Anonymous
Years ago

Referee hassles in State League matches

What does everyone think about this letter of conduct to all referees and clubs.
It's the one about problems with coaches and players in the div3-5 comps on the sarefs website.
Check out website below if you're not familiar..

http://www.sarefs.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=63185&orgID=395&Oname=Referees&O1c=12&O10c=5

Topic #7023 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

I think some of that is warranted. But why exclude the ABA and Div 2 comp ? Anyone ?

Reply #78813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

See this other thread for some previous discussion on the topic.

Reply #78814 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I think that is to light. Lets get tougher on Coaches and Players.
1. Players or coaches who continuously dispute or react negatively to decisions will be given 1 warning only and then immediately given a Technical Foul if they continue.
2. Players or coaches who, after being given one technical foul still continue to dispute or react negatively to a decision will be given a second technical foul and thrown out of the stadium.
3. Any player or coach who is given 2 technical fouls in one game will be automatically suspended for 2 games and the club fined a fee of $XXXX.
4. Players or Coaches who abuse or harass a referee after the conclusion of the game will be reported and may face the tribunal for their actions and will not be permitted to attend a play or coach until the tribunal has been heard.
5. Players or Coaches who personally abuse a referee will be disqualified from the game immediately and removed from the stadium and given a 2 game suspension.
Coaches are responsible for the conduct of their spectators and must assist the referee in dealing with spectator problems. If they coach refuses to assist, then they will asked again to assist with thier spectator. If after this request they refuse, then the game will be ended by the umpire and the match declared as a forfiet with the offending club fined as per BASA forfiet fine. If the referee cannot identify which team the spectator is from then the game is to be stopped and the spectator is to be asked to leave. Failure to do so will result in a cancellation of the game and both clubs fined. Police attendance may also be requested.

Some are not differnet, but I think BASA should start hitting the clubs hard. I know some people will argue that some clubs can not afford it, some ref's might let the power go to their head etc etc, BUT, bad luck. Come down hard on coaches, players and specators and it will clean up quickly.

Reply #78818 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Your raising of financial penalties is an interesting idea. People might risk an ejection or a tech, but would they take on a fine of a couple hundred collars for their actions? Could this be useful for social competitions?

Reply #78837 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

People get techs in the heat of the moment, I doubt they'd be thinking about a fine. I've seen coaches and players lose games because of techs, they clearly aren't thinking about consequences.

How would you enforce the payment of fines? All clubs owe BASA money anyway, just add fines to the total!

As for social, they'd just withdraw from the competition. Like many social tribunals, just don't turn up, quit playing, never get penalised.

Reply #78844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phizzer,

Got to say...
your statement of people get techs in the heat of the moment is a cop out!!! Maybe a fine and harsh penalties may help those involved in the heat of the moment remember that moment - who knows, it might even make them grow up and become more level headed like a lot of other sports people are!!!

More level headedness allows for better competition, better presentation of the sport and therefore a better involvement from the general public. Look at how the AFL have streamlined the behaviour through their rules, enhancing the overall presentation of the game and making it better for all to be involved. Gone are the days where you see a fight every week and many bloody faces from biffs and dirty front on clashes. Gone also are the days where you only get 20,000-30,000 people to a game of Football on average - they have had to make most stadiums sit 40,000 plus to deal with it.

Only occassionally do you see and ugly incident in the role model level of the game - however, a lot of people can be heard saying they miss those days of hard nut footy!

Secondly, enforcing of fines... BSA is a business - there are debt collectors that act on behalf of the business to collect unpaid money. Very much like an unpaid electricity, gas, water, dentist, doctor, lawyer bill etc etc

They will get their money if they really want it!!!

Reply #78851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the rules need to be enforced and actually should have come in a while ago. I am a player and I hate it when other players on my team go for the refs, leave them alone and play the game.
I am also with Skyhook, why should ABA and Div2 players be exempt from these rules, that does not make sense to me and I feel it actually sets a bad example for the juniors who will tend to watch these games. Lets clean it up across the board not just for the lower divs and then we can all enjoy the game, players, coaches and REFS.
My 2 cents worth

Reply #78858 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Financial penalties could be required to be paid by the club concerned with their nomination forms. The point about BSA being a business is excellent. I get parking fines are they are enforced so why cann't a fine at enforced in basketball? If I am late in paying my fine, it just get bigger until it is taken to legal proceedings and I have to fork out the extra costs involved. Yes I know clubs owe BASA money, but set up a system where they have to be enforced.

Maybe the fines can be put towards umpires development and pay for level 1 course to get more people involved at the lower level???

ABA and Div 2 we have to regard as our 'elite' level in this State and they should have thougher rules. Also remember that the ref's have more experience and should be able to defuse a situation before it gets ugly, but if it is something they can not conntrol, then hit the clubs hard.

Issac point regarding social is an even harder question. I know social is an important part of keeping people involved in the sport, but I am of the belief that players who constantly abuse ref's have no part in this game. The why the sport is seen by the public is more important than losing a team or two in social.

I know BSA are short on resources but I am happy to put my hand up to make a difference and assist in developing tougher and enforcing rules.

Reply #78860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754