Anonymous
Years ago

Fremantle v St Kilda-what will AFL do?

Did anyone see what happened at the end of the game, just heard that the umpires didn't hear final siren-Freo up by a point at the time, another 30 secs of play went on, St Kilda score a point. Final result-draw. Anyone had a similar thing happen in basketball where extra time has unfairly occured(such as shot/game clock not turned on)? I wonder what the AFL will do with this one?

Topic #7129 | Report this topic

playa  
Years ago

The result will surely have to stay the same as it is now, a draw. And im not a St.Kilda fan but i think it is a bit unfair if freo win because of this. the result should stand.

Reply #79941 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

absolutely ridiculous...it will stay as a draw but i feel sorry for freo..they should win and that result may determine if they make finals or not, you never know! its crazy and umpires should not let that happen

Reply #79942 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Not the umpires fault. According to the AFL rules, the game is over at the point an umpire hears the finals siren, raises both hands into the air and blows his whistle. If the umpire does not hear the siren, the timekeeper will continue to blow the siren until it is heard. ANY umpire can hear the siren, but the field umpires must end the game. Not one of the 7 umpires heard the siren. Why did the timekeeper not continue to sound the siren?
Result would not be changed.

Reply #79944 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The AFL has become ridiculous. Collingwood stare them down over the alternate jumper issue and laugh at the AFLPA rules by fining the Chad $20000 (limit is $5000). Port Adelaide can wear black and white in heritage round but not in stripes. Freo get robbed (if I was in charge, there'd be a press conference held now where they would be given the win, and all those umpires stood down for next week). Then there's the father-son rule, which borders on unjust for interstate clubs. Then we have clubs selling home games for money. We have Essendon v Collingwood every Anzac Day where they both make more money on the one day than the Kangaroos make in a year. It's not an even playing field, not even close.

Sorry - was a big AFL fan but don't like what is happening. And these b*stards rejected Brian Cunningham for another insular idiot (Adrian Anderson). Demi, dem, demit ..... the block with the big choco name ..... has to go. He's ruining a great game.

Reply #79946 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I disagree, I think the result will be reversed. Freo have placed a protest in and i guess we will see what happens.

Reply #79947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure if there are any processes in place in the AFL to complain, I would feel hard done by if I was Freo though.......I suppose a similar thing is where a ball is marked after the siren but then the argument is that there is a couple of seconds delay between the sounding of the siren and the umpires hearing it, (not by 30 seconds though!!!) How does this happen in the modern day game worth millions????

Reply #79948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry In the Know, your post came up after my previous one. So they have put in a protest then? i reckon they will dismiss it and support the umpires by saying their decision is final, not that I am necessarily saying that is right. I agree with 'rite', why didn't the timekeeper keep blowing the siren?

Reply #79949 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I think we will see a review of the ending of a game to prevent this from happening. The selling of home games is to encourage teams to promote the game in none-afl states. I do not think the Power should wear Black & White as they entered the afl with three colours, not two.

Reply #79950 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

similar incident happended 4 years ago, a protest was made afl upheld the decision of the umpire even though the stated it may not have been the correct call the fully support the decision of there umpires,

so i see this haveing a similar outcome

Reply #79951 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I think Steven Baker should of been called for a travel....hang on, this is not Basketball....

Reply #79952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fremantle should of win the game but the AFL wont reverse their desicion its the same in any sport : The umpires desicion is final.
as for my opinion the AFL should review it and give Fremantle the win...... is it going to happen............no

Reply #79955 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

From AFL.com ..... the AFL have locked themselves away, launched a probe, and won't comment until tomorrow at the earliest.

"Under AFL rules a game or a quarter is not declared over until the umpire has heard the siren and signalled the end of the game or quarter.

In the past this had led to countless debates about whether certain goals should have been awarded from marks taken right on the siren at quarter, half and three-quarter-time, given that often those marks have been taken after the siren has sounded but before the umpire could signal the end the quarter.

