Anonymous
Years ago

Rule Clarification - Restricting Cutters

For all you you refs out there, or perhaps coaches/players who think they know more about the rules can some-one please clarify the following for me.

What can legally be done by a defensive player to stop/restrict cutters through the key e.g. degree of body contact etc.

Topic #7024 | Report this topic

BC  
Years ago

I'm not a referee and am not certain on their interpretation however, bumping cutters is widely taught.

I teach my guys to "bump cutters" but this doesn't literally mean to body check cutters. It refers to making body contact and getting a hand up to deny. This is generally enough to achieve the desired effect.

Reply #78836 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Hate to say this, as it's become a dirty phrase, but all comes down to advantage-disadvantage.

If the physical contact made in bumping the cutter causes a disadvantage to the cutter/receiver, then a foul should be called.

I believe refs are taught similar rules about guarding ball handlers, one hand okay (or one forearm) but two hands bad.

Reply #78841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the whole point of bumping the cutter is to disadvantage them and allow your team mate to get back into position...that means that every bump should be a foul?

Reply #78843 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Boxing out causes a disadvantage too through physical contact too.

I should say 'unfair advantage'.

Honestly, every situation is up to an individual umpire to make the call on whether an unfair disadvantage was caused.

This game ain't black and white.

Reply #78845 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Would people stop using my name.

Reply #78848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bumping a cutter... hmmm there is a legal way and an illegal way.

Of course advantage/disadvantage will always need to be judged by the official. Also, the official should judge the feel of the game (is there intent to hurt - making the action dirty... is the game 'on edge' or spiteful) and also consistency in application of the principles within the game.

But...
here is a few tips for a legal bump on a cutter (mind you this way the cutter is more often than not just bumping into you!!)

All players guarded without control of the ball need to be given time and distance. If an offensive player without the ball can see the defensive guard, then the referees will generally allow only one step as a guide... if the offensive player without the ball can not see the defensive guard, then the referee should allow a little more distance for the offensive player to first see the defense and then make their reaction (or effort to avoid contact).

All that the defensive player then needs to do, is maintain their position in their cylinder (no extended arms or elbows, no movement of the shoulders, hips or legs outside their normal stance). They should also ensure their feet are planted on the floor. All this should lead to relatively clean and fair contact off ball (given that Basketball is a sport where players expect contact!)

Remember though as the defensive, if you put yourself in that position you should expect contact, so don't cry if the referee decides on a non-call. However, if the offence extends arms or pushes through the legal defensive guard as outlined above, then an offence foul could well be considered. Do not move to 'find' or 'except' the contact once you have set, put yourself in the position where the contact will find you.

(Similar principles to the above can be considered for an offensive player setting a screen on a defensive player as they are basically blocking/guarding a player off ball)

Also further hints on great defensive pressure....

For an offensive player who has control of the ball, they must be expected to be guarded immediately, that is why the 'run and jump' defense for a cutter receiving the ball or for defensive traps is very effective in forcing the offense into charging the defense. Also 'help defense' achieves the same situation. All the defense has to do is establish a guarding position at contact point first, facing the offense. Then if the contact is on the torso, charging can be considered bt the official (no 'time and distance' is to be considered)

Remember, if the offense makes an effort to go around the defense, the defense may adjust as long as they don't move/jump forward... they may jump vertically, or move laterally and/or backwards, as long as they get to the contact point first and contact is still on the torso, the adjustment defense could well be considered good by the official and rewarded with a charge (as again no 'time and distance' is considered). All body parts must remain more than not inside the plane of the normal stance (in the cylinder).

Also remember, when guarding any player in the air, you must have established your position at the contact point before the player left the floor, in order to give that player a chance to change direction (and of course, not many people can change direction in the air!!!)

I know the initial question was about cutters, but thought I would add the info about guarding a player in control of a ball as well
to show some of the differences (key difference = time and distance)

Now all you defensive minds... go play hard, work your legs hard, don't search for the contact, let it find you and be fair (not dirty) off ball. Who knows, you may just get to use a bit more physical pressure on the offensive.

Reply #78850 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

It was also explained to me that it was not necessary to actually "bump" the cutter, just making them deviate slightly puts the timing of the offensive teams play off and gives the defence control of the clock...just another way of loooking at it..

So contact need not occur at all.

Reply #78903 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754