Curious
Years ago

Locked: Southern Walkout?

Heard a rumour that the Southern Under 14 Girls walked out in the final quarter against the Woodville girls. Is there any truth to this rumour and if so why did they?

Topic #6993 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe so, from what I got told(so there is every chance that it could be wrong) pretty full on game, alot of fouls, one girl got hit & southern not happy. Probably more to the story but that's the general jist of what I got told.

Reply #78302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is true apparently because of the referees. and also on sunday night a guy from nunawading went off at the refs because his daughter ran into a girls elbow and cut her lip he was an absolute ******* idiot

Reply #78303 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

This team has had an unbelievable year!!!
Jason Balfour sacked as coach

South pinching players by paying fees

and now a walk off!

Not exactly a what parents had in mind back in October

Reply #78310 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Indiana

Life is full of uncertainties!

I am sure it will make them a stronger playing group.

Reply #78313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When in doubt...WALK OUT!

Reply #78314 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

there is several key comments here

at div 1 level there should never be a walk out

the refs need to manage the game - however they can not stop a spit

everyone needs to find a common ground

i noticed the vic refs let a lot more physicality go - and noticed a lot of kids really throwing themselves in a lot more than normal - to counter the vic playing style

it is all about the right people being in the right spots

a div 1 coach walking out is very very bad for the club and players - there should be certain key checks in place before it got to that level

if the players are getting uneccisarilary injured it is of concern and the coach needs to protect his charges

however players will get injured - it is a fact of the game and unless it is deliberately reckless some games will be physical

Reply #78317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you comment on the circumstances easter bunny?
You dont know what went down!

Reply #78318 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

sounds like southern going down to me....

not good press...

Reply #78324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I spoke to someone involved but I will not say who. Many different versions of the story were told but this is the truth. The southern coach apparently got angry with the umpires because the Wooville girls were bumping cutters in the key. The girls used their elbows (not on purpose of course) and it is understood that the umpires werent calling fouls. The Tigers thought that the coaches were favouring Woodville and thats why they walked out. After the game both coaches were talking about what had happened.

Reply #78327 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

don't get me wrong - it could have been neccessary - however walk outs at div 1 level are very few and far between

when i mean checks i am referring to points in teh match that should have been handled - by officials or coaches or even players - tyo get it back into perspective

Reply #78328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another one to add to the storied Southern incidents of the last couple of years.

Reply #78329 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

i would expect the cutter to be bumped - but not taken out

some teams have been told for years to hack and grab playing tops - we all know it and work with it and they get caught occasionally

an offical protest or a request to stop the game and an offical oversee would have been more in order

Reply #78330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has it ever happened in SA before at a Div 1 level?

Reply #78334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"bump cutters" - pretty standard stuff really.

Reply #78336 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

actually, was there @ Port, and the foul count was supposedly 9-7 in the first period, then 9-8 in the second... so nobody can say there was nothing called!!! and later, a Southern parent was report by a neutral BSA offical for being verbally threatening to him in reference to the game. As far as I am concerned, referees never win... either they get hammered by one team, or they get hammered by the other, or get hammered by the spectators... why do the games??? the referees don't get paid enough to cop that kind of BS from anybody!

Reply #78342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the score when they walked out?

Reply #78344 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

exactly john

if it was a government workplace they would be up on harrassment

REMEMBER BASA have policies in place to support people who are doing the right thing

evryone needs to take a step back and take a reality check

basketball sa heirachy wants to know whenever any out of line stuff happens so they can keep track and look for serial offenders

good to see the parent had their number taken

Reply #78345 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

if they had vic refs - i can understand some misunderstanding - there is a cultural difference what is fair game

a switched on coach would adjust to the reffing style - not just blame them

Reply #78346 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

later in the afternoon, a young referee copped a verbal lashing from a Rockets coach during a game over a couple of 50/50 calls that didn't go his way... when he tried the same on me, being the 2nd referee involved in the same game, he was put very quickly in his place, but without having to use a Technical... even though he more than deserved it considering the language he was using. I am more than happy to listen to a coach when he/she is talking in a civilized manner, but when they want to play "bulldog", i put them down and back into their kennel with equal pleasure and energy. Most coaches / spectators must realize that they have no right to abuse the referees, and if they want to keep it up, then they should be removed from the coaching ranks or thrown out of the stadiums forever if they are a spectator.

Reply #78355 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

referees try to do an honest game... if coaches don't like it... LEAVE THE SPORT!

Reply #78357 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

it will be interesting to see if those girls are lost to basketball in 12 - 24 months time

nobody wants that sort of thing happening

chill and enjoy

Reply #78358 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

exactly john - leave the reffing to the refs and coaching to the coaches and supporting to the supporters

Reply #78359 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

problem with this coach, easter bunny, is that he is also a high level referee.

Reply #78364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Comment removed.)

What a great example you set. Do as I say, not what I do.

You can't be a top level referee and abuse referees.

Reply #78371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon (#78371)

Agreed, set an example

Refs do a worse job when they're abused, especially young ones, I think we've seen recently in this state games being delayed due to a lack of referees, and we still wonder why some people do not enjoy running up and down a court for one hour being verbally abused for a low wage?

Reply #78377 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

Stop blaming refs. Protect them

Walking off quite simply justifies why Southern is where they are at. It is about time the club looked at itself.

Southern and Woodville are loseres and quite frankly who really cares.

Thank god our kids do not play there. Good on Jason Balfour for leaving and going to a decent club.

