Vadersmate
Years ago

Entertainment Ctr Vs The Dome

I would like others thoughts on how the Ent Ctr, when set up for Basketball, might compare with the Dome.

1) How many spectators do you think it could hold?

2) What would be the best/ worst seats at the Ent Ctr.

3) How would current season ticket holders feel about the swap of venues?

4)Can the Ent Ctr generate the same atmosphere that the Dome currently can?

5) If the Dome is sold, say before August for purposes other than Basketball, how soon could we be sitting at the Ent Ctr?

6)Do they currently serve West End, Coopers or Eastern states brews at the CTR?

Topic #7059 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone mentioned that the NBL preliminary draw was done with the Sixers playing out of the Entertainment Centre.

I don't know how it would go as a basketball venue, but someone (probably the same someone, I can't remember!) did raise the fact that it would have better lighting and audio than the Dome. Considering that the audio has long been a point of criticism from fans, that could have some significance.

Reply #79170 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Entertainment Centre would have disadvantages as well. It cannot remain constantly set up as a basketball court for 6 months of the year so the team can train and play from the same venue. This now raises the question as to where they would train.

Reply #79175 | Report this post

the oracle  
Years ago

close to PUBS! yeah!

close to the Christmas decorations ? WTF

close to brewery!

it would seat around 10,000 i understand

quality of viewing - N.F.I.

we won't know until we try it

but it may be like carting a ute load of rubbish in a station wagon !

Reply #79176 | Report this post

the oracle  
Years ago

woodville to underdale?

if they are still demoloishing that - that is a huge loss - the courts are good, lighting ok, general facilities excellent - has a stand also

only thing sus is that straw ceiling - not sure if the firies allow them nowdays???
although it would not be there if so.

sixers training to wayville 4 sure

Reply #79177 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

I think that the way that a lot of the atmosphere at the Dome is created is by the fans on game night - which should also happen at the Ent Centre - if not more with it being closer to the city - and with private owners needing to really promote the Sixers games in order to make $$$.

Reply #79178 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

All sounds reasonable.

I still have not heard a single good reason for leaving the BEST purpose built basketball stadium in the land, by a long way.

The Dome has fantastic facilities on game night. Bars, canteens, toilets are all right next to you.

I recon the sound can be fixed real easy (was fine for the 1st season then went pear shaped). The lighting is fine. The court lighting is bright, the spectators lighting is dim, perfect.

Parking is also plentyfull.

A move to the Ent Ctr would be a backwards step in my opinion. As a 4 season ticket holder from day 1 I would not bother renewing if the move was made. With an increased capacity at the CTR I would keep my cash and rock up on the night to selected games.

The new owners are going to have to convince me that a move to the CTR is going to add value to the bucket load of cash Im currently happily spending at the dome each season.

I currently spend $50-$60 each game night at the Dome bars. Put in West End or any eastern states crap and I will gladly spend my money at one of the nearby pubs before and after the game.That money will not go to basketball, it will go on some publicans new BMW.

Reply #79184 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

I still don't understand why the Government cant relinquish the debt see Etsa Stadium, Hindmarsh Stadium, Aami Stadium why does Basketball be the exception would it be there just are not enough voices in the places of power!

Reply #79190 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

i kind of agree with you magpie

Reply #79192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From memory, quotes to fix the sound system at the Dome were $400k+, but I might be wrong and there might be other ways to address it.

Reply #79202 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

at the EC you cant sit all around the court as the seating doesnt allow this there is no seating close to the court position there are a multitude of solid LARGE colums that would block vieiwing of the game from multiple angles (8 of these such colums i think) there would need to be a improvement of lighting over the court area lighting in stands is better, pa system in there is good but again is designed to be used with NO CROWD noise in the background so i think it would be similar to dome sound,

and why move from the only purpose built basketball stadium in OZ which has better atmosphere, better viewing easier parking (Cheaper by $2.50) and has total viewing from the court not just 3 sides like EC would have, also closer seating etc. etc.not only that sixers schedule would have to work around pre booked concerts (these are booked 5 years in advance) of which most of these occur on fri sat sun and wed of which take 24 hours to set up and take down, meaning games would then have to be held mon and thur nights ? and no weekends,

im sorry but dome if a far better option the the EC would or Could ever be

Reply #79207 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

anthony SANFL and feeder clubs (AFC and PFC) paid back the debt for Footy Park Hence why the gov allowed another partial loan for the new stand because the previous debt was paid of in the negotiated time line, now if the crows hadnt won in 97 / 98 this may have been diferent but end of the day SANFL paid there payments on time, Hindmarsh was a white elephant but gov wanted the olympic experience here so there fore they upgraded and took over the maj of the debt and dont forget that was build for the rams, west adelaide and adelaide city , all 3 where meant to pay the debt but with rams and Super league collapsing and westadelaide folding it left it on 1 club,

but to and extent if basketball had paid some regular payments even dropped 25% off the debt i think the gov views on the game would have been different,
but saying that whats dones done and it needed to happen from a personel angle within the structure

