Isaac
Years ago

Majstrovich to sign with Sixers?

Thomo and DDFan have posted in older threads on this forum tonight suggesting that Adrian Majstrovich might be signed by the Sixers tomorrow. Hopefully we'll hear more then. Anyone else heard more?

Topic #7224 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This morning's Advertiser Isaac

Reply #81084 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Here is the link -
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19083642%255E12428,00.html

It also says they are close to signing a new import as well.

Reply #81085 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yep was announced on 9 last night,

good positive signing

Reply #81088 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Great result from the talent that is available.

An athletic big with range potential.

Have said before compare his stats with that of Cats before he came here.

Also good to have a 3/4 that does not need to get 10 o boards off his own misses.

Reply #81090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent Brockman, thought they had Oscar Forman to fill that role?

Reply #81091 | Report this post

1 to 10  
Years ago

The only difference when Cat came here was that he was constantly drilled as a basketball player by Dunlap. Wont see that with Phil. Is definately a good pick up for the sixers though.

Reply #81093 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon

what are you on about? Oscar plays for NZ now.

Reply #81094 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Cattalini showed little to no improvement under Dunlap. I'm a Dunlap fan but he did no justice to Catt. Even the biggest Smyth critics have to conceed the influence Smyth had on Cattalini's game.

I don't expect Majsrtovich to be another Cattalini but he is a solid bench signing. I'm optimistic that he'll be better for us than Nash.

Reply #81095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this is a decent signing. They have made an offer to another player for the tenth spot, and then it's just the import to wrap things up.

Reply #81096 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Could that 10th player be someone like Jordan Dodman or is he fighting for a development spot at best?

Reply #81097 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

To save Boti's sub-editors some time and hassle, here's some potential headline puns for them to use throughout the next season:

"bad case of Majstro"
"Majstro-boy"
"Majstro-chistic"
"Majstro-naut"

and, as a bonus extra, one full headline, free:

"Maestro Majstro finds his mojo"

Reply #81099 | Report this post

Defense win Games  
Years ago

The 10th player will be a guard.

Reply #81100 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Or after Boti reads this thread:

"Sixer fans Mastro-debate over latest signing."

Reply #81101 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Tee hee hee! Forget the Navy Seals: why can't we start the Majstro fan club known as the "Majstrobaters"?

Reply #81105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doctor E, Dodman would be looking at a development spot at best. He did OK on Sunday - 11 points and 6 boards in 17 minutes.

I think they'd wait until Pt Lincoln to pick their 11 and 12, but I would go with Sutton and Dodman. Bit harsh on Gerlach, but Sutton is playing top minutes in an undefeated side. I think they might have approval to run 13, so you could squeeze Gerlach in then, or stick with Gower just because he brings something different to the team.

Reply #81109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gerlach has serious knee problems at the moment, won't see him suiting up for quite a while...

Reply #81111 | Report this post

Whos ears  
Years ago

who will be the guard then??

sixers team:

maher 1
farley 2
nash 3
copeland
wheeler 5
import 4
majstrovich
brad hill
nick hambour
????????

Reply #81115 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

The last spot should be Austin Smylie's, dont need another guard.

Reply #81119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gotta disagree journo, hill and farley should be playing the 2 spot, copeland in the 2-3, nash in the 3-4.

We've gotta start a succession plan for Mahersy, give him a spell (and hopefully in doing so, pro-long his career).

Reply #81120 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Depending on the quality of this Import, I think this could be quite a successful team this year. I still have my doubts on Copeland but Im very hopeful to be proven wrong.

Reply #81121 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

OK, if you do for a guard then it has to be a proven and genuine point guard, like Brendan Mann, Braith Cox.

Reply #81129 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

Reply #81134 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

i think that this is great news if we can get him tho. if we got him and a really good import i would be looking at our season optimisticly. also if we could get a 10th player that acually might have a role in the team instead of siting on the bench every game i think adelaide would make the finals easier than every1 is sayin.

C: Wheeler
PH: mvp calibra import
SF: AM
SG: Farley
PG: Maher
6: Nash- SF
7: Copeland- SG
8: Cooper- C
9: Hill- PG
10: Austin Smylie's- PF

11:Sutton- Gaurd
12:Dodman- Forward

you could swap AM for Nash around a bit and the fact that Hill is ninth on my list wouldnt mean he wouldnt get much time. i can see all subs playing simalar minutes

anyway i would be looking at a roster like this for next season

Reply #81136 | Report this post

Gig  
Years ago

Who would you all prefer in the 10 spot, Hambour or Smylie???

let's look at there stats this season:

Hambour
PPG 16.7
RPG 10.6
APG 4.9
HSA 35.9

Smylie
PPG 20.2
RPG 8.5
APG 1.7
HSA 33.3

I think they would take a guard over both of these two if he was a "quality guard" because they already have other bigs.

Otherwise take one of these two and give hill more minutes he will be huge....

Reply #81140 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

Dodman will be off to the AFL next year, regrets not going this year

Reply #81155 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Smylie would be a good pick up for the 10th spot. He has shown great form in the last 3-4 weeks with Sturt. I am impressed far more with his game than Dodman's. When Smyth made an appearance at last Sunday's Sturt game, I couldn't help feeling that he would have to consider giving him a call and not just an invite to Port Lincoln.

Reply #81157 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

Dodman WILL NOT be off to the AFL.
He said he wouldn't in the Messenger today.

Reply #81182 | Report this post

JD ya'll...  
Years ago

Ok there's one major difference between Dodman and Smylie- Jordan is 17/18 years old and I'm not sure how old Smylie is, but I have noticed some grey hair starting to show.

