Anonymous
Years ago

CRAP STADIUMS

We really have to do something about the dome. First of all the scoreboard should be working all the time. Not occansionlly, some nets should be put up for friday nights and social and aba reserves, Also atleast open up the room at the far end of the main enterance for the refs so they have a place to put there bags and hang out. And put a lock on the door in the refs room toilet this is absolute crap if you cant afford a lock how can u afford the sixers???? sell them they are a drain on money.

Topic #6994 | Report this topic

easter bunny  
Years ago

here here

the dome is the flagship stadium

I do not know why woodville don't open the bar on friday nights

the bar is open at other stadiums and it makes for a great social vibe

i know it is kids night - but a social beer on a hot night amongst the parents would not hurt

the net will never happen on the 3rd court - the cost would be way too much

the ref request is a good idea

they can put the barrier down between court 2 and 3 - it is often down

Reply #78312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well neal bridgeman is the one who is always complaining about the net being up and the dome is so quiet on fridays wayville has a great atmosphere with the bar

Reply #78316 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

aren't toilets supposed to be crap???

Reply #78323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compared to the stadiums in Vic, ours are small and very tacky. Im sick of coming second to Vic's. For instance the only decent stadiums are the Dome (home to Woodville), Mars (Norwood), Wayville( Forrestville) and Paseadena (Sturt) but all these are only 3 courts! All the other stadiums need a makeover.

Reply #78331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apparantly UHS is building on another 2 courts to make it a 5 court stadium

Reply #78333 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

starplex is one of the best

i agree and so does basa - they have publicly stated that port, marion, hillcrest are not upto fiba standards

morphett vale is bio-degrading nicely and should be on that list within the next 5 years

why cant clubs have working bees?

a coat of paint at soem would be good at soem stadiums

but we see so many other nonsense things getting new venues - ie new grandstand at football park
and basketball missing out

Reply #78335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the government should just give basa 1 billion dollars redo the stadiums properly and get out of there debt and actually be a decent organization

Reply #78338 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

kevin foley - stop posting under anon!

Reply #78348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the hell is kevin foley?

Reply #78350 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

Victoria, especially MSAC and Bendigo have some of the best stadiums in Australia... but even NSW have better stadiums than SA... the worst stadiums of the Waratah clubs that I've seen was at Parramatta Wildcats and Sutherland Sharks ... but even they could beat Marion, Hillcrest, Port and also Morphett Vale. Parramatta had 3 courts, and Sutherland had 4.

Penrith Panthers, Hills Hornets or Central Coast Power could beat Wayville... and Newcastle Hunters or Manly Sea-Eagles would thump all over Pasadena by a mile. I haven't seen Mars, Mt Barker or the Starplex, but I don't know if any of them could really beat the atmosphere for basketball of a Waratah conference stadium.

Reply #78351 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

melbourne have some holes - eltham high is good - but the eltham rec centre is port adelaide's twin stadium - it has a swimming pool - port has the river - that's the only difference

exactly john - if people only saw what others had - HOWEVER we need to fully understand the ownership and history behind each stadium

we are fed a lot of BS here in sth aust because we are a little isolated at times

Reply #78354 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

very true, easter bunny. I noticed Port has it's history as the home of a NBL championship with West Adelaide Bearcats.

Each stadium may have it's historical value, but like Newcastle getting the ABA National Finals this year... why couldn't BASA have put a combined effort for the DHD and Wayville to host it??? The DHD could have hosted the grand finals... what a great way to showcase South Australia's very good basketball program???

Reply #78361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern and South courts and buildings are crap. The lighting is terrible.

Reply #78362 | Report this post

PUNTER  
Years ago

M/Vale has been painted white inside and that has helped to make it brighter in there. They have done a far bit of work inside and around the stadium. Still could do with a visit from a bulldozer and start again though.

Reply #78365 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

that is a start - funnily enough i thought mvale was a bit lighter last few times i had ventured there!

Reply #78368 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Eat more carrots Bunny!!!

Reply #78372 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

From the eagles web site

" The club is based at the Wayville Sports Centre, the best facility for district basketball in South Australia. "

mmmm ......

best floors are at wayville for sure - but starplex is best all round facility - aircond, good facilities / viewing areas etc

Reply #78379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unley is going to build one or two new courts but i don't think district basketball will be played there though.

Reply #78388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John please take your foot out of your mouth before posting on here.

West Adelaide won their NBL champsionship playing at Apollo and based at Bowden both stadiums returned to the community.

they then went to Athol Park (now a storage facility) in '89 and on to St Ives now the Port Adel Rec Centre in the mid 90s.

