Indiana
Years ago

Skins

In the Advertiser today Bogut is wearing skins or stockings, as is the player behind.
What are they and why are they wearing them?

Topic #7145 | Report this topic

Sixers33  
Years ago

they said on ESPN that lots of players in the NBA are wearing them now.

Reply #80081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are 'skins' they are used to help blood flow to reduce blood clotting in muscles to decrease soreness in muscles. Meaning that your body is to continue moving at it's highest possible level when working for a long period of time.

They have been used by elite football players at training sessions for quite some time and are slowly moving into basketball players here in training sessions.

I don't believe they'll be allowed to be worn in games here due to you'd think they'd come under the same ruling as shirts underneath uniforms. Not sure though.

Reply #80085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for people that don't know what they are:

Reply #80090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm that didnt work the way i wanted... try again.

Reply #80091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldn't they be really hot?

Reply #80092 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

I believe Joe Smith sustained some leg injury that meant he had to wear them. So Michael Redd and Bogut did so also for support.

Soft tissue injuries are down because of the skins, and the NBA are banning them. Go figure.

Reply #80095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... all he needs to do is pull it over his head and arms and we have Manute Bol #2 .

Reply #80098 | Report this post

So are we allowed to wear them during games here on not?

Reply #80100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes! but not like those ones, they can not be visible so you have to wear the shorts and muscle top (which think might also be banned because it can be seen at the collar)

Reply #80104 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Some Sydney Kings players wore the shorts and sleveless tops last year during games. Not to discriminate but cant Bogut get white ones so they dont look so bad? BTW if I had a lazy $80 to put towards the shorts I'd probably get them. Anyone who has them able to comment on if they are worth it or not?

Reply #80118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I read somewhere or someone told me that the NBA was looking at banning or restricting their use.

Reply #80119 | Report this post

Nike clothing  
Years ago

Yep as of next season they will be banned

Reply #80123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh as a runner they are really effective at keeping the muscles at a temp where the blood flow is at a maximum. The seams in the tights are positioned so that maxm flow occurs in the key leg areas (hamstring/quad/calf)

Reply #80155 | Report this post

nothin  
Years ago

skins are made to reduce lactate increase recovery time and keep the muscles at optimum temp so they can be worn in winter and summer. they are stitched to the contures of your muscle shape to support the muscles and reduce muscle strain. many other athletes from other sports have been wearing them during training sessions for years now its about time basketballers caught up however just like in other sports whilst competing (game time) i dont think they should be worn. what do you reckon?????

Reply #80458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They look Dickie!
Not in games.
Remind me of bodysuits...Yuk!!

Reply #80459 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I've got a pair and a few other guys on the Panther team wear them too. They are definitely worth getting for a couple of reasons. It gets bloody cold in the gyms here in winter and they do help to keep you warm and that entail helps your body to remain at an optimum temperature which should then reduce injury.
I think it would be a good idea to allow players to wear them. Whether or not they should be the same colour like undershirts would be up to the league but it should be a choice which is available to the individual. Compare them to a knee brace, the knee brace keeps sore knee's warm to reduce injury, what is the difference with the skins? If studies show that they work, then why not allow them???

Reply #80460 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Panther, do u and your teammates wear the shorts or the full length ones? Surely it would be fine wearing the shorts during games....?

Reply #80539 | Report this post

Years ago

The only problems I have with the skins is that I don't like all the writing all over them. Stupid I know, but I'm picky. I guess they are pretty expensive too. I just wear the plain black adidas bike shorts instead, which cost me around $25. Are Skins actually better, or would the do a similar job?

Reply #80541 | Report this post

jj redick 4  
Years ago

they r defintely worth it i wear that long ones to training and tha short ones in games and they really help

Reply #80554 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

He just wants to be black.

Reply #80654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754