However it is rare for play to continue after the final siren has sounded and for the outcome of a match to be changed as a result as the siren is supposed to continue sounding until the umpires hear it.

The last time this occurred was in the 1980 night grand final when Kerry Good kicked the winning goal for North Melbourne against Collingwood to give the Roos' a three-point win when the umpires failed to hear the final siren when Malcolm Blight had the ball in the middle of Waverley Park - just before he kicked it to the leading Good with Collingwood in front by three points.

The result of that game stood but there is a precedent for the result of a league game to be overturned on appeal but it happened more than a century ago and ironically also involved St Kilda.

It was in the opening round of 1900 and St Kilda was awarded a victory over Melbourne on protest - their first ever win in the competition having lost every match in their first three seasons - after the game had initially been declared a draw.

The league awarded the game to the Saints some six days later after ruling that the field umpire had wrongly allowed a mark to be paid to Melbourne's captain after the final siren, from which a behind was scored making the game a draw - with the league instead ruling the behind should be cancelled with the Saints awarded a one-point win."

Reply #79961 | Report this post

mr plow  
Years ago

i was at alberton oval approx 35 years ago for port v sturt classic - 17,000 yelling fans and sturt had 3 - 4 kicks after the siren and goaled before 1/2 time - the score counted - because it is the refs call to blow the whistle and raise the hand - however timekeepers kept on blowing the hooter - but it was too quiet - there clearly needs to be a volume control on hooters

and i'm a big hooter fan

however it was not that contraversial as port won by 6-7 goals

Reply #79974 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

Moses Guthrie, you are right on the spot. Tha AFL is ridiculous. Freo deserved to win. Grant Thomas knew that his team should have lost. You could see it on his face.

Reply #79977 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The decision could end up out of the AFL's hands if Freo decide to take the matter to Court.

Any administrative decision can be overturned in a civil Court if all avenues of review/appeal have been exhausted.

Common sense should prevail here, Freo should get the win.

Reply #80003 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Common sense is that the umpires decision has to be supported 100%. Game is a draw. If the umpires decision is not supported, then we might find that game will be decided out of court. When it does goto court then it could affect all sports and not just football.

Reply #80007 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Its not about the umpires being supported, it is about the decision being corrected. Even Grant Thomas basically said Freo deserved the win. Just because the umpire didn't hear the siren doesn't make them a bad umpire.

Reply #80009 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Right. It is a correctable mistake.

I'm waiting for Freo to miss out on finals by half a game.

This isn't an umpire's decision in the normal sense of the word. It's a siren that isn't loud enough. Why should that ruin a great game of footy.

Why can't the AFL just do the right thing? Surely we will see a rule change after this.

Reply #80059 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

thedoc, you are right when in saying a rule change is ahead. I agree with you when saying that the siren was not loud enough. It is just the umpires have cops a far bit over this when it was clearly the fault of the timekeepers. Maybe footy could introduce something like basketball have done with the 24 sec shot clock.

Reply #80061 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Sportsmanship should say that when Grant Thomas was interviewed he should have said the truth and said they he knew the siren had gone. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

The controlling umpire before rebouncing the ball should have listened to the players, blown time off and checked their claims. If the Freo players were found to be deliberately lying, there are systems in place to deal with such. If there was time to play, restart play.

Who needs just a siren. Every game is televised, they all have the lights to indicate to restart play after a goal when tv is ready - use them to indicate full time as well as the siren.

Monumental stuff up all round.

At least it wasn't the other way around, with time left to play. Who knows - you may have to ring the hotel where the team was staying, ask the players to get out of the pool, and come back and play a few more seconds!

Reply #80062 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I don't blame the umps, although a sensible thing would have been to blow time on. Probably would have avoided the whole saga.

I still think it is a correctable mistake.

The TAB did the honourable thing and paid out on the draw at 50-1. Ha!

Reply #80066 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

They should have sat around for half an hour deciding on what to do, then while the players are sitting in the spa back at the hotel asked them to put their shorts back on, get back on the team bus and head back to the ground to replay the last 5 seconds.

