XY
Years ago

Possible Sixers - Breheny

Full page of Basketball in the Advertiser today with articles on the new look opals, Copeland going to attempt a D-Mac for Adelaide, Newley helping out hurricane affected Queensland and heading off to the US in 5 weeks to prepare for the draft.

Steve Breheny admits in this article:

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18737074%255E12428,00.html

that the Sixers have not done a good enough job keeping track of young Aussies playing College ball in the US, saying 'we probably haven't been as tight as we could have been with kids in college'.

Breheny mentions the following names to round out the last two roster spots (excluding the import spot) and development positions:

Nick Hambour
Todd Gower
Jye Watson
Ben Madgen (probably going to college)
Brad Gerlach (probably going to college)
Austin Smylie
Steve Williams
Jordan Dodman
Michael Zorich
Lindsay Tait
Matt Sutton
Sam Harris

Of the 14 players currently with the Academy, Zorich, Matt Gange and Chris Clausen will probably head over to the US.

Tait, Jason Eversteyn and Marcus Timmons have expressed interest in playing for the Sixers but the article suggests Smyth and Breheny are not too interested.

The Sixers also are looking to get Brooks a coaching role with the Sixers.

Lots of news in response to the complaints on here that the Sixers are not giving enough information on the evolving shape of the team for 06/07.

Of the players listed above, who would you chose to fill out the Sixers roster? Who would be likely to say yes/fit under cap and points space?

Gotta at least give it to the guys that they are listening to our requests for information, even if there is no real surprises in the above...

Topic #6900 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

First of all Sam Harris is 7ft3 and is at College in America. He is not going to come back for the last two spots in the team. Start giving the young guys a go.

Reply #77138 | Report this post

achtung baby  
Years ago

out of all those names, i am perplexed at why no one has considered the 6'10 center brad bungey, who is only 20 years old from mavericks. he has been a consistent double double player in the aba coming off the bench, and needs the minutes to prove better. he has been in the sixers academy now for three years, and needs the opportunity to get better.

Reply #77140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bungey has massive issues in his head. No one would want to touch him. Plus hes not 6'10!

Reply #77141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also how can Gerlach and Madgen be considering college. I thought that went against all the professionism rules!

Reply #77142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only applies to Div 1 College

Reply #77146 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The move to get Kevin Brooks as an assistant is very interesting given that they dropped Ninnis from the roster due to budgetary contraints...

Reply #77150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Williams? Averaging 2.6 PPG and 12.8 mins? Really?

Reply #77152 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Wrong Steve Williams. I believe the one they're referring to is from Eastern (Amanda's brother, Mike's son). Small guard. Unless he's improved a lot while in college (which is possible) I don't know that he'd be any better than other small guards from around his age group (Campbell, Sullivan, Shepherd, Graves).

Reply #77153 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This Steve Williams you'd think.

Belmont Abbey College Crusaders. Started all 27 games this season for the team, shooting 37% from the field, averaging 7.6 PPG and around 4 APG.

Reply #77154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong Steve Williams dude, not the guy at south. He's still over in the states at the moment.

Reply #77155 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Wrong Steve Williams I think. Try Steve Williams Ex Mav been in college for 3 Years.

Reply #77156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that rule applies to all ncaa colleges, not just div 1

Reply #77158 | Report this post

achtung baby  
Years ago

the steve williams you are talking about played for belmont abbey in the states div 2 college. and isaac is right, only 7ppg and 4apg, don't really think thats good enough for a sixer.

Reply #77164 | Report this post

Jazzy Jeff  
Years ago

How can Jye Watson not be in the Sixers squad? The man is an absolute gun!

Reply #77165 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

How about picking Rob Beveridge as an assistant coach

Reply #77166 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think the Sixer's would be stupid not to put Jye into the team as a back up shooting guard as well. They should have had him in their team last year. He could contribute just like Luke Kendall did at the Kings. Luke is more of a point guard but both guys can flat out shoot and if players like that come off the bench and get hot they can give you a twenty plus game every now and then.

Reply #77168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob never played NBL so it would be very tough for him and would probably be better suited to an Eastern States program where he has a high profile and the 6ers like their own.

He would be close though to getting a gig somewhere but you would take Brooksie over him.

Reply #77169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther u have changed ur Tune On Jye ... But I really do have to agree with you .. Something which has troubled the sixers in the last couple of years is Bench depth and Jye would give the Sixers some One who can come in and Play solid time off the bench .. given that he is given a Minutes...

Also I thought Darren Ng was taking one year off the sixers to Finsh his Medical Degree .. Any Chance of Him making a return

Reply #77185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Williams would be a very handy pick-up. From what i remember of him as an under 18 was that he is a great leader and works his heart out. Only problem would b he is best mates with Jacob Holmes so he might be headed to South Dragons.

Reply #77188 | Report this post

Years ago

I agree with achtung baby, get Bungey in there! So what if he gets a bit fired up? At least we'd have an aggressive big man for once!