Dodman would definitely benefit from the experience at such a young age. Rather than adding to the Adelaide 36+ ers

Reply #81190 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Smylie is only 26yrs old and has a full fours years of college under his belt being the top scorer and rebounder with very impressive stats.

He would be more than servicable and has the body, smarts anbd experience to be able to contribute immediately before the Sixers enter a rebuilding phase in the next couple of years.

My pick would be Smylie by a long shot.

Reply #81192 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

When did Smylie finish college? I assumed it was last year, or perhaps the year before.

Reply #81193 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

yeah it was only a couple of months ago, hence why he is looking for a pro job.

Reply #81198 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

See the new article re Majstrovich - he said that Smyth is a lot of the reason for coming to Adelaide...

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=3346

Reply #81204 | Report this post

Patrick Johnston  
Years ago

Kev, I read that too.

Now that would be a first.

Reply #81207 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

So he was a 25 year old playing college? the 20 and 10 numbers are not so impressive when you take that into consideration. He would have been 5 years older and bigger than the kids he was playing against.

I still think he is worth a look though.

Reply #81208 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

in his defense though doctor, he started at 21 instead of 19 as he was a missionary for his church in france for two years, and he playe dthe whole 4 years, meaning that he only had two years on those of his same year during those 4 years, not a huge difference if you ask me, especially since he didn't play while he was in france, so he would be two years behind in that regard.

Reply #81212 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sign him up! The Sixers need help from the Guy upstairs if we are going to make some noise this year.

Reply #81215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let everyone go head to head at Pt Lincoln and see what happens. If you put Gerlach on the Eagles team and Sutton on the Tigers you would find the opposite Sutton wouldnt do as well and gerlach's stats would improve. No one player makes a whole team it has to be a good core that works well together. Sutton has skill but I think people are trying to put him on to high of a standard at this stage. A player has a few good games and everyone gets on their nuts, same thing goes with Smylie he has some talent and thats great but lets check the whole situation out first, put Smylie on another team, and it might not work out the same way.

Reply #81217 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I'm going to keep pushing Smylie's case (if there is the consensus that it is a forward who is needed for this spot in discussion).

Anon, Smylie tore it up for four years straight at college level and within two weeks of coming to a new style of league and teammates, has averages of roughly 20/10.

Let's face it, the guy can play and has impressed all those who have seen him, it's a matter of whether they want a 3/4 to round out one of the last spots.

Reply #81228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how tall is austin

Reply #81263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt say that he hasnt got talent or that he didnt put up great numbers in college, I am saying that sometimes people jump on the back's of others that have early success in a quality team. lets face it, take NG, Forman and Gower out of the team and replace them with average players I feel his stats would be lower. How many guys in this league have played good college careers and also had good ABA stats? research that. And I was mainly talking about Sutton, what has he really done in his career to warrant such high praise? and I am not saying he is a bad player just that it is only local that he has done well.

Reply #81265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

re Sutton, my comments in the past have been from watching him play for Forestville against Sturt. I'm not comparing him with NBL players, but more with those competing for a spot he could attain - Gerlach, other Academy guys, even those with Sixers experience like Brad Hill, Darren Ng, Brad Davis, etc.

Smylie's improving in the ABA each game and doing pretty well, but I think Majstrovich is a better signing in this instance. More of a known quantity for one thing, and also, though I don't rate "Dr Phil" for his development of players, what he will do is give Majstro minutes and let him develop himself. I think he should do pretty well.

Reply #81311 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac,
I didn't think we were choosing between Majstrovich & Smylie. I am assuming Majstrovich is already signed and the 10th position is still up for grabs. This is where Smylie comes into it.

Anon #81263, Smylie is 200cm.

Reply #81333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Their offer for the tenth spot isn't to Smylie at this stage.

Reply #81336 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

do you know the person offered?

will you tell US?

Reply #81345 | Report this post

Gig  
Years ago

Daren Ng

Reply #81406 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This just in Majstrovich's new female fan club form and call themselves the Majstrobitches.

Thank you i will be here all night, try the veal.

Reply #81413 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Definitely have to look at introducing an anti-basketball icon Isaac...

Reply #81419 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Call it "The John Lawrence".

Reply #81421 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

You know, if Mastro-boy can write a blog like this tennis pro, then there's simply no questions about him at all - get him on a plane and in a Sixers singlet straight away.

(Sorry about bad segue - I have been thinking about how to link to this guy's blog and this is the best I could do. I've never heard of this guy as a tennis player, but his blog is the best and funniest I've read for ages. It's not bad for a guy writing in his second language.)

Reply #81422 | Report this post

Gig  
Years ago

PPG 27.3
RPG 6.0
APG 3.6
HSA 39.2

Leading the league in points, averageing 6 rebounds per game for a guard and 3.6 assits.

Who better to have off the bench to back up Maher and Hill.

Maher 1
Farley 2
Nash 3
Import 4
Wheeler 5

Maistro 6
Hill 7
Cooper 8
Copeland 9
Ng 10

Who said there was doom and gloom when foreman and holmes left? time for Maistro, Hill, Cooper and Ng to step up plus Ng off the bench they then have a play off team imo

Reply #81432 | Report this post

Gig  
Years ago

I meant plus copes off the bench

Reply #81434 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Without complicating things, I'm betting that we'll be cheering for "The Maestro". Ignoring the fact that the Breakers are subsidising him, he knows he's had a bad run of luck, & to think that someone's willing to give him a chance is an opportunity that he'll relish honouring. Great signing.
Cheers, THE MAESTRO.

Reply #81724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754