Reply #80080 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Doctor E, that only happens in Basketball.

Reply #80101 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

This is crazy! Give Freo the points.
What would have happened if the game continued for another half an hour without the umpires hearing the sirn and St. Kilda won? Would that be fair? Or in Port were playing Geelong, geelong are up by three, siren sounds, scarlett jumps for joy and pulls a hammie, then fall to the ground in pain, umps didnt hear siren and keep going , ball goes down the the square where Tredrea is by himself and kicks a goal, fair?

Reply #80111 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

now that we know what the peoples opinion is lets just see what the AFL does. I'll put in a prediction on what will happen.

Easy, it will be a draw. Anything that could favour the victorians the AFL will do.

AFL grandfinal- MELBOURNE cricket ground

ANZAC Day match- lots of cash to make- Essendon V Collingwood victorian teams who make lots of cash when Port or other poorer interstate teams could play.

What about the MCG finals deal? Almost made an interstate team have to play against a victoian team at melbourne when the interstate team had the home game and deserved it because they finished HIGHER

Father son rule- enough said.

Frasier Gerigh not even getting fined or offered anything. Apparently he only 'pushed' not punched the opponent. Burton got offered 2 matches when he should of got nothing (should of got 1 match only because he had points from previous season) because he was only pushing yet he bairly touched the freo player who faked most of it.

Victorians all think it should be called thr VFL, well to all victorians i say, STOP TRYING TO CHEAT BECAUSE INTERSTATE TEAMS WILL DOMINATE THE AFL AND WIN ALL THE GRANDFINALS FOR THE NEXT DECADE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU CHEAT

that's enough for today...

Reply #80124 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hey Sixers33,

I agree with you when you said

"thats about enough for today..."

but I think you could perhaps go further...

How about you make it for the rest of the week?

Reply #80139 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hey Sixers33,
Its great having the AFL grand final at the MCG, particularly when there are no Victorian teams in the GF. It makes them look embarrassed.

Reply #80169 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Firstly, since when are Port Adelaide one of the poorer clubs?

I think the Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Carlton and Melbourne have a lot less cash to throw about the the Power.

ANZAC Day - You really think Port would get more than 35,000 out to footy park if they had a game on that day???

Father Son rule - "Enough said"
What the hell does that mean??? Is it you dont know the facts but have heard lots about that lately so you thought you would throw it in.

MCG Finals contract - all of which is tied in with Redevelpoments of the ground and money contributed towards it, which If you have been to the MCG latley you would apprecite. (Makes footy parks facilites look like Port Elliot Footy Club)

The G Train was giving no less than he was recieving. Maybe deserved a fine but definetly no games.

finally, isnt this a Basketball Forum, go to bigfooty.com if you wanna talk AFL.

...I thought school was back.

Reply #80187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While it appears unfair the result should not be changed. The rules clearly say that the game finishes when the umpires hear the siren. They didn't - the game goes on. What was the mistake was the timekeepers not continuing to sound the siren. Mistakes happen all the time on the football field - you take the good with the bad.

If the game is awarded to Freo then I believe pandora's box is opened with various other challenges eg goals awarded when the goal post has been hit etc etc. When should be coming out of the upcoming hearing is a change to the rules to ensure this does not happen again.

Reply #80190 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

the doc, no umpire will listen to a player on the field. I sure do not when I am umpiring. The timekeeper will continue to sound the siren until it is heard by ANY field umpire. Each quarter shall come to end when a field umpire blows his/her whistle and puts both hands in the air to signal the end of the game. The timekeeper should keep sounding the siren until the field umpire signals the end of a quarter. This is the law as per rule 10.4 of the AFL rule book.

Skip, well said.

Basketball in Australia needs to look at how they operate and maybe the AFL could give them some assistance. You just can not compare basketball admin to AFL admin at the highest level.

Reply #80192 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

The biggest noise on this topic probably wont be heard until Collingwood miss out on a double chance/finals spot to St Kilda, on account of the two points they should/shouldnt have got from this game........

