pickles housemate
Years ago

Good for the Goose, Good for the Gander?

Sources tell me that Abrams isn't flying into Adelaide this week as ABL rules state she has to be "domiciled" in the state she's playing ABL in. (no fly-in/fly-out)

Furthermore, rumour has it North are planning to play Erin Phillips in the ABL until she goes to the WNBA.

Problem is that clubs can't register and play players they know won't qualify for finals.

Topic #6909 | Report this topic

quack  
Years ago

does that then preclude hurst from playing norwood womens team and todd matthews from playing in the mens team?

i can't decide whether thats a good thing or a bad thing, but i am certain it will stuff up my tips...again.

damn.

Reply #77256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You should still be able to change your tips up until a certain amount of time before each game starts.

I think Caroline Nixon is out for Sturt, and Oscar rolled his ankle during the week too.

Reply #77257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny it was Norwood complaining about ABA technicalities regarding South's "imports". Lookss like they have been doingg a bit of the same.

Reply #77274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not south but southern.

Reply #77279 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

And not just basketball. If memory serves the same thing happened in Netball a few years ago. Natalie Avaleno (?) wasnt allowed to play for an Adelaide team because she still lived in Sydney, despite the fact she was in the process of moving and changing jobs....

I don't quite remember the outcome, but it was fairly big in the media at the time.

Reply #77296 | Report this post

wnba draft pick  
Years ago

no way north will play erin - she will not risk injury on the eve of her debut

she is away with the opals this week and flys out later in the month

she would only be availble for abl over easter - if there is games

too much to risk playing abl now she has big time international commitments

i have no doubt she will probably go to any games and watch

Reply #77300 | Report this post

wnba draft pick  
Years ago

she will hardly front v centrals at hillcrest when she has this as a home stadium the next week...

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=165913

Reply #77313 | Report this post

oliveoil  
Years ago

Wouldn't you think rather than punishing players for taking the initiative to play somewhere such as SA you would encourage it to make the competition stronger? Marons!

Reply #77359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't you think rather than punishing the 9 other clubs that might be trying to develop SA players, all clubs should be following the same rules? You my friend are the moron! Who doesnt consider the long term development of SA players as important. If I were a Norwood ABA Women, or a junior at that club I would belooking to move to a club which isn't going to forsake my development to bring in other players.

Reply #77370 | Report this post

greeny  
Years ago

Norwood have a lot of juniors in their team so i dont think its fair to go that line. As for Erin shes a north player so why couldnt she play if she wants to. i dont think they either could be a team accused of recruiting over theie juniors, considering they are only one short of being all north juniors.
Good to see sturt going great with sturt juniors too.

Reply #77383 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

greeny, it's simple.

I believe that Erin can't play because ABL clubs cannot play players who won't qualify for the ABL Finals.

Erin is off to the WNBA, which starts before ABL finals.

I believe the ABL finals qualification is 50% of the season's ABL games, plus 1 more ABL game.

Reply #77402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erin is actually a West junior. Lorenzini + Robinson are recruits. Not a large number but more than some clubs considering they are all would be in the main rotation. And pickles it is 40%.

Greeny, if you take a good look at Norwood you will see the Hurst + Abrams + Keller + Mostart + Wingfield would mean that more than half of the players in their rotation are not club juniors.

Reply #77415 | Report this post

damaged!  
Years ago

does that mean that the two games played v Southern should be reversed on a moral stand - they too broke the rules - this is the same club that spoke up about the Canadian players for South

Reply #77416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They broke the rules. Points for any wins should be deducted. That's what the NRL does and AFL penalises clubs too for indiscretions.

Reply #77419 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Stone them! We have had a stoning since the middle ages. Bring it back I say and stine the. Either that or we say stuff it and get stoned our self's.

Reply #77442 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Sorry about that it doesn't make sense I must be stoned myself. Or had a few too many drinks at lunch!

Reply #77460 | Report this post

dexy  
Years ago

stoned, drunk, high, whatever I though it was funny!!

Reply #77461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Norwoods points are not taken away....BSA...BASA....BASAaba whoever it is ...weak as piss as usual

Reply #77494 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Hence the title of the post... "Good for the Goose, Good for the Gander?" We have to wait and see.

Reply #77528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does tha mean that Forestville should have their points taken away for games in which Jenni Screen played. The ABA by-laws state that players who will ot be eligible to play in the finals are not allowed to be placed on the registere playres lists.

Reply #77548 | Report this post

g-diddy  
Years ago

Some interesting points here, if you look at the hoops stats provided by our friend isaac here you will se that teams are playing up to 18 different players so far this season although only 12 can play in 1 game (and most likely only 12 will go into finals). Teams are still sorting their rosters and at this point in the season any player playing can make the quota for finals (40% of the season as posted earlier) players only need to play 9 games to qualify, Abrams from norwood, Screen from forestville even phillips from north however unlikely could get their 9 games in. who knows what will come.

if a player plays this week and tears her ACL should we lose the points cause she wont qualify for finals??

on the other side of the coin any team (in contention for finals) that plays a player for the first time in round 16 should be sanctioned for that action as there is no way for that player to qualify for finals. Or if screeny returns from the opals in round 18 I would hope forestville would recognise that she cannot qualify for finals so they would leave her out of the team.

Reply #77554 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

g-diddy - Your "ACL" scenario is simple. You can put injured player on injury waivers & play a replacement, provided the injured player misses a minimum of 3 games (along with other conditions). An example of this is start of this year, Forestville/Ranford/Screen at the beginning of this year.

You can replace an injured player (Ranford), so Screeny replaced Ranford, because ranford was on injury waivers. (Screen was a restricted player, but Ranford was injured, so F/ville could play Screen).

Your 2nd scenario is simple too. Screeny CANNOT play any game if the club KNOWS SHE CANNOT qualify for finals.

Screeny also cannot replace another F/ville player for the finals, if Screeny hasn't played enough games to qualify for finals.

Hope i made this as clear as mud for you. :)

Reply #77743 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Just noticed my post to g-diidy clears up the (#77548) post above it.

Reply #77744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754