Stephon
Years ago

Port Power to buy the 36ers?

Interesting article by Rucci in today's Advertiser.

States that the Power are interested in reviewing the 36ers NBL Licence if it is put up for sale next month.

The article states that "Port president Greg Boulton last night confirmed his club would look at the 36ers as a business venture".

Topic #6904 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dear God,

Please let it be true. Please make it happen. Please make it possible to combine the two memberships so we get discounts at both. Please change the 36ers' uniforms to black, silver, white and teal and call them the Port Adelaide 36ers.

Aaaaaah, like it, love it. Tell Scotty to put the money in. This would be absolutely sensational (and by the way, they're not kidding - from a source inside the club, this is serious).

Reply #77212 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

...And lets hope that a few of the Port members jump on the 36ers bandwagon because of the link, extra publicity, and hopefully discounted season tickets that will mean the sold out sign comes back for the 36ers.

Reply #77214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Smyth trying to shore up his own future to me.....

Reply #77216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crowd is like a power crowd at the moment, the place is only half full.

Reply #77218 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Power in some financial difficulty also, operating at a loss? And this following a premiership 1 1/2 years ago? Can we be assured that their financial management would be good enough to put the sixers back in the red?

Reply #77220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port to buy Sixers. Hell to freeze over.

Reply #77225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why couldn't a GOOD club buy the Sixers?

Say The MIGHTY ADELAIDE CROWS???

Stupid Port.

But i hope they buy the sixers cause it means some good

Reply #77228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt be impressed with the 36ers being bought out by Port Powder, I would probably even give up our family season tickets and just stick with our Crows membership.

Reply #77229 | Report this post

Reuben  
Years ago

Power won't buy the sixers, the said they'd consider it as a revenue avenue.

Even with the potential benefits of operating two sporting teams under one admin, the financial viability just isn't there.

Reply #77233 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

The Adelaide teams must give a % of thier gross revenue to the SANFL.

If the Power brought the sixers, then you might get a buy one ticket, get another free as they both only have half full stadiums.

Maybe the Power are looking for other NBL recruits to play for them next year? Wait up, i guess you can not make an AFL team out of 30+ year olds

Reply #77235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can we be assured that their financial management would be good enough to put the sixers back in the red?"

don't you mean black?

Reply #77243 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

ah yes thankyou that is exactly what I meant. My bad

Reply #77246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Mark Williams will give YOUNG players a go at the Sixers????

Reply #77249 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

brogan can play if he is cut from the sided for a week! it would be better if the crows were involved as they already have strong connections with the club ie the charity game, and brett i think has a connection in some way.

Reply #77250 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

No way that Port are in a position to buy the sixers, they have enough problems of their own already.

Reply #77252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enough problems ?? Is this not Port's final year of having to pay back the AFL license ?? This is the reason they run at a loss, they are still paying back the license......watch the money roll in once that's paid off.

Reply #77255 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

And you don't count the friendship between Williams and Smyth a strong connection?

Reply #77258 | Report this post

Old-Bull  
Years ago

I THINK IT'S A GREAT PLAN FOR THE POWER TO BUY THE 36RS. THEY COULD RUN IT ALONG SIMILAR LINES TO THE ABL AND RESERVES. THEREFORE, IF YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE FIRST FIVE FOR THE SIXERS, YOU WOULD HAVE TO FRONT NEXT GAME FOR THE POWER. WHAT AN INCENTIVE TO MAKE THE FIRST FIVE.

Reply #77260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly (#77216)

Reply #77261 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon that came from a board member so count as good that they are not going to buy the sixers.

Reply #77263 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Dome can once again be called the Power House.

Reply #77265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port aren't buying the Sixers

Reply #77285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Bell is.

Reply #77299 | Report this post

Vadersnate  
Years ago

Whoever thinks they can make a go of buying the sixers had better be prepared to throw lots of money at the project for little gain. The Power does not have that sort of money. As for "Scotty" chipping in. I can tell you his two loves are footy and horse racing. If he loved basketball enough to pour a few million into a team the Dome would already be called "Scott's truck park"It would be less hassle to burn your money in a bin than for an AFL team to make a go of running another national league team.There is a good reason that the team is up for sale. It does not make enough money. Carlton and Collingwood tried the same thing some years ago with NSL teams; it was a disaster for all involved. The sixers need an owner that is going to be totally focused on the NBL. And to the people out there that think the power are doing this to recrute more players like Dean Brogan; have you ever heard of a funny little thing the AFL has called "The draft"? How many of us can afford a season ticket for a family for the AFL & the NBL? I would bet not many. This story is a smoke screen to put you off the trail of the consortium that will get the sixers. Thats a sure bet.