Reply #80194 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

well i thought basically everyone knew about this rule and that there was a thread about this and the media and newspapers are all over it. So that's why i said- "Enough Said"

And WHY do you think i'm a child?

Reply #80198 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Damm - I thought you had decided to take me up on my challenge!

Reply #80199 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

sixers33

You write like a child and you stated a few weeks ago that you would have time work work on your new basketball forum over the next few weeks as it was school holidays.

Reply #80201 | Report this post

right  
Years ago

rite,
that is garbage if you dont listen to the players. the game is about the players. i bet you are one of those git umpires that have no communication skills and take yourself way too seriously. take a chill pill relax, have some friendly banter and talk some smack with the players and you may find you get more respect from everyone.

Reply #80202 | Report this post

right  
Years ago

rite,
that is crazy if you dont listen to the players. the game is about the players. i bet you are one of those annoying umpires that have no communication skills and take yourself way too seriously. chill out, relax, have some friendly banter and talk some trash with the players and you may find you get more respect from everyone.

Reply #80203 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Rite,

Had the umpire had enough common sense to blow time on, this would not have happened. He had half the Freo players screaming at him.

Had it not been true that the siren had sounded, then no biggie - time on has been blown, and the game will continue when the ump bounces the ball.

The AFL do have the right to change the rule at their discretion, and can do so in this case. I would like to see it go to a Civil court for my interest's sake more than anything. Both teams have grounds to argue.

It seems to me ridiculous that a rule be enforced when it makes a mockery of the entire game. Again, a common sense approach sees Freo win, a strict interpretation of the rule without considering the spirit in which it was made will see the Saints victorious.

I just wish, more than anything, that it was Collingwood that got shafted, just to see Eddie's double chin going bunta after he realised they didn't win the game.

Reply #80213 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I think it would be very interesting to see Eddie's double chin.

right, you have never seen me umpire so it is hard to comment and I bet your one of those spectators that have little knowledge of the rules. Every player wants the call in there favour. I had a player coat hanger his opponent only 15m from me in clear sight and once I called the free, he un-loaded saying that I was blind and that it was a legal tackle while his opposition lays out cold on the ground.

I love any sport and enjoying even more being apart of the game when I walking out on the ground. I will talk to players but will not going into an agrument will a player nor have banter with a group of players trying to tell me how to do my job.

The laws state the game should be a draw but in the spirit of the game it should go to Freo. Our arguement will come to an end tomorrow.

Reply #80227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip...if you wanna talk AFL go to the website you suggest.I think it is understood that it is a basketball fan forum, what is interesting is that you have written (more than once at that) in this post at great length-and on top of that it has more replies than a lot of topics recently. If you have a look back at the original post you will see that it was asked if anyone had experienced anything similar in basketball. Finally....does it really matter-people obviously want to discuss it on their favourite forum????

Reply #80263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't mind people discussing AFL or other matters (e.g., current affairs, Big Brother, etc) at all, as long as basketball remains the primary focus and new threads about other topics don't swamp the hoops stuff.

Reply #80265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I appreciate that we can discuss topical events Isaac, I agree that it must remain Hoops focussed but it hard to bypass events such as this topic, the trapped miners, what happened in Adelaide today etc etc. I would rather do it here where I look frequently.

Reply #80268 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon 80263

Wow, yes I did post more than once. Did you read the 2nd post? Did that have anything at all to do with AFL?

and yes, my first post did have quite a few letters in it. I tho wanted to respond to what I saw as quite blatant biased post from someone who doesnt seem to know the facts.

I also dont mind occasional off topic posts, but this was being taken in a whole new direction to where it originally started.

BUT

What does ANZAC Day, Father Son Rules or Port Adelaide have to do with similar experiences of extra time stuff ups in Basketball??

Reply #80287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its almost like the missing 0.7 seconds all over again....

Reply #80317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip...you have been attracted to the AFL topic again. My point was that if it draws people into interaction on a topic (even though it isn't in the direction you think it should go), does it matter????

Reply #80403 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754