Reply #79208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sound system in the ent cent - dont think there is one actually, the gear is usually hired in, or the shows bring in there own. ok the dome system is CRAPDIDLY CRAP CRAP but it works (sort of)

400k seems a bit extreme

Reply #79214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the state government accept an offer from any potential buyer allow them the opportunity to buy all 3 product up for sale as a package and grant them a 10-year time period to pay the outstanding debt back? Wayne Jackson or someone last week said that they are looking to sell the Sixer Lightning and Dome to an organization that is willing to keep the club in South Australia; this deal would show that they are very interested in the longevity of the club as well as basketball at the Dome.

The new owners could offer the South Australian government a $12, 500,000 million dollar package for the Dome, Sixer and Lightning as an all in one package.

If they offered to pay $4,000,000 million as a lump sum before the sale goes though and budget into the home game financial accounts a certain amount for a loan repayment (say $50,000*) that would be manageable.

*$50,000 x 15 home games ($750,000) x 10 year = $7, 500,000 (with interest)

$1,000,000 million in state government assisted sponsorship (South Australia Special Events committee advertising over a 10 year period = $1,000,000

In total $12, 500, 000 ($500,000 would be offered as interest over the 10 year loan)

Question - Could the new owners re name the Dome to from the DHD to MVP management centre (for example) and claim a sponsorship rebate on there company taxation?

Reply #79215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after the sale there is no debt, well that is my understanding, who is going to by a stadium for x dollars and incur a 11million dollar debt as well?

Reply #79217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA government are going to try and re-coup as much money as possible.

Who ever buy the Sixer, Lightning and Dome (assuming they buy all 3) should try and negotiates a payment plan.

Reply #79218 | Report this post

Tynan  
Years ago

What do you mean.....no debt.

Unless the successful bidder/s offers $14 or $15 mill, then of course there is still a debt.

Basketball in SA owes the government about $14 mill.

AND the point I think many are missing is that its BASA (read basketballs debt)not the governments.

The Govt has merely appointed someone to try and come up with best possible outcome for all stakeholders, because we couldn't manage ourselves.

So if the best offer they get is say $6 mill combined for all 3, then it is up the government to accept or reject.

If they accept, there is still a debt of approx $8 mill, that by design is owed by BASA, and that means all our clubs.

The question then is will the govt write it off?

The other question that will make for some lively debate is if the Govt do write off BASA debts do any of the Clubs who have continued to meet their obligations and have little or no debt, have any recourse against those that have not been repaying their debts, but suddenly get the benefit of a govt windfall?

Reply #79219 | Report this post

Barry R  
Years ago

Why would the Government write off the debt?

Why should basketball get a "get out of jail free" card for years of mucking things up?

Why should the clubs who can't carry their own weight financially get a free kick?

I guess some of the clubs might think that the Government should give all of them a bit more cash to help out?

#79215 is on the money, the Government should seek to get the sale to be on terms that recover all of the debt and let the new owners recover the money from the delinquent clubs!

Reply #79224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tynan

I think you are very confused the situation regarding the 'debt'.

Just relax and let the people who know what they're doing deal with it, they'll do a better job of it without you posting stories and mis information like the above post.

Reply #79227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the SA government can some how get anywhere between $10m and $12m (as a package deal for the Dome, Sixers and Lightning) they should be ecstatic with that. I can see them being happy with that and would expect them to wipe the debt with the BAS clean. (That would be giving them something like 80 cents in every dollar owned)

Realistically the government will lose money on this deal and the final amount would be more like $7,000,000 ($5,000,000 paid over 10 years) for the 3 and the government losses about half (so approximately getting 50 cents in the dollar)

If I were in negotiation with the SA government (which I am not) for the sale of the Dome, Sixers and Lightning I would have a start up figure of $7,000,000 for the lot and not go any feather than $8,500,000 and only if they allow a period of time to make re payments per year (as I said in post (#79215)

What management company would be brave enough to buy the Dome with out acquiring the Sixers and Lightning? With the Dome, AEC and ACC with 20 mins of each other, there would be fierce competition for music concerts, corporate conventions and other products or service industries they deal in. It would be very hard for the Dome management company to break into that market they have slowly built up in Adelaide. It's also not like the Telstra Dome where you have 4 or 5 AFL clubs that can utilize the faculties to help make a profit and the land CANNOT be used as a housing development for at least 25 years.

