Hoop Addict
Years ago

Sturt down Norwood - Twice!

In tonight's reverse-order games, Sturt men defeated Norwood 118-97 & the Sabres women cruised to a 68-50 victory.

In the guys game, Darren Ng shot the lights out, hitting 44 points on 16/28 FGs (including 6/11 3s). Hit some very tough shots with D in his face, though also had his fair share of easy looks when Norwood's defence lapsed. Smylie was also very impressive in the absence of Oscar, scoring 29 points & pulling down 12 boards (had 54.5 HSA if I calculate correctly). Seemed to find ways to score all night, whether it was bask to the basket, or facing up. Gower, P. Bauer, Dodman, Shepherd all played their roles & did a few nice things. Sturt set the tone early with 3 or 4 nice backdoor cuts to be up 30-18 at 1/4 time. From there they extended their lead at every break to run out 21 point winners. I thought Cooper was out-classed by Smylie, and it's painfully obvious he's incapable of creating his own shot, even at ABL level. Keith Krause made a living hitting open shots when Sturt's D collaped, and finished with 21 points. Andrew Webber had a good all-round game with 10 points, 6 rebounds & 10 assists, while Todd Matthews tried hard & penetrated well, though most of his 17 points came in garbage time.

The girls game was a bit of a see-saw affair in the opening quarter. Sturt jumped the Flames to lead 11-2 after scoring off silly Norwood turnovers. The Flames then evened it up before Sturt went on another run to finished the quarter leading 23-13. The 2nd quarter was relatively even before a very ugly 3rd quarter resulted in 15 (11-4 Sturt) points total between the two sides. From there Sturt cruised to an 18 point win. Jess McPhail possibly had her best game as a senior, scoring 16 points & gathering 5 boards in 20 minutes. Monique & Brigid Bowley made up for the absence of Hannah, by snaring 12 & 16 points respectively, while Monique also added 18 tough reboundson her way to 47 HSA. No one particularly stood out for Norwood, with Jess Smart, Natalie hurst & Kellie Abrams sharing the scoring honours with 10 apiece. I thought Nicole Romeo did quite well in her time, while Rachel Keller had a tough time finding the hole, shooting 2/14 from the field.

I think Sabres fans should be happy with two solid wins tonight, despite both sides missing key personnel.

Topic #7125 | Report this topic

Freddy  
Years ago

Where was Oscar tonight???

Reply #79903 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Apparently he's on a holiday. Should be back next week?

Reply #79904 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On holiday in the Gold Coast. I tipped Norwood in the mens game knowing Oscar was away and thought there was a chance of Smylie being out West and Dodman still being abroad. Crap!

Reply #79906 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Did anyone tip Woodville over Forestville?

Reply #79909 | Report this post

Based on last nights match it is hard to see why the 36ers would sign Cooper at all.

Darren Ng was great and should be given one of the last spots on the 36ers team.

Smylie was excellent. Lots of passion and hard work . Hope he gets an invite for the final trials.

Reply #79911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you don't sign them now, are they guaranteed to be available in August when the Sixers run their trials?

Smylie has had that interest from Perth (and the Kings have had a look at him in the past and really liked what they saw, is my info).

Reply #79917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not rush anything, time is as usual on our side. We have a huge signing in the wings and when the supporters find out they will be very happy, trust us.

Reply #79925 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac #79917, I may be misreading what you say, but what do you mean if you don't sign them now,they are guaranteed to be available in August? If who doesn't sign them now? Smylie might by signed by one of the other NBL teams before August. I don't know what Ng's situation is this year with his studies, but with Oscar gone, he could be quite useful on limited court time just to get those few extra 3 pointers to boost your score. He shot the lights out last night. He has to be one of the best 3 point shooters around.

Reply #79928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was asking a question that I suspect agrees with your view - if the Sixers don't sign them now, are they still going to be available in August when the Sixers run their Pt Lincoln camp? These two aren't 18 years old and a bit hopeful of a spot. One's studying medicine and the other has studied dentistry so they have options but would want to know their position. Both are good enough to have the interest of other NBL clubs.

Now, I'm not saying that they haven't contacted Darren, but the whole line of waiting to see with Smylie is a bit of a gamble - from all reports the guy made Coops look pretty average last night. Is he a better prospect than Majstrovich or even close? Then get out to every single one of his games. Are they trying to get a veteran like Timmons on the cheap (import or not? I can't remember his status), if so, maybe that's a different situation?

Reply #79931 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Dazza must love playing Norwood, he has previously bagged 57 and 50 against them.

Reply #79957 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

G'day Northerner. Haven't heard much from you lately but with the Nets tying the series 2-2, I'm sure you'll be posting more again.

Pacers in 7.

Go Bulls.

Reply #79968 | Report this post

anon - lets have some clues - you have dropped the carrot

huge signing ......

Reply #79969 | Report this post

please ....

lets hope it is (drum roll)

gregor fucka from europe !

Reply #79970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard a rumor today that Smylie may not be around for finals. He apparently is returning to the US before starting in the NBL. I wonder if this is true. If it is I think they have used him well but have also left Dodman will little minutes heading into the finals.

Reply #79990 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Your golf game is a little average northerner!!! Hopefully you get in a lot more practice in the next few months!!!

Reply #79995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754