Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers beaten by 19 in NZ

The word just in is that the Sixers have gone down by 19 in NZ. Apparently our defense wasn't very good, but that's all I know.

(Updated)

Found an article on stuff.co.nz:

The Harvey Norman Breakers were certainly a class above Adelaide last night, although coach Frank Arsego warned the Australian side would be a different proposition in a fortnight in the season opener in Auckland.

"But I saw enough tonight to know we'll be pretty competitive this season," he said.

"To be honest, I'm very pleased how quickly the guys are developing on court. There's a good understanding between players already. I wanted to improve on the first two games and we did."

Arsego was also happy with the crowd.

"It's always good to come to centres like New Plymouth. The crowd got in behind us and I liked the way the fans responded when guys came off court."

The Breakers led 25-23 after the first quarter, then scored 10 points in the opening two minutes of the second quarter to break clear. It was a lead the Breakers never surrendered and by halftime they led 48-37.

In a high-scoring third quarter, the Breakers pulled away to 76-58. And despite the crowd willing the Breakers on in the final few minutes, they couldn't quite crack the century.

But for most fans, it didn't matter. They had come along to be entertained and they were. From the rousing renditions of the Australian and New Zealand anthems by New Plymouth's Anthony Joines to the break-dancing at halftime.

The Breakers had the better understanding on court, working the ball in to the key before taking the shot. The Adelaide players, on the other hand, put up more shots, but struggled to find the hoop.

The Breakers' new big man, Ben Pepper, scored a game-high 29 points, with another newcomer, Shawn Redhage, and Tall Black Aaron Olsen both scoring 17 points.

Adelaide's highest scorers were American Willie Farley and Dusty Rychart both with 17, while Oscar Forman scored 15.

Topic #690 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think any of these games from NZ should worry us too much.

Reply #6854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, it would've been nice to win them. I'm not sure if Farley or Maher suited for these, but if they didn't (and with Nash still out) we'd be playing with:

Rychart
Holmes
Williams
Forman
Cooper
Rees
Ng
Gower

Surely Maher or Farley would've played because otherwise that's a very slim guard setup -- not even Nash there to play as a guard.

I can't imagine that any team in the league is spending as much time away from home in September as the Sixers (Pt Lincoln, then NZ, then Cairns, then back to NZ) so I hope that doesn't hurt our start to the season.

Reply #6856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Info from the Breakers site:

Breakers take down Adelaide

The Harvey Norman NZ Breakers have put together another impressive performance as they prepare for the new NBL season, notching a comprehensive victory over the Adelaide 36ers in New Plymouth.

In a preview of Game One of the Philips Championship, the Breakers were always in control. In front of a capacity crowd, they lead at every break and pulled away to win 98-79.

While the Breakers had key American import Mike Chappell confined to the bench by an ankle injury sustained during the Breakers victory over the Hunter Pirates on Saturday, Adelaide were without the talented Brett Maher, also through injury.

Big Australian Ben Pepper was handed more responsibility by Breakers Head Coach Frank Arsego before the game, and responded with a game high 29 points, hitting 14 of 19 shots from the field.

New arrival Shawn Redhage continued to show his class, with 17 points and 7 rebounds.

But while the new boys looked good it was Breakers captain Pero Cameron who was the MVP for his side, a warning for the other NBL sides that he is ready to show his best form in the new season.

The Breakers leave on Friday for the Philips Championship Blitz in Cairns, before taking on the Townsville Crocodiles in Townsville on Sunday night.

Harvey Norman NZ Breakers 98
Ben Pepper 29, Shawn Redhage 17, Aaron Olson 17

Adelaide 36ers 79

Reply #6884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these games dont really matter so i woundnt be worried

Reply #6921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As added above, I found something listing the scorers for the Sixers game against NZ last night. Farley and Rychart had 17 each, Forman had 15.

Reply #6933 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

im glad these games dont really count. i hope this isnt a sign on wot our season is going to be like

Reply #6939 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Is that the final desgin for the sixer jerseys this season? Looks more like a training top with no other patterns on it. Wonder how well it will sell?

Reply #6996 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

pretty sure that is just the training top that they played in

Reply #7008 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have heard that the singlets have Champion repeated in a band down the side. Not sure if those are the final singlet but they look like scrimmage tops.

From this pic, the strips on the side are yellow. I hope that red name is legible because from that photo it looks hard to read. Red on blue is one of the most difficult to read colour combinations in the colour world (I've had a chapter purely on colour theory published, so I'm not making that up!).

Reply #7033 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

who do you think will win out of nz or adeliade. i personaly think if adelaide dont lift there game a bit nz will win.

Reply #7160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754