TP
Years ago

Marion Stadium use

Does anyone know why Marion Stadium isn't used for district games on Tuesday nights? Before the current div 5 mens season started, about 50% of games were scheduled there, then a week before round 1 they all got moved elsewhere.

Topic #7009 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

My understanding, and the reason I've heard, is lack of umpires for the games. They already have them at the dome so all of our ressies games that were scheduled at marion this season got moved to 10pm at the dome. Fresh

Reply #78584 | Report this post

Current Ref  
Years ago

Games were moved out of Marion because of the social competition there on a Tuesday

Reply #78588 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

looks like no stadium is in use

Reply #78590 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

No offence to anyone who plays there on a Tuesday, but I think it's a bit rough for district games to get bumped for a social comp. I pay my fees each season, so it would be nice to be able to make use of a 'home' stadium. Who makes the desicion about schedulling? BASA? Stadium Manager?

Reply #78594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lockstock when you say "you heard" or "you thought" is this because someone actually told you or just because you made something up and wanted to look like you were in the know?

The Marion situation never had anything to do with Referees.

And Matt Ryan ENGAGED!!

I'm pretty sure you have to be OVER 18 to get married in Australia, which would count out all of Matty's Under 18 North girls!

Reply #78595 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I was told in a very non-official conversation. I couldn't give 2 s*#ts if I am in the know or not

Reply #78598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone would like to have use of their "home" stadium. unfortunately that cannot be the case as social sports bring in more revenue for the stadiums than the district comp does. Besides that the dome is pretty much central for all teams concerned, and I for one would rather drive to the dome than to the other side of town to play!!

Reply #78605 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

10PM GAMES ARE TO LATE DURING THE WEEK PEOPLE WORK OR GO TO SCHOOL FOR DIV 2 WOMAN AND MEN THEY HAVE SCHOOL KIDS IN THAT GRADE.SO OPEN UP MARION SO THEY PLAY AT A GOOD TIME.

Reply #78616 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I agree! I had games scheduled at 6:00 and 7:20 @ Marion which all got changed to 9:40 or 10:00 at the Dome and Morphett Vale.

Reply #78620 | Report this post

Boss Man  
Years ago

TP without the social competitions which run at numerous stadiums across Adelaide, those stadiums would not exist. Wayville and Pasadena would never have been built if not for the social and miniball competitions they have. Marion, Morphett Vale the Dome need the social competitions to stay open. Without Social at Marion; it would be closed for good. Would you rather that?

Reply #78622 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Of course not, its just that I've only played about 2 games in six years at Marion for South Adelaide and it gets a little frustrating. I just wanted to know what the stadium was being used for and the reason for shifting games elsewhere.

Reply #78626 | Report this post

Roy Bird  
Years ago

it gets used for social games, which probably makes more money than district cos the refs get paid less and the players pay pretty much the same as a district game.

Reply #78645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

div 5 fully timed games 10 players a game, scorers, mangers, coaches sign in for free.

say $9.10 (and i'm only guessing at prices is 91.00 per game.

game times 4 games a night on a court is $364.00

then take out umpires costs
door keeper, umpire in charge wages

social grades 8 players per team, 6 games per night at say $10.00 a game and you have $480.00 coach and scorers have to pay as a spectator, and people playing social often bring spectators.

$364 - $480 income social grades would earn on these figures $116.00 per court per night. less umpires and other associated costs. Social umpires would think would earn less than District umpires.

Reply #78647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Your figures are wrong. There are usually 8 - 10 social games per night. Plus for every game there are 2 teams of 6 to 8 players.

Lets say for 1 game there are 2 teams of 7 players each. Each player pays $9 to play social.

14 x 9 = $126 per game (thats without spectators).

Then if you are a level 2 referee or above you get $10 a game, level 1 $9. (most social refs are now level 1 with the occasional level 2 so for average purposes we'll have 1 of both).

$126 - $19 = $107

Thats $107 PER GAME.

10 games at $107 = $1070
$1070 - $40(UIC) - $40(doorkeeper) = $990

Then there are expenses such as court hire, cleaners etc. Which would still keep it over at least $600 - $700 per night.

Reply #78653 | Report this post

stockton  
Years ago

Fair enough that social games bring in more cash flow. However, I think the district people who had games scheduled at 6:00 or 7:20 are a little dirty on that ALL those games are now scheduled at the dome at 10:00. I am more than happy to play at the Dome on a Tuesday night at an appropriate time. But playing a fully timed game that begins at 10:00 (usually after due to prior games running late), often has one umpire, and is usually played on court 2 whereby the coach can only be engaged at one end, is fairly poor. It means I do not get home until close to midnight, and most would agree that with work, school or university to follow the next morning, the situation is far from ideal. Needless to say, the lack of forethought that went into season planning is outrageous. I'd be happy to converse with those that disagree.

Reply #78657 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you stockton.

Reply #78746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any one remember when district used to be played at apollo?

the 10pm game often didn't start till after 11 games were often finished after midnight

Reply #78756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, they where a great basketball night out.
All Div 1 playing in one place, go for the first game and be there at the end even if it was nearly 1am.(No womens ball to watch before hand)
I guess the best of that is that you only played late every other week instead of every week.:)

Reply #78770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if there are a lack of stadiums for seniors why cant BSA find another stadium(s) some schools have quite decent two court stadiums that could probly be hired quite cheaply??

Reply #82526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754