Reply #79228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barry R, 24/04/06

Barry Richardson is that you?

Reply #79232 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

OK people, let's get this debt thing straight:

Wayne jackson said in his radio interview on Friday, that the sale of the three assets is an attempt to recuperate the $12 mil + that is owed to the government.

If after the sale/s there is still money owning, Jackson basically said that that remaining debt would have to be written off. There is no other way to get that money back and the government want to wash there hands of basketball for good (financially).

Hence why Carter and Jackson are endeavoring to structure BSA in way that they won't have financial problems in the future and be viable long term.

Hope that clears it up.

Reply #79235 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

The stadium cost 16 mill to build in 1991, normally the value of a building/land goes up.
This must seem like a bargin then if the teams and stadium could be brought combined for 10 million?
It all depends the new owners can run at a huge profit.

Reply #79241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The value of the building goes down and the land goes up. The land doesn't sound particularly inviting (landfill, lead issues, etc) so I think you can see why they won't be recovering their costs in a hurry.

Reply #79243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a management company cannot foresee it being profitable outside of being a basketball stadium then demand and competition will certainly keep the sale price lower than what could be expected

Reply #79267 | Report this post

Tynan  
Years ago

What I have I got wrong?

1) BASA (thats all our clubs)have a debt of over $12 mill to the Govt.
2) This will not be met by the sale of the 3 items (IMO).
3) So the Govt, then have 3 choices:-

i) accept the best offer and write off the balance outstanding or
ii) accept the best offer and not write off the balance or
iii) Not accept best the offer at all.

Not sure of where or what you do for a job, but this is just basic accounting. They have to account for the tax payers money!!!!!!

I'm only guesing, but I'd loose money if you are not speaking from a vested interest point of view 79227, is my last paragraph really your concern, got some outstanding money have we?

I think the post following mine (Barry R) is even more blunt and to the point, but again like mine it is ONLY factual.

Reply #79275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dome is being sold by the government to dissolve the debt they have.

The nbl & wnbl licenses are being sold because the government (via the controller) believe this will give basa the best oppurtunity to remain afloat.

Reply #79287 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The new owners purchasing the Dome can expect a return on their investment. The Dome needs to remain as a basketball stadium as it is not only useful as such, but a busy venue with the Sixers playing and training from there and the amount of junior basketball that is played and trained there. he women's team can also make it their home court. What the potential purchasers need to do is negotiate a deal with BSA that will see BSA utilising the stadium to its current level for the next 5 years or so. This would ensure an income for the purchasers and they would also be free to use it for other events. The Dome also has a useful restaurant that can be hired out for Weddings, Corporate functions and other private functions. There is plenty of money to be made out of ownership of the Dome because of its multi purpose nature and a shortage of useful sporting venues like this in Adelaide.

Reply #79288 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sorry, above should read "The women's team can also make it their home court."

Reply #79289 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

Thomo i agree with you.Dome would be a MUCH better place for the Sixers to play. Thanks for the info too. I never knew that. NOW i WANT the Sixeers to play at the Dome and not the EC

Reply #79291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With it potentially costing millions, I don't know that the occasional wedding of a crazed fan and junior games would make it a lucrative acquisition. There's potential to bring in better money with Ent Cent-type events, but are there enough events of that scale coming through Adelaide?

Reply #79293 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

There are always quite a few acts coming through Adelaide - and if the new owners of the Dome offered the use of the facility at an attractive price to the promoters of big events, I'm sure it would increase the usage of the facility - and after the initial honeymoon period of offering extremely reduced rates for hire in order to get increased usage, and recognition of the Dome as a useful place to hold certain types of events, the prices could rise slightly to more lucrative amounts and still retain the patronage of promoters. It's all about the marketing, and if the new owners were to take full advantage of the facilities that they had at their disposal including Corporate Boxes, reception/meals area and a variety of seating and court space arrangements, it could turn into a very lucrative money spinner... so long as the "no big events" policy that has been in place in the past at the Govt's request to protect the EC was not a hinderance to such happenings.

