to do something a bit harder than win a gold medal in the commonwealth games before it gains respect on an international level.

Reply #78164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754