Reply #78393 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

Anonymous (#78393), you took my words out of context... i was meaning that West Adelaide has won an NBL championship, and that the Portside Recreation Centre is now the home of that club. So maybe you should ask what I was meaning before suggesting I pull my foot out of my mouth... cause you just did it yourself!!!

Reply #78394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not the way you said it John - why would BSA put in a bid to hold this years ABA Finals and anyone of any intelligence knows that basketball in this state is in administration.

How can you even contemplate BSA offering to host an event when it can't even pay its current creditors.

Let us sort the financial mess out first and put a new structure and administation in place ... baby steps let us not bite of more than we can afford to chew.

Reply #78406 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

old lesson... sometimes you have to be aggressive (marketively speaking) in order to be progressive. Going for the ABA Nationals would be one step that BSA could have taken.

yes, it is over the top in terms of grandiose ideas, but if that is what is needed for the national spotlight to see there are positive signs for South Australian basketball, then wouldn't it be worth it???

Reply #78419 | Report this post

Alan Bond  
Years ago

John - "old lesson... sometimes you have to be aggressive (marketively speaking) in order to be progressive."

I taught that class!

look at how that worked out for me...

Reply #78425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John agressively market with what

face it you don't know what you talking about.

I'd rather see basketball in SA become stable financially than see someone running off at the mouth and getting the ABA finals

what is the use of showcasing the DHD if it is sold, what is the use of apply to hold the finals and not having Wayville or the DHD to hold it in.

Why apply to hold it when the current state of basketball is IN ADMINISTRATION!

I do not disagree that with everything be right in the world we should host the finals, it would be a good thing for us to do.

but in the current financial climate and with BSA in ADMINISTRATION what is there to agressively market.

And Alan Bond, I'm sure Christopher Skase, and a few ex basketball administrators took the same course.

John, shut the gate mate, the sheep are all escaping.

Reply #78432 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

BSA has too many bad stadiums!

Reply #78445 | Report this post

Axe Man  
Years ago

Boys, Girls lets face it; we are stuck with the stadiums we have unless private enterprise steps in ah la starplex/ Wayville.

The government has already poured millions of $$ into the Dome only to have to step in and sort out the mess years later.

You can talk about the new stand at footy park, then look over your shoulder to the dome. Footy got a stand, we got a new home.

Basketball in this state was in trouble when they laid the flagstone for the entertainment ctr. If BASA was allowed to hold concerts and stuff at the dome I dare say money would not be a problem at the moment, and we could have been in the last phase of replacing old stadiums.

What could have been. We are stuck with what we have got. There will be many more coates of paint at southern before a new stadium appears.

Reply #78518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John, and you know what they say:
he who hesitates, mas......!

Reply #78538 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

easter bunny, anyone, what are thses 'nets'? do you mean the blue barrier between courts 2 & 3 that is sometimes used? if not, then what?

Reply #78635 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

I agree with Easter Bunny, open the bar at Woodville Friday nights at least. I am one of a group of parents that love to have an ale after the kids match on Friday nights.

Pasadena & Forestville have a great club vibe in their bars Firday nights, Hillcrest's is cosy, but open at least.

More people hanging around buying a drink after the game means more money for the club. The kids usually hit mum or dad up for $$ to buy somthing from the canteens as well.

I cant remember the Bearcats bar being open on Fridays, any one know?

Are there any other bars at stadiums that have district on Friday nights that are open that I dont know about??

Reply #78683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOOK ONLY WAYVILLE AND STARPELX R GOOD ALL THE OTHERS ARE SHIT

Reply #78684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can remember the bar at Bowden never closing!!!
Beers every friday night in the old days!

Reply #78686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mars kicks wayvilles butt!!! #78684

Reply #78719 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Southern has been attempting to have teh bar open, but license expired. work in progress.

Reply #78738 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Pickles housemate...

When you say work in progress, are you referring to the clubs efforts to aquire the additional hours for the bar licence, or are you referring to the cirrhosis of your liver that your currently working on

Reply #78769 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

So the poor President will have to drink at home - and pay for it now.

Reply #78801 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

I personally think the best bar ever was the Woodville run bar at the now defunct Athol Park. Great veiw over the court(when they finally got a glass backboard).

They even started serving meals on Sunday nights (could have been Saturdays, drank to much)

I didnt know they had a bar at Mars, but I dont go there that often. Where is it?

Reply #78821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At mars it's on the other side of the canteen behind the glass windows at the end of the main court.

Reply #78840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mars' bar is great a good atmosphere there on friday nights u can have a drink and still watch the game on the main court
nice work

Reply #79038 | Report this post

pest  
Years ago

does anyone else find the above statement amusing?

...maybe its just me

Reply #79823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd really need to go to the Mars Bar to appreciate it!!!!!!!! Just make sure you don't have too many drinks!!!!!!

Reply #79827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754