Reply #78382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

W...aste
O...f
F...ucking
T...ime
A...nd
M...oney

Thanks for the comment regarding Southern and Woodville above....atleast by the very use of ur name ( Woftam ) we know what u think of your club.

Reply #78385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the walkout justified by the possible injury/safety to players?

It must have been out of control

A tribunal or explanation to Norwwod committee?

Reply #78391 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

If the coach politely explained that he felt the situation was dangerous to his team to the Tournament official BEFORE walking the team off, then I wouldn't have a single problem with it. But he didn't, so as far as I'm concerned, it was nobody's fault except his.

Reply #78398 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

If that is the case John , then some questions need to be asked?

Very unusual!

Reply #78399 | Report this post

tigers player  
Years ago

Mmmmmmmmmmm well i play for the under 14s div 1 team and think it was stupid on wat our coach did when he pulled da game off all because of dis i am thinking off moving clubs cause it is bullshit we could hav atleast finished the game.Tigers have all gone down hill since they sacked jason balfour he was a good coach.But i stil think our coach should'nt have pulled the game off that is just so stupid.Well anyway i probably wont be playing for tigers much longer.

Reply #78403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were you umpiring that game john?

Reply #78404 | Report this post

how dumb  
Years ago

surely referees should know that commenting publicly on games in any way contravenes their code of conduct.

you certainly don't see the top refs like Haines, Filmer, Wieland, McDonald, Clover justifying or commenting on games here.

They may occassionally clarify a rule - maybe some others should take a leaf out of their book.

Reply #78408 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Gee, school holidays come around so quickly these days.

Reply #78409 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Surely you can't accuse referees of contravening their code of conduct by posting on this website, especially when almost every coach, player and spectator has at one point "contravened the code of conduct", you read the offical codes? I'm pretty sure it says something about not ever questioning a referee?

Reply #78410 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

Thanks, Phizzer... and no... I didn't referee the Woodville vs Southern Tigers game.

Reply #78411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger player

was the game rougher than normal?

Reply #78412 | Report this post

packyabanjo  
Years ago

Typical for a country team like Nourunga. Have shown a distinct lack off class over the last couple of years.

Reply #78428 | Report this post

how dumb  
Years ago

Phizzer

Yes, the referees should abstain from commenting.

the point I made, you do not see higher officials making comment.

Why, cause they uphold their code of conduct!

Maybe why they are at the top, and others are way behind.

and JUST because someone else does it does that make it right for the refs to do it.

open your mouth on here, where it remains to open view and put your name to it or something that makes you identifable and your words will come back to haunt you time and time and time again.

smart refs won't make a comment

Reply #78436 | Report this post

tigers player  
Years ago

well the game was rough but not as normal they were just physical like all teams the only reason he pulled the game because of the refs and in the thrid quater one of the woodville girls elbowed one of our girls in the nose twice and there was blood everywhere there was a trail form the court to the toilets.

Reply #78439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the score when it stopped?

Reply #78446 | Report this post

tigers player  
Years ago

im sorry anonymous i dont no the score i didnt look i was just angry with the coach for pulling it off.

Reply #78447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I assume you were winning or not?

Reply #78449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers player, did you consider raising this with your coach and sorting this out within the club confines before deciding to air your grievences on a public forum such as this.

What is it with the u/14 age group at this club ( both girls and boys ) It seems as if the parents and players are doing their absolute best to tarnish the name of this club...not doing a bad job of it either from what i understand.

Reply #78450 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Time for another meeting at Southern, they cant take a trick at the moment.

Reply #78451 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

How Dumb

That's my point, those refs you mentioned don't comment on here to follow the code of conduct, they don't comment because they have integrity, however, commenting is a form of communication and I think contructive communication from an intelligent referee is a valuable thing.

Also, how many incidents have been raised on here where those refs were directly attacked? And if so, I'm sure others would come to their defence without them needing to.

Reply #78452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so it was the coach that pulled the team, not the team spitting the dummy.

wonder what/if any repercustions will happen at southern to that coach.

Reply #78453 | Report this post

big but  
Years ago

problem with this coach, easter bunny, is that he is also a high level referee.

JOHN LAWRENCE, Why are you making comments like this on here? Referees should not be slandering other Referees on this website.
If you have a probelm please speak to the referee in charge or to Neil Poulton.........

Also I don't think you should be making comments about the coach being wrong when you were not involved in the game yourself and further to that you are a referee.

I am sure you would not like it if the coach wrote on here how bad your umpiring might have been???

why dont you shut up and retire from writing on this webiste.

Reply #78459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here comes the jerry springer show

Reply #78460 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Or the Bold and the Beautiful!!

Reply #78462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are the days of our lives.

Reply #78464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah, definately the springer show.

we are the audience watching the poor white trash ( insert southern / centrals / woodville ) going at each other no holds barred

iiii saak
iiii saak
iiii saak

Reply #78465 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Time to lock this one up before tonights deluge.
More locked threads for southern than little basketballs.

Reply #78466 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

So we can assume that the "high level referee" coach from North Adelaide is who was named?

I do not think names should be mentioned on this thread, especially if they are being derogatory and inflammatory.

If you want to praise and commend, by all means, give us their name, but complaining about someone personally on a public forum is not on really. Especially as I doubt he's reading and following this, therefore not permitting to defend himself. Actually, probably wouldn't he care what a "ABA Championship starting Courtside Announcer" and an Anonymous (#78371) poster think anyway.

Isaac, any chance you could delete mention of this referee's name?

Reply #78467 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Agree his name should not appear ,Phizzer.
To much slanging for no good outcome.

Reply #78469 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754