Michael
Years ago

Reply to 'refs are not gods'

Hi all,

I'm the referee in question who refused to shake hands with a player on Tuesday night and am writing a reply in order to clarify the issue at hand.

There is a saying that goes "&someone who is nice to you but rude to the waiter isn't a very nice person".

In order to understand why I didn't shake hands with the player in question, one should view the incident from outside of a basketball environment. This had nothing to do with an interaction between player and referee but had everything to do with an interaction between two people. If someone acts in a condescending or disrespectful way towards you, then, this is a type of behaviour that one shouldn't stand by and put up with. After the actions of the player in question, I no longer held any respect for him as a person and that is why I refused to shake his hand. The interaction of shaking hands between two people is a sign of mutual respect and due to his actions, I lost respect for him. Look at it this way, if a person was openly making disparaging / condescending remarks about you to another person right in front of you, would you then be all chummy with that person? Would you hold respect for that person? Would you want to shake hands with that person just because other people expect you to or would you refuse to be two faced? Just because this kind of behaviour occurs within a basketball environment doesn't excuse or make this kind of behaviour acceptable. It's a matter of principle.

Whilst I've got no issues with players or coaches questioning my calls or being unhappy with my performance, I do have issues with regards to how they express their dissatisfaction. It's about expressing one's dissatisfaction in a way that is respectful to the 'other'. I don't ref for an ego trip nor do I get any personal gratification from refereeing. Anyone who knows me would testify to this. Basically, the reason that I ref is so as to be able to buy food and pay my rent whilst I am studying at Uni; refereeing is a job to me. Personally, I'm not exactly thrilled to be refereeing a one sided game of basketball at 11 pm on a Tuesday night. I, like players, do put in poor performances at times and do have off games. However, unlike many players I am not a semi professional athlete but rather, I am an amateur referee.

I hold no illusions that it was a great performance by me on Tuesday night. Like anyone else who works, there are days where we produce high quality performances and then there are other days where we simply go through the motions. However, regardless of my performance as a referee, I will not tolerate being treated in a disrespectful manner by any person, regardless of their role or status within a particular environment.

Topic #7188 | Report this topic

Randy Watson  
Years ago

With respect...

I believe shaking hands after a game is about showing strength of character. What happens on court, should stay on court and never be taken personally. To often I have played in games where you question one call and the ref takes offence to it. For any person, ref or player to not shake an offered hand of another person after a game is a blight on their own character... it shows lack of respect and weakness.

Reply #80669 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Ok I will reply. Way to go Michael, I don't believe umpires should post on here to defend themselves because they shouldnt have to defend themselves however I can see your fustrations with such behavior.

I actualy think you are a solid umpire too so don't sell yourself short when you say you are amature.

John L, take some advise from this fella!!! and Bruce N stop blowing your own trumpett getting on here telling everyone you shook hands with the players but your partner chose not to!!!

Its bad form to talk about your partner on a public forum.....

thats my opinion anyways

Reply #80670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than at ABA, NBL or WNBL, the only people at the stadium being paid are the refs. Players and spectators are paying to participate. Coaches and other support staff are volunteers, as are most stadium workers.

So, - refs should expect to be criticised if they aren't performing, in the same way anybody being paid to do any job should expect to be criticised.

Reply #80671 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Anon, in your workplace who should you expect to receive critisism from???? every other staff member or your boss??? in other words refs get critisised by there coaches, and should not be be littled by players and coaches, that's why there are rules in the rule book to say so......

please correct me if i am wrong!!!

Reply #80672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats the biggest load of crap i have every heard.

Well since these ABL players get paid more than me the next time they miss a lay up ill criticise them. Even tell them at the end of the game once they shake my hand that cause they miss that lay up it cost them the game

Reply #80673 | Report this post

me too  
Years ago

Michael, it's worth asking - do you feel the players behavior was not personal and so could have been left on court??? why loose respect for someone due to complaining about the ref? which happens all the time.. but perhaps shouldnt happen.

just a question because i was not there to know the situation.

Reply #80675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wild child - criticism would come from the boss, perhaps from work colleagues, but definitely from customers - - players and spectators are "customers" paying the refs to do a job. - so, do it properly!!!!!

