Anonymous
Years ago

Sturt stadium safety issue

I was at the Sturt Stadium Good Friday and one of the stadium lights came crashing down onto court while young girls were playing. This was not just a globe but most of fitting. The only item that stayed up was the transformer. If this fitting had hit a child they would have been seriously hurt or killed. I hope the stadium management will check all stadium lights and if necessary add safety chains or some such thing.

Topic #6970 | Report this topic

Take Luck  
Years ago

yeah i saw that as well. would have really hurt someone if it had hit them

Reply #78102 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

part of the problem in the past has been pasadena high kids kicking a footy around inside and whacking the light fittings

all light fittings should be fully checked by an appropriately qualified person immediately!

Reply #78143 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

I heard they are using the same duct tape to hold up the lights as they are using on the floor.

Reply #78158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same thing happened at unley today as well, light fell down from the roof.

Something must be done

Reply #78163 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

i saw the pas light and the unley lights fall. someone could of been kiled. at pas, imagine if it was during an aba training session and hit oscar forman or another star player. could cause alot of problems for pasadena high and for basa.

Reply #78210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris,

Sturt have never trained at Pasadena!

Reply #78221 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

sorry then.

wat if it was in a game that could of been bad. they definetly need 2 get it checked out.

were does sturts aba team train then?

Reply #78234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we train at St Peters college.. only the best!!

Reply #78247 | Report this post

NBA to Oz  
Years ago

must say ... It is not the kind of thing you want happening because yes someone would have been badly hurt. For the Pasadena Lights... they are aluminium and plastic - they are really light and it wouldn't have caused a fatality, unless the person it hit had already had medical complications.

It was a terrible thing to happen, especially since it happened without warning and there would have been no way to control it - unless you ran.

Does need to be checked and yes it seems as though stadium management will be getting on to that in the very very near future you would think.

Reply #78249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hanging lights at stadiums are always a problem as they are prone to get hit every known and again and eventually that will take its toll and with no warning they could just fall.
should be some sort of system in place to have them checked reguarly.

Reply #78252 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Kinda weird how a light fell at Pasa AND unley in such a short time span. I think I'll be a bit more cautous next time I play Sturt.

Reply #78256 | Report this post

JKIDD#5  
Years ago

well the easter carnival was being played all easter weekend and there was no cautions put into place at unley or pas and now they got TI camp this week for the 16s so somthing needs to get done

Reply #78267 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

To Chris #78234; Are you sure the lights fell in both Sturt and Pas? It seems a huge coincidence over the same carnival

Speaking to some parents on the weekend they were at Sturt stadium when the light fell and are kind of suprised a bigger deal has not been made of it, but I was at Pas for a good chunk of the carnival Sat & Sun and despite hearing the Sturt story heaps of times no one mentioned a light at Pas falling.

Reply #78285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could have "BASA" been in so much debt? Cos it seems to me, with the way that Pasadena was built, they must have been saving some money there with the "shifty" work on the lights, on the scoreboards and on the floorboards.

It's especially great when you are on Court 3 and you notice that it's a "split level court"!

Reply #78286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vader are you trying to say you aren't sure if the story of the Pasa light is true? Or just amazed it wasnt made a big deal at the stadium?

Reply #78292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It defiently happended at pasa, was sitting there in the stands talking then you heard this bang turn around and a light fixture is sitting in the middle of the court. Extremely lucky it happened while both teams were in their huddles.

Reply #78297 | Report this post

smelty  
Years ago

They really have to do something about the lights. I was there when it happened. The uic did the right thing but something needs to be done about that stadium the flooring needs to be done again and they should get a qualified person to cheeck the whole stadium and also the roof on court 2 at wayville it always leaks

Reply #78298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it didnt actually happen when both teams were in their huddles. All the players were on the court down the bar end and the ball was being passed in at the time at about foul line on the grandstand side when a snap was heard and focus turned on a light falling in the centre. Game was delayed and players went to their benches while the mess was cleaned up and the whole court sweeped to prevent injury from the fine plastic cover that the casings have.

Reply #78306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am so confused isn't Pas and Sturt stadium the same place?

Reply #78321 | Report this post

PUNTER  
Years ago

Sturt Stadium burnt down in a fire a number of years ago. Pasadena Stadium was built as Pasadena High School and Sturt use the Stadium as there home court.
Unley High School is a Sports For All stadium that BSA has nothing to do with.

Reply #78369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard the reason that the light fittings are loose at Pas is becasue school students kick the footy around inside.
If thats the case its not a bsa thing then its a school thing.

Reply #78583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754