Jerry Richards
Years ago

Prediction on how the sales will go

A prediction. . . .

If you sit back and take a look at what has unfolded, some logic does come to mind.

First point has to be that the government has wiped the debt so therefore will be out to make as much money as possible and unfortunately junior clubs will not see any direct funds due to the good nature of the government as any sales wont even dent what has been lost.

As for speaking about one single buyer I think this thought is way off the pace there are three assets and only two sales will occur!

When talking about the sale of the Dome, strong, positive talk is that new owners would prefer (and I believe this is the governments belief too) to play the team out of the Entertainment Centre. This leaves the Dome a viable development opportunity. After some research I found out that you can build on 2/3 of the land at the current site, this would be plenty to build a nice housing development, therefore I think some one like Gordan Pickard would be interested in the purchase of the Dome, he has previously stated he isn't interested in the team.

As for the Lightning, no one in their right mind would purchase this team even though they are an Adelaide Icon. It just doesn't make business sense, not even in a package deal. Therefore I think the Lightning will continue to be ran by Basketball SA but with strict performance indicators, and then if that doesn't work the team would probably disappear.

Finally for the Sixers sale, a second, different buyer would go after the team. Naturally there will be a lot of interest but I think it will be viewed that selling to a corporation, here or interstate won't be the best option. I haven't heard too much about Belly's group still wanting to purchase but if they were still considering it I think that a group like this would be perfect. From what I understand they have a great deal of financial backing from a local business man, they have a good basketball network with their school clinic work, Academy and basketball special projects, so you would have to think for a group that would keep the team here in Adelaide this group seems to have all bases covered.

As for if the team does get sold and shifted who is to say someone else wouldn't start up a new franchise in Adelaide, basketball and the NBL needs a professional team in this state.

Definitely an interesting few months ahead.

Topic #7042 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yes but the land is not part of the deal, the council owns the land that the dome is built on.

Reply #79032 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

the main carpark can be built on but needs to be lead treated (very expensive) where the domes on and carparks to the left and right of it cannot be developed into residentual housing for a lot of years yet,

i think personally pickard would be the best option his idea of a super club linked with united has big merrit look at a lot of european clubs who have done this sucessfully and the fact that both clubs 36ers and united are clubs for all south australians not a select % ala if port bought it

Reply #79033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickard has said he will not buy the team.

Port Power - I don't believe they will buy it, they have enough trouble running their own club, didn't work with Carlton and the soccer and it won't work here.

Higgin's team - Please do not let them get it, the product will not improve, neither will the crowds and we will be back to where we are now in 5 years time.

Bell's Group - Seems like the ones that have the heart at game but more importantly the knowledge of the game. If they have the right person run the team and offer the right around for it and put some decent money into it, well to me it's a no brainer.

Reply #79045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The car park is not part of the deal, that is owned by the council, forget the dome being demolished for housing it aint going to happen, it is zoned community use (industrial) and will require a number of years yet for the land to be made available for residential use. Why dont you think the land on the corner of Toogood Ave and Williams Street that is used for free car parking hasnt been sold for residential - it cant be easily rezoned.

Reply #79049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - Why not open some betting on this :)

Market:

Power Power $2.20
Higgins $2.50
MVP (Bell) $3.00
Pickard $12.00

Reply #79050 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

If we are running a book on it Ill have $10 on Dave Claxton @ 50/1 :)

Reply #79052 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

pickard should be shorter odds then that and port at longer odds,

Reply #79057 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

didn't Pickard say that he wanted to buy the team?

He said he wanted to create a super club. United+Sixers.

So what's happend?

Reply #79062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was mis quoted, he doesn't want the 36ers.

Reply #79066 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

he offered to help a couple of months ago!

DAMN IT!

Back to my crying again...

Reply #79068 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Here is one from left field. Crows & Power buy in joint venture? Only a whisper I heard today.

Reply #79074 | Report this post

bebe  
Years ago

come on!!!!!!!! Leytton? buy the whole kit and caboodle and become the favorite son of the S.A. basketball fraternity!

Reply #79075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Am I the only one who read Phil Smyth's article in The Advertiser today thinking "Higgins, Higgins, Higgins"?

I wonder if we'll see (more) public lobbying in the media to further the cause of specific buyers. e.g., I understand that Higgins and Smyth may support each other's cause.

Reply #79081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have said before that i hope the power dont buy them, i dont think i could support them, they would alienate of a lot of supporters with that.

I'll put $50 on the crows buying them

wasnt higgins on the board that got sacked by the government, why hasnt he been supporting them before?

Reply #79111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Higgins wasn't on the board sacked by the government.

People with no idea who had responsibility at that club running their mouth off about his bid. Makes me think they are working for someone else.

Reply #79115 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

every one has there own hidden agendas anon 79115, itd gonna be interesting to see these come out in the coming weeks

Reply #79117 | Report this post

Higgins was on the board get your facts right! as for his bid who knows, but he definately was on the board.

Reply #79120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was he on the "sixers committee" or the "basa board"?

Reply #79124 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i'm a crows fan and would like to see them get it as they have a good connection with the sixers already, that said i would support the powers bid. With one of these clubs getting it you would know that the future is safe and i'm sure they would keep it as the 36ers like it is now just use it as a another source of $$$ and way to promote the power.

Reply #79127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Higgins was on the sacked board and is part of the reason for the sixers being where they are now.

Reply #79133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would give Higgins better odds (frontrunner) and there would be buyers not on that list too (more than you're hearing about publically).

Reply #79166 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

for sure its not common business policy of gov or priv to publically notify ppl of who is making a bid or enquiring about it, its just not done unless the party interested makes it known, similar to buying a house the salesman doesnt tell whos made a bid and how much its not allowed

Reply #79209 | Report this post

Paul K  
Years ago

Have the terms of reference for the sale been published anywhere?

It would be interesting to see how they frame the tender?

Are we not surprised that the sale of the 36ers does not link them playing at the Dome as a first preference - surely this makes the sale of the Domne a little more attractive and does not significantly diminish the value of the 36ers?

If they go to the Entertainment Centre does that or will that mean a whole lot of Wednesday night games - generally the poorest attended?

An interstate sale must be a big chance, at least having owners invest from interstate?

Lots of questions and not too many definitive answers, although I guess the enxt 4 weeks will sort that out

Reply #79222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nothing on the SA Tenders & Contracts site yet that I can find.

Reply #79226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that most big acts play in the Eastern States on the weekends. Then they come to us on Sun/Mon nights.

This should mean that the Ent Cent is free most Sat nights. One would think if they were hiring it to one party 16 times a year that they would try give them what they would prefer (which would be Sat night games).

Reply #79264 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

sunday events set up for these especially concerts start 6am sat morning and do not finish until sunday morning believe me,

and we get heaps of events on a sat night, next time your past ec pick an a advance program and you will see that mon tue and some thursdays would be the time slots avail for games, and i cant see the ec cancelling the next 5 years worth of bookings for BB,

Reply #79290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomo,

I don't know about the 5 years in advance. Most tours announce like 6-9 months before. So I think they would organise it maybe a year before?

Reply #79297 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

ok some are less then that but last time i looked there are is a substantial amount of the schedule booked up to 5 years away, a lot of the gigs that are scheduled less then 12 months are in our winter when the ec is not used to it potential and interior is not that pleasent to be in but summer/spring and mid autum ec is booked years in advance, hence why some prominent bands and acts had to use hindmarsh instead

Reply #79299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754