Reply #77303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that story was just part of a smyth public relations blitz .

Reply #77305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vadersnate,

You say:

This story is a smoke screen to put you off the trail of the consortium that will get the sixers. Thats a sure bet.

Which consortium will get the sixers?

Reply #77307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wont be paul bell i bet you now !

Reply #77311 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I'll back you on that Anon.

Some very recently cashed up SA businessmen ready to pounce. Retirees who will do the job with passion and for the greater good not just an ego run.

Reply #77322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats a ridiculous thing to say Kent.
Are u saying that Belly hasnt got the passion?
Things like Talking Hoops and Academy arent examples of "the greater good?"
I know for a fact that Belly has to actually pay Coast FM (find sponsors etc)to get Talking Hoops on air for the basketball community without getting anything himself. If thats not passion what is?

Reply #77325 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Anyone who seriously things the SANFL (who own the PAFC AFL licence) would allow them to pay $2.5  3 million dollars for a NBL licence is a complete moron.

The Port Power haven't even finished paying there own AFL licence why are they going to buy a alternative sporting licence, especially when they don't dominate there own sporting market.

Reply #77328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well put Kent!

Ego is one thing that the Sixers cannot afford if they are to move forward!

Reply #77329 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Joe M
If Port president Greg Boulton said that he would look at buying the Sixers as a business venture, then that is good reason to think they would do that. So I guess this is the person you are referring to as a "complete moron". If anyone knows anything about the Power's affairs, it would be Greg Boulton.

Joe, do you not like Port Power and therefore its having an influence on whether you think it would be good for the Sixers or not. Which footy team people support is really quite irrelevant. If they have the money and insight into making the Sixers a success, then they should do it.

Reply #77331 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ahhh but EC while I agree with you in principle that which footy team you support should be irrelevant, in Adelaide its not quite like that. Some of the football public are so polarised in their opinion of both the Power and Crows that they would turn away from the Sixers purely for the fact that a footy club they hate owned them. I still regularly hear a lot of people who will refuse to support the Power (or Crows) no matter who the opposition is - even if it means a premiership going to those evil Victorians! ;)

Reply #77332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went for port in the GF V brisbane but i DEFINATLEY go for the only good team, Adelaide Crows

if it was the crows then, yes that's fine cause they're RICH and cashed up.

Port are POOR well... almost.

No influence there

not

Reply #77336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I go for Port Adelaide and everyone that plays for the Crows!

Reply #77357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to 77325: its not paulS money is it ?

Reply #77379 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Statman, we are talking about the well being of the Sixers. Any true fan of the Sixers would want success for them regardless of which Footy team they followed. I too am strictly a South Australian supporter. I support Port Power but in the case of the Crows advancing further into the finals, then I will support the Crows over any other state's teams. I would be having this same argument if it was the Crows looking at buying the Sixers. The only thing I am concerned about whoever buys the Sixers is that they genuinely have the money and the vision to make it a complete success. None of this Hunter Pirates business please.

Reply #77381 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

#77357, are you saying that you like both the Crows and Port, or was that a typo?

Reply #77385 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Hey anon ;my mail on the consortium is a group of 3, 2 of whome you would have never heard of in basketball circles before. The other one that is pulling it all together is a former NBL Coach, I have certainly booed him at the Power House (but I boo everyone). The two other guys are no strangers to making a quid on an international scale, both have spent a great deal of time here. 1 is born and bred, the other is from the eastern states (I think) but calls SA home some times. Think bevereges. Can't garantee anything but to say if these guys get the sixers, they sure won't be moving from the Dome, thats a cert. I recon there could be a big change in what is sold over the bar. Although Coopers will stay for as long as they want too. The likleyhood of this getting off the ground is as likley as TWO DOGS R$#@**^G

Sorry, my spelling is crap awfull, im having a bad keyboard day.

