Phizzer
Years ago

CJ lone hand since Gaze/Heal depart?

"The Boomers have struggled in the back-court since the international retirements of Andrew Gaze and Shane Heal, with NBA hopeful CJ Bruton playing virtually a lone hand in the green and gold."

Noticed this in an article about Aaron Bruce. What do people here think about that statement? Was Maher ever really given a chance internationally? Was Jason Smith useless in a guard role?

Topic #6944 | Report this topic

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I really believe Maher was shafted by Barnes at the peak of his career, which may have limited his opportunities overseas (thankfully for the 6ers). I saw that game in Melbourne against the US just before the Olympics where he and Cat got junk-time. The look of frustration on their faces said it all.

Reply #77796 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I am a Victorian who has enjoyed hating (in a fun way) the 36ers for many closely fought play-off defeats.

From these came an enormous amount of respect for Brett Maher. His statistics are always excellent, but he contributes so much more than that when he is on the court.

The fact he has never received a chance to prove himself at Olympic or World Championship level is a travesty, and Australian basketball is poorer for it.

Reply #80920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754