Reply #79294 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The value of the Dome as an investment is not only the money coming in from letting it out but also the money you don't have to spend playing out of the Entertainment Centre plus anywhere else the team would have to train. A certain amount for the use of the stadium has to be apportioned to the cost of an admission ticket to the game. The profit would increase each year as the amount left to pay it off reduces. In future years the new owners will either own it debt free if they keep it long enough, or at the very least sell it for the then current value which would be more than what they owe on it.

Reply #79300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you might want to look at some figures before going on like that..

Reply #79315 | Report this post

Sir Lance a lot  
Years ago

well...from my memory there are not to many nights that the Dome is not being used, so others wanting to hire it will be kicking basketball out for the period...of course then the new owners need to recoup some of there costs, maybe we might see more basketball there with saturday night, sunday and sunday night juniors, which of course would be a detriment to other clubs and there stadiums with there home games at the dome...sweetheart deals might cost other clubs.

Reply #79319 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'd be happy to drop $200 into the kitty for the next 10 years to keep the Powerhouse for the Sixers. Can WE (the fans) help make it happen, or is this too radical?

Reply #79320 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

The only thing I can see going against my previous post, is anybody asking for a taxation concession from such contribution. Such is the short-sightedness of the system.

Reply #79321 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

what about the clubs that own money to basa exp{tigers} do they pay it back or not.

Reply #79323 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I wouldn't think so. Why would they?

Reply #79326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the club debts are completely seperate from the BASA debt to the government.

Yes all clubs need to pay back their debts and will be forced to do so now more then ever before.

If your club is in debt expected raised fees, further fundraising, penalties or worse.

Reply #79329 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

DDFAan, a fundraising idea is great. You just have to be in contact with the owners. Maybe someone on this forum can help get you talk the new owners.

Reply #79331 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'd like that Sixer33. Count me in, any time or place is cool with me.
Anyone else want to put their money where their mouth is? For some reason, I'd rather give something outright, than be squeezed for fees & be suckered for the rest of my 6er lov'n life.
Wouldn't it be nice to think that we could at least try to help?

Reply #79344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Timeshare! Just kidding.

I think any scheme like this would want at least $1000-5000 per buy-in for it to be at least remotely feasible.

And then what do you do when the venue's due for extensive repairs?

Reply #79368 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I wouldn't want a return, it'd be goodwill only.
Repairs? I'm a retired handyman. :)

Reply #79373 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

if something seriously got of the ground and would MAKE a difference

i would glady put my money where my mouth is

Reply #79376 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've done stupider things with money before, so why not! Can't see a couple of thousand people coming forward though.

Reply #79377 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I, for one, am hoping for a shift to the Ent Cent. Quite simply it's a better venue in a better location.

A move like that could, in part, help re-invigorate the 36ers.

I doubt it will happen, but I'm hoping.

Reply #79378 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm think'n if we can get a decent following, we might be able to impress the buyers, & show that they're onto a good thing. In my small world, sponsors, owners & associates, need the comfort of longtern enthusiastic customers. Give, & give some more. Strange theory I know, but that's what I was brought up on, & I've reaped the benefits.
To me, some of the problems thrust onto the Powerhouse were on the shoulders of the government's stance that it would not compete with the Ent Centre. If the Powerhouse was sold, would that "Phallus E" still stand? I don't think so. FFS, the government wants easy money, & now that the Ent Centre can stand on it's own, the rules have changed. That's not something that we should accept. Don't fret about my voting history, I'm surrendering & guilty as charged, but these wanks need to know what people want & NEED.
Special thanks Zac for his support, & I hope that others will follow.
I can freely understand people wanting to support the Entertainment Centre, because we've ALL contributed to it's survival, whether we wanted to or not. But hey, this is a basketball forum, & we want the BEST for OUR team.
So for cry'n out loud, stop whing'n about management, they've been caught out & dealt with. Our coaching staff are the best, our team's (well OUR TEAM) arguably the best. So stop biting the hand that feeds you, we've been spoilt over the years. Now's the time to give something back.

Reply #79414 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

DDfan that last post is one of the best i have read on here for a while,

DD you got my vote

Reply #79425 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

What about that dumb little can't that wasted 2 minutes of his life reading 1 of my posts last season? Can I spell it out any simpler for yah? Even you could be useful. C'mon, do something constructive, make a difference.

Reply #79455 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

? was that directed to me

Reply #79458 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

No way Thomo, you're a ledge. :) I'm targetting chumps on here that've got the smartarsed mouths. They need to step up & do something positive. Otherwise we're ALL going to lose out.

Reply #79475 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

all good ddfan,

your right though we need to collectively kick our own arse into gear and get behind whom ever chooses to purchase OUR beloved 36ers,

Reply #79487 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754