EC
Years ago

NBL Blitz - How important is it?

I admit I have a lack of understanding of the importance of this event, but is it necessary for all teams to participate? If so, at what cost? At the moment its obvious there are more important things the Sixers should be doing. As quoted by Steve Breheny in today's paper -
"You'd prefer right now to be practising more than having practice games" He has hit the nail right on the head in that quote. After the trip to New Zealand, its obvious that staying at home and concentrating on practice is more important. Is this Blitz important enough to risk your position on the NBL ladder in the regular season? You might argue that all the teams are in the same boat but they're not. The situation is different for each team. That's not to say that any other team struggling in the pre season should not opt out also.

Topic #702 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's a boost for the NBL and I think it's a good opportunity to give time to bench players, but for the Sixers at least, it's coming at the end of a pretty flat-out month. And given the different game conditions (shorter games, barely any time between games) I think it could be of limited benefit to the team.

The Sixers will have spent 22 days of this month on the road before playing the first two games away from home as well. They got back from NZ last night at around 7 and they left for Cairns this morning at 11AM -- not much time to relax! Then they get back on Sunday at 10PM or something.

Reply #7067 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

We are stuck with it now so the smart thing will be for Phil and Steve to use it as more opportunities to run different combinations and get the guys used to working together under match conditions. just a shame that Brett can't be out there and exert some influence on proceedings. We must be struggling in the gaurd matchups.

Reply #7083 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10783614-23210,00.html

Reply #7146 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

I have to say i disagree with the comments of SJ regarding the fact the team would rather be practising then taking part in practice games. Surely the pre-season schedule is in some way decided by the coaching staff? The concept of the Blitz has nothing to to with how a team will perform in the seasons opening rounds but it is the build up of that team in the weeks prior to the season opener.

Too much time on the road? Yes i agree. But who's to blame...?

Reply #7405 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Who cares - we won! :D

Reply #7631 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What a wonderful thing it would be if we were all blessed with the gift of hindsight.

Reply #7633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We are. Do you mean foresight? ;)

Looks like a few teams came away with injuries though.

Reply #7636 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

What's down with Oscar?

Reply #7643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ankle. Sounded like he thought he would be OK for the season opener. At the physio a couple of times a day this week; might not be any point in him going out to Kadina.

Read somewhere that Hambour had also done his ankle. Wheeler too.

Reply #7645 | Report this post

Greg Ostertag  
Years ago

Damn, Ankle injuries suck!

Woodcock will have them right in no time.

Reply #7648 | Report this post

Ja  
Years ago

I think that there is a benefit in having the blitz. The problem is it hasn't been promoted enough. The NBL needs exposure as much as possible, and this type of format would be great to watch for new up and comming fans. They get to watch a variety of teams in a shorter period. It should have been televised on Fox, even if it was a highlight show.

As far as the debate between practise and playing the tournament, I read somewhere that the 6ers scheduled the games in NZ before it was confirmed the Blitz was on. Phil stated that he would not have played the games in NZ if he new the Blitz was on and that they would have practised more internally. I don't think you can say match practise (ie participating in the Blitz) is bad, it is just the fact that the teams weren't notified earlier and they didn't get time to practise more.

The bottom line is the 6ers had some match practise and we WON the tournament.

Go 6ers !!!!

Reply #7720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754