SkyHigh
Years ago

36ers roster update?

Does anybody know what is happening with the 36ers, are they still in talks with the import, and are they in talks players that have just finished their college careers.

Topic #7069 | Report this topic

John Lawrence  
Years ago

the only things that are known about the player the sixers are supposedly talking to, is that he has won an NCAA title and he is supposedly a power forward / centre.

Reply #79307 | Report this post

SkyHigh  
Years ago

Do you know what position this player plays, and any other players they are in talks with. And does any one know wether Brad Gerlach is going to college this year

Reply #79308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know if Brad is injured but if not, he stunk on Saturday night and if he keeps that up he wont even be playing for the 36ers this coming season.

Reply #79309 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

i believe brad has allready said hes wants to go to college

Reply #79311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gerlach's first preference is a spot in the ten with the Sixers. If that doesn't come through, he is not eligible for a Div 1 college experience but you'd assume he'd look at divisions below that.

Two names I heard for the import spot might both be NCAA champions - the PF/C is not the better of the two IMO.

Reply #79312 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Hmm, PF/C that has won NCAA championship. I've also heard rumour they have played NBL before.

Only name I can think of that fits both clues is Nick Horvath.

He won a NCAA championship with Duke, is a PF/C and is coming off of a serious knee injury which fits in perfectly with the rest of our roster injury wise.

Horvath averaged 20ppg and 11rpg in his injury free year for the Pigs and is a quality player but raises the same issues as with Wheeler after being out all of last year.

Reply #79316 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"...is coming off of a serious knee injury which fits in perfectly with the rest of our roster injury wise". Do I sense a little cynicism here Stephon?

Reply #79324 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

if it is Horvath, provided he stays injury free, could be a major pick-up for the Sixers... but if he gets injured again, could be titanic disaster. Talented or not, I possibly wouldn't take the risk on Horvath. any other possibilities???

Reply #79328 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

From what Ive heard Im with Isaac in saying that of the players they are looking at the C/PF is the lesser of the 2.......I just hope thye hurry up and sign him!

Reply #79333 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Instead of squeal'n like spoilt brats, why not just sit back & wait for an announcement? Discuss it sure, but there's no way in Hell that any info's going out on any site until he's signed.

Reply #79343 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

An update from Smyth on Talking Hoops re roster situation is that they are looking/talking to a couple of imports.

They were evidently close to signing a player last week but as happens the potential target/s want to keep their options open with European offers and NBA Summer League positions up for grabs over the next few months.

Smyth stated the obvious that they have to find the right player and if it means going over to NBA Summer Leagues to find an import like they did with Farley then that is what they will do.

Smyth discussed how they are talking to Majstrovic and how he thinks he has similar potential to Cattalini but just needs to have some luck with injury, court time and improved confidence.

Smyth also stated there are plenty of candidates for the final 3 or 4 positions on the roster with 8 players on his list at the moment with the potential for that list to be increased to 12.

All players in consideration will be invited on the Port Lincoln camp for a try-out. No names were mentioned.

Reply #79351 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

i don't believe Horvath had an injury free season with the Pigs.
Off top of head he's only played 2 seasons - correct?
First had injury towards end and we all know about last season.

Reply #79356 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Correct, Horvath missed the final 6 games of the 2004-2005 season due to injury as well.

In the 26 games he played he proved he was quality but surely there are some exciting, athletic and high scoring PFs straight out of college who miss out on the NBA who will be safer bets and greater crowd magnets than Horvath.

I mean a guy like Chris Williams was relatively unknown coming out of college and dominated the league.

A plus if we do sign Horvath is that Wheeler, Horvath and Nash make a tall and imposing front court from a defensive perspective...when all are healthy.

Similarly, Horvath would provide insurance at centre in the event that Wheeler breaks down during the season.

Reply #79357 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

Is Kevin Freeman a possibility? He won an NCAA championship with Uconn didnt he??

Reply #79358 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Yes, Freeman won a championship with UConn but is more a PF/SF than PF/C isn't he?

Freeman is the type of player who would be perfect for the 36ers in my opinion.

The guy is a MVP calibre player and I think we only saw glimpses of his potential in Brisbane where he and Wright did not see eye to eye.

Freeman and Farley would make an exciting import pairing and would sell a lot of tickets.

Last I heard Freeman was playing in Asia (Philipines maybe?). Not sure where he played last year or whether he would be completely out of our price range though.

We need to sign a Freeman type import to contend in my opinion. Horvath when healthy is good but still a down grade on Rychart in my opinion.

Rosell Ellis from the Wildcats a couple of seasons back was a quality player also.

Reply #79359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I always thought Horvath was OK, but a little prone to picking up travel calls. Freeman is their best chance at selling tickets though.

Reply #79367 | Report this post

Defense win Games  
Years ago

Freeman is in Israel for the 2006 season.

Reply #79369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #79370 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I would like Majstrovich off the bench and would be happy with that signing. Horvath is good but with Cooper and Wheeler already at centre I would prefer more of an explosive athletic sf/pf type I think. Freeman is the type of player I think we need.

Reply #79374 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

freeman is the man

Reply #79375 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

Gerlach's first preference is a spot in the ten with the Sixers. If that doesn't come through, he is not eligible for a Div 1 college experience but you'd assume he'd look at divisions below that.

regarding your comment on gerlach.
is the reason he is not eligible for div 1 cause he was a "pro player" with sixers? why would he be able 2 play in lower divisions?
cheers

Reply #79466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry, I don't know the details re NCAA eligibility. He has stepped on court for the Sixers and that means a compulsory match payment. I'd assume that's the reason he couldn't play for a Div 1 college. I don't know, though, what other options would be open to him in that situation. Happy for someone else who knows more about this to chime in here, of course.

Reply #79467 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that playing pro ball rules a person ineligible to play in any NCAA competitions (Div 1, 2 or 3), but I think they are still eligible to play for an NAIA college, though I'm not sure that would be all that beneficial for someone in Gerlach's position.

I think top-end NAIA is generally regarded as of a similar standard to Div 2ish NCAA ball.

Reply #79472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word from BA is that even at ABA level, if your ABA team pays any player or players to play for your club, do NOT play ABA as it is likely to breach amateur criteria and thus make you ineligible for College D1 or D2. Every club has different ways their squads operate so check with your club. Each player's circumstance varies, but I do not understand how gerlach could play College from BA advices.

Reply #79489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754