Reply #77403 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Your are correct EC that I do support the Adelaide Crows but I didn't make those comments about the inability of the Port Adelaide Football club buying the Adelaide 36er as a slap in the face but more as a smart business move for a financially struggling sport organization.

Why would the Port Adelaide Power invest a large amount of money into an alternative sporting organization that potentially would not help them built their brand? I cannot see the Adelaide 36er being a financial cash cow for the Port Adelaide Power (or anyone for that matter for a while yet) so before they can see any financial benefit from this exercise they would have to pump money into it that potentially could go to there licence owners; the SANFL.

The AFL would not give them a hand out to participate in an asset profiteering exercised, the NBL is a rival competitor, so no I don't thing it would be a smart move for the PAPFC to buy the Adelaide 36ers, just as I don't think it would be a smart move for the Adelaide Crows football Club to purchase them.

Reply #77440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just on the sale of the Adelaide 36ers I have it on very good authority that Mark Robinson (former marketing manger of the 36er, is that his name) has shown interest in buying them but his bid was rejected for now

Reply #77441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joe m, economies of scale and common synergies

Reply #77443 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Excuse me? Care to expand that

Reply #77447 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Buying the Adelaide 36er will not make them a bigger organization and will not help them sell more season tickets; so buying the Adelaide 36er will not help them with their primary product (AFL football)

Reply #77448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joe m, economies of scale and common synergies = less costs, better results

Reply #77450 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

I understand economies of scale but how are you going to apply that to the Port Adelaide Football club buying the Adelaide 36ers?

They have 2 completely diverse products that cannot overlap each other; the Adelaide 36er cannot go and train at Alberton oval so how could it cut back on cost? They are not going to be able to mass-produce a product (resulting in cost less) and that how economies of scale should apply to a corporate takeover.

Reply #77453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West Sydney are owned by a rugby club arent they?

Reply #77456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to advertisers/printers/pr firms/other suppliers and say we want to spend alot more money with you = economies of scale. your internal staff that may not be working at full capacity in summer become busier. economies of scale apply to service organisations as well as any other business

Reply #77458 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Still not enough areas in an organization to make it financially viable

Reply #77464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sorry Joe you must be privy to the organisational design and procurement relationships in both the power and the 6ers.

it is highly likely that the power could acquire the 6ers; reduce the staff involved in running both organisations, consolidate on infrastucture requirements (IT, gym, offices, equipment, trainers etc.) and consolidate supplier relationships.

Reply #77469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sorry Joe you must be privy to the organisational design and procurement relationships in both the power and the 6ers.

it is highly likely that the power could acquire the 6ers; reduce the staff involved in running both organisations, consolidate on infrastucture requirements (IT, gym, offices, equipment, trainers etc.) and consolidate supplier relationships etc.

Reply #77470 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Your right and I am wrong, let all wait until the Port Adelaide Power buy the Adelaide 36ers shall we.

Reply #77482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes lets do that Joe - and you can sulk again because someone has come up with some valid points that go against your thinking.

Reply #77495 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Joe, No one said that Port Adelaide FC would buy the Sixers. Greg Boulton (president) said he would look at it. That does not equate to a definite sale so there are no guarantees that whoever is right and whoever is wrong will be determined. Joining 2 organisations together have definite financial efficencies when it comes to running costs. I don't think that Port Adelaide are looking at the Sixers to build their own brand, I just think it is to get another chunk of the sporting market. A bit like Coca Cola producing soft drinks and then grabbing a chunk of the Spring Water market with Mt Franklin water. The Water side of the business is not going to grow its trademark soft drinks business but offers benefits from getting a piece of another market.

Another benefit I can see from an AFL club owning the Sixers is that the seasons for each of the sports do not clash. Port Adelaide FC would be appealing to all its Football Fans to get involved with the basketball as an alternative activity for families in the opposite season to Football. They would promote something along the lines of Sports all year round. They have an investment in the Sixers, they would definitely encourage football fans to take to the basketball in the summer months. They could have some of the footballers attending and promoting basketball games. The possibilities are endless.

Reply #77502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the Power want to change the colours to like theirs?

Would they be known as the Port Adelaide 36ers?

Reply #77742 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

"Adelaide Power"

Reply #77998 | Report this post

Ali  
Years ago

That will be great if port buys the 36ies that meanes i get cheap games

Reply #135183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754