Anonymous
Years ago

What is with umpires calling nothing!

Has anyone noticed that umpires ONLY ever call cahrges when the defensive player falls down..it is pathetic. I always try to make good postioning when it is one on one on a fast break. Being a post, i find it hard to fall down, especially when a little girl is charging at me, but why dont umpires call anything when this happens. WHY DO U NEED TO SEEMINGLY ALWAYS HAVE TO FALL OVER TO GET A CHARGE CALLED????? some one please answer!!

Topic #6995 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's nothing better when a player "flops" and the ref tells them to get up!

Reply #78337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look i am a ref i call alot of charges and i look at the big players but lots of refs do so because of the size of the players

Reply #78340 | Report this post

Why don't you fall over then, Einstien.

Reply #78343 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

look at the defense

feet / stance

arms / knees in ?

facing position within the cylider?

is the contact straight down the middle of torso?

then charge or push on offence!

if it is a brush past - no call

if the defence is not legal it is a defensive foul

if the ref is asleep - it will be missed!

lets talk about when the shooting motion starts and the current trend to count points and complement the game - yet the offical rule book says steps and shooting motion are 2 seperate actions!

Reply #78347 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

oh .... and you can't stand directly under the basket and get a charge nowdays!

Reply #78349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote:

"oh .... and you can't stand directly under the basket and get a charge nowdays!"

Of course you wouldn't anyway, you taking a charge for a reverse lay-up?? But I get what you saying

Sell a charge to a ref, otherwise it's good defence, let it go, bring back the biff!!!

Reply #78376 | Report this post

easter bunny  
Years ago

NBA style - can't get a charge standing in that little arc under the basket - have to allow shooter to land under ring trying to score

no little arc here painted but same principal incorporated

Reply #78378 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

bahah ELG, love ur work :P

Reply #78456 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

easter bunny you should have said it's just a jump to the left,
then a step to the right,
knee's together,
put your hands on the hips,
and do a pelvic thrust.

Reply #78505 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

it's much more enjoyable when the game flows - and a big reason the game is screwed now is because the umpires are instructed to OVER OFFICIATE the game.

the good refs in the league, let a bit of push and shove go - in the interests of keeping the game flowing.

too much stop and start kills the enjoyment for all concerned.

Reply #78558 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Easter Bunny you need to check the rules my friend.

1. There is no under the basket rule except in the Nbl.

2. If a player is in his steps then he is considered to be in the act of shooting.

Even if fuled on the first step.

Reply #78579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeff, much more enjoyable to who. I know I wouldnt want to watch a scrapy game where offensive players can get away with dribbling out of control into a defender for te sake of allowing the game to flow. it doesnt look good and definitely dosnt flow.

Reply #78718 | Report this post

Anonymous1  
Years ago

I see what you mean... If you then charged at the little girl, chances are she's gonna go crashing to the ground and it'll be a offensive foul on you.
But there's always another option if the littel girl comes at you and there's no charge called and you're in position:
Give her a smack around the head behind the play...
(Trust me it works)

Reply #78812 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Maybe everyone who likes to jump on here and bag a ref should do a course and and become one. Be apart of a solution rather then being apart of the problem. I am sick of all this 'ref bashing' on here. The sport needs more ref's so maybe people should go out and start do a few games and helping the sport rather then constantly having a go at the people who get paid little money to do a thank-less job.

Reply #78817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754