Reply #80677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disrespectful behaviour on court needs to be punished on court (as should bad language). SA refs could hand out more tech fouls for this sort of behaviour.

Reply #80682 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

anon thats where you are wrong!!! players do not pay the refs, the association pays them. The players pay to play.....
and again i refer to the rules.
Rules are in place so the coach can question calls and the captain can also.

Players randomly abusing umpires or even questioning there calls is not permitted, so think again champ....

Reply #80683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but had everything to do with an interaction between two people. If someone acts in a condescending or disrespectful way towards you, this is a type of behaviour that one shouldn't stand by and put up with."

If this is the Micheal I think it is, this is laughable, if for no other reason than this was the exact way YOU treated people when you were UIC at Wayville.

Reply #80684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Micheal these guys you umpired are amatures let's get that right first of all. I was watching the game and it was not an issue that there were bad calls or a lack of calls, but the whole reason for the post was to show how childish and imature your attitude was. As a player first starting up I received help and encouragement from most reffs. As a middle age player I learned to deal with calls that I didn't think were right. As a senior player I learned that an outbust did no good to me at all. The common factor throughout this time was that most reffs don't act like Gods. I have respect for most of the reffs I have had and am pleased to say even though I have had words over the years I never have had a handshake refused. Grow up. I repeat Reffs are not Gods.

Reply #80689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael just a quick question!!
why arent u UIC anymore at Wayville????

is it cause u only do it for money and dont worry about the development of jnr officials???

Reply #80697 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Back on topic I wasn't there but see no issue with Michael's explanation.

In short respect is earned .......and should not just be given.

Shaking hands is absolutely a form of acknowledgement and of respect.

And so I agree if he was that agrieved, and has (or had) no respect for the player, it would have been two faced to shake hands.

Point said, not sure any justification is required by referees for their actions on this forum.

Reply #80701 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

im a firm believer in what happens on the court stays on the court. when competetive spirits flare, often things are done or said on the court which is not appropriate, but after the game is over so is any issues. shake hands and thats it. there has been times when even myself have had a go at a ref or ive had an altercation with another player. what it comes down to is its just ball. so thats my opinion.

Reply #80705 | Report this post

surely undersized pf you have never said anything derogatory to the umpire? i am also a believer of the white line fever but would never say anything personal to the players or the umpires, sure you let your player know about the dunk he just missed or their shot you just waxed but you leave it at that. i was present at said game and was not aware of any ill-being by the player in question but the way the game was headed (a blowout by 40 odd points) I dont really see a need to argue with refs. But i didnt have a problem with the refs that night or heard any personal comments being made, so i am not in the position to comment.

Reply #80708 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

If you're going to be angry, be angry about the call, not the call-maker.

Reply #80739 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

"If someone acts in a condescending or disrespectful way towards you, then, this is a type of behaviour that one shouldn't stand by and put up with."
As I wrote in the previous thread, if it gets personal, dish out the tech. By not calling the tech you put yourself in the situation where the player thought it was acceptable to continue his behaviour.
The action of shaking hands may be a sign of mutual respect in some cultures but (IMHO) in the culture of competitive sport it represents "no hard feelings mate" and MUST be done after every game, shortly before beers at the pub.
I know you are a good referee Michael but please swallow your pride and shake hands after every game, regardless of what has been said.

Reply #80740 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

In order to understand why I didn't shake hands with the player in question, one should view the incident from outside of a basketball environment. This had nothing to do with an interaction between player and referee but had everything to do with an interaction between two people

Your whole defence is based on the above opening remark.

You were in a basketball environment, and the interaction was between a player and a referee. While everything else you said about respect etc was spot on, if a player offers his hand at the end of a game, after some verbal abuse, instead of viewing the handshake in the traditional anthropological manner, consider it an apology for their earlier rude-ness.

Perhaps if you didn't spend money on a tatoo, you'd be able to pay rent and buy food, and wouldn't have to umpire as much! Remember, when your hungry ,you can't eat a tatoo!

Reply #80741 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

You can if its an edible tattoo

Reply #80846 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Reply #81346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754