Reply #77190 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I'd like to see Dodman and Harris in the development squad. Even if they are 11 and 12 and never get a run.

You just can't teach that size and Wheeler would be a good role model for both of them in terms of his work ethic.

At least both of them have the potential to become handy NBL players in the future unlike the undersized players we have persisted with in the squad for years that have never either stepped up or been given the opportunity to become full time NBL contributors.

I can see the 36ers going for Hambour and Sutton in the other two spots.

Maher/Sutton
Farley/Copeland
Nash/Hill
Import/Hambour
Wheeler/Cooper
11 Dodman, 12 Sutton

Reply #77213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sutton in the 10, youve got to be kidding.

Reply #77244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will we see one NG or two in the squad later in the year?????

Reply #77254 | Report this post

achtung baby  
Years ago

i tink bungey wouldn't be the only one with head issues. lots of young guys have problems with temper, but i think he just needs a chance to shine and develop, he needs a mentor to teach him how to use and manage his talents. no doubt he deserves it, and is worth taking on and really developing. give him a chance.

Reply #77266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Wheeler/Cooper
F Import/Dodman
F Nash/Cullen?
G Farley/Copeland
G Maher/Hill/Sutton

Add an extra 20k and
Rees-Wheeler Cost more
Rychart-IMPORT Probably cost more
Holmes-Copeland cost less
Forman-??? Who will replace him?
Are they looking at Cullen or ABA players?

Hambour
Gower
+15K

for
Sutton
Dodman

Work out?

Reply #77286 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

All indications are that the 36ers will go with an 8 man rotation which makes sense in terms of team chemistry and distribution of minutes...assuming that the main 8 stay healthy.

That is a big if when the 8 man rotation consists of Maher, Nash, Wheeler and Copeland who are all likely candidates for missing games due to injury.

Again, not my opinion of who should make the squad but my analysis of Breheney's comments in Nagy's article suggests that the final 4 spots will be selected from players such as Gower, Hambour, Dodman, Harris, Sutton, Watson and Zorich.

However, if we sign 4 development type players are we spending the cap?

Following on from the calculations in the post above, you'd have to think that Wheeler and Holmes' salaries would be pretty close.

Then being generous you can allow the second import the whole of Dusty's salary + the increase of $40k to the cap.

Replace Rees with Copeland and you would think you would still have cap room from Oscar's departure to recruit another NBL established player and add some depth to the line-up.

They might be saving that cap room to have some serious cash to throw at a MVP calibre import but some extra insurance in the form of a ninth player such as Cullen to cover for Nash/Wheeler should they go down with injury wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Reply #77304 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

right on stephon looking at another established budget \ midrange nbl player ala cullen makes sense and with dusty $$$ plus the extra 40k in the cap means the 6ers can spend the max on import

Reply #77350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You are making the assumption here that players staying from 2005/06 are on the same salary heading into 2006/06. If Farley's second year of the contract was higher than the first, Brad Hill's second year was higher (fair assumption) and Nashy squeezed out some extra in the negotiations when three forwards competing for his spot left (wouldn't surprise me), that could easily chew up a raise in the cap.

As I've said before, my guesses say they've got $150-200k to spend on an import and two other positions. I can't see Cullen fitting in, sorry guys.

Also, if they're spending the max on Maher (have always assumed as much, but who knows), they can't spend the max on an import even if they had the cash.

Reply #77408 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Completely forgot to post this...

Why are the Sixers name-dropping a guy like Sam Harris (admittedly 7'3", but doing SFA in SFA opportunities) when there's another Australian on his college team - Alex Loughton. 6'9" FC, 240 lbs. Good guy, had an NCAA Div I high of 45 points, etc.

CAA Player of the Year and Tournament MVP...First team NABC All-District IV...Player of the Year in the State of Virginia by the Richmond Times Dispatch and the Virginia Sports Information Directors' Association...First Team All-CAA...CAA Scholar Athlete of the Year...NACDA national All-Scholar team...CoSIDA Academic All-District...ODU Alumni Association's Male Athlete of the Year...CAA Player of the Week on Feb. 8... Had 13 double-doubles...10th in CAA in scoring, 2nd in field goal percentage and rebounding...seventh in free throw percentage
This kid was in the Boomers team for the tour of Asia. In one of Old Dominion's recent games, Harris played 4 minutes for 2 and 3, while Loughton had 20 and 9.

We saw Drew Williamson go to Townsville over Sydney and Worthington go to Sydney instead of returning to his home state of WA. Surely you'd have to at least get Loughton on the phone and see what his plans were? I haven't really seen him touted as NBA material, so other than Europe, the NBL would be his main option you'd think?

Reply #77550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loughton is definitely a legit big time prospect.

Isaac, did you know that Alex Loughton, Mark Worthington, Jacob Holmes, Darren Ng, and Steve Williams have all previously played together on a tour of the States and Europe?

Would have been a good group to keep together for the Sixers.

Reply #77621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754