Phizzer
Years ago

Most Successful in SA Juniors?

All you stats and history fans out there, who would be the SA junior with the most winter premierships? Most state champ wins?

Coach with most grand final victories?

Maybe there's not an answer, but I'm sure many candidates. I'd love to hear them.

Also, who would be the best junior player never to win a junior grand final?

Look forward to some answers from you experts.

Topic #7229 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

erik burdon and the whole north team of his age

Reply #81147 | Report this post

stewie griffen  
Years ago

i reckon it might be the bowley / summerton vintage group in the girls at sturt

or the darren ng vintage at peckerland

Reply #81152 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Ng and his group weren't really successful until Under 16s, so it wouldnt be that group. On the boys side there have been some very powerful North groups over the last 10 years, as 81147 mentioned above.

Reply #81154 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

Depends what you mean by success ? Nationals, state champs, winter flags, classics. I know a kid that lost 1 game in all his junior career in SA. Kids today are soft.

Reply #81156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are all spring chickens, it would have to be the Sykes, Spratt, Lane, Shearwood, Simmons, Kneebone Sturt U14 team of 72.
14 Nationals winners, flogged everyone

Reply #81158 | Report this post

stewie griffen  
Years ago

thank you - inga friendenfields

now that will test the old school name droppers

Reply #81159 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Well, Winter Champs, State Champs, Nationals, everything. Not just one successful year, I mean a whole juniors career, U/10's to U/20/21's.

I did think or Eric and co, also thought of Marc Wallis' group from 14's and up.

I'm sure plenty of Sturt juniors experienced a lot of success.

I want names people!

Reply #81160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Niel Gliddon and Ian Laurie would have to go close to the coaches with the most Grand Final wins

Reply #81161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best player to never win a junior final could be Brad Hill.....his junior team struggled all the way through from 10's to 18's

Reply #81163 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Oscar's group won every State Championship (I think!) from bottom age Under 10's to bottom age Under 20's from memory. They also came 2nd at 14 Nationals and won at least one National Junior Classic.

Reply #81164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Southern Group ... Ingles Pierce Wood they won everything when at full strength

Reply #81168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When they remembered to put their nomination form in.

Reply #81172 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

LMAO!

But Seriously Folks...

How does Tim Hisgrove (Sturt) stack up? His days with Barmentloo, etc would've been pretty good. I know he coached my brother to back to back Nationals. (late 80's, early 90's???)

Reply #81173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe Brad Newley won a junior title and I also believe he's better than Brad Hill. No offence intended, I don't think there'd be too many objections!

Reply #81174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt team with bavistock,wilson,neylon,carlson,pergacz,gallasch
etc must be up there won most things including a classic.

Reply #81179 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Noarlunga group with Trebilcock, T Hodges, Cornish, Meakin, M Barrett, M Clarke, Lockyer won a lot, and went undefeated through about 30 games in 20s

Reply #81184 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

#81168,

The Pearce/Wood/Ingles group hardly won anything, actually! I believe they won in U18's in Winter season, and that was about it. As for Classics, they never achieved top 4.

A very talented group (also included Boal, Villa, Smith, Lalic) who just couldn't get over the line against North (L. Burdon, Kersten, Zorich, J. Kies, Rowe etc.)

In fact, that North group would go much closer to getting recognition in this debate, after they came 2nd at Nationals in U14s, and the top age kids were part of the 85/86 group who finished 2nd at Classics in U18s. Along they way, they cleaned up very close to every title in SA.

Reply #81186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Burdon (of Eric variety) age group of North boys I think won every state champs.

As for the coaches, Scott Butler has to be close. 10 State Champs I think and a bunch of reserve ones too.

(Great topic Phiz!)

Reply #81187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lockstock, that Noarlunga group you mentioned only won as u20 winter, and early u10's(when Matt Barret was 3 feet taller than everyone else). Norwood and Sturt dominated the rest of the time in that age group. norwood...Gower, thompson, Mathews, and others ..Sturt: Dorman, Bretige, Finklemyer, Marston(chad), Hakendorf,Stacey etc

Reply #81191 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Norwood also had Toby Schaeftner and Skyhook! That was a decent team.

The Tigers from the year before (79/80 age group) had Jarred Wilson and one Luke Schensher - before he was good.

The West team with Granger, Brewer, Cioffi, Philp, Evans, Younie, Jenkinson, Janutis, Wilson won a fair bit from 16's thru 20's. Had some big battles with South who had Hicks, Scanlon, Schueller, Smith, Tim ?? and a few others.

Reply #81196 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Yeah the West team was solid. Also I think you'll find Schenscher is born in 81 (on the 31st December!!).
And by the way the Noarlunga group I'm talking about is the 80/81 group, not 79/80. That group won everything in U20s, including runner up in the U20 nationals to Nunawading

Reply #81199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jared wilson was a sturt junior born in 79

Reply #81209 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

U 18 Boys Div 3 !! everyone keeps posting about them . Thread that wont die !! Champions obviously.

Norwood / Sturt rivalry 79/80/81 age group was pretty fierce. Noarlunga were good too.

Reply #81211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skyhook, wasn't it the 1980 year that that sturt/norwood rivalry was big. and yeah, it wasn't until u20,s when noarlunga took over the mantle with trebilcock, t hodges and co, having some epic clashes with Dougies eagles!

Reply #81214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South girls (Hurley, Sourlatzis, Warnes, McArthur, Wells, Hakof, Thompson, Clarke etc) won about everything for all of their U18 & 20's for about 4 years..... Not the best, but up there.

Reply #81218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood group of Vasijevic, Scholes, Mitchell, Martin, Fenton, Lomman, Januske, Mellow in 1996 was strong taking out the Great Australian Shootout as well as every other tournament that year and the previous year. They were pretty successful through u/18 as well. Worthy of a mention.

The other Norwood team mentioned also included Scott and Matt Arnold....

Reply #81222 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

I feel I can comment on this with some experience. Having played in a team that was pretty successful throughout juniors (EG Lomman, Pero, Martin, Fenton, Mellow, Januszki, Mitchell, Scholes, Eley, Simmons, Oven, Thistelton (but he changed teams) etc. etc.) and also having coached at that level a number of times since, the group of E.Burdon, Bronson, Zorich etc. were clearly the most successful and exciting. Whether that is because the rest of the competition they played against was weak is up for debate.

In the girls it would be Janutis, Meg Clarke, Fenton, Obrien, Franklin etc.

Reply #81223 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

seem someone stole my comment LOL

Reply #81224 | Report this post

1 to 10  
Years ago

North had Ryan Kersten, Erik and Leif Burdon, Bronson and Jordy Kies, Tyson and Ziggy Zorich,Luke Mapunda, Gary Birmingham, Tom Rowe Cris Clausen, Dan Wilson and Steve Hastings during a very successful period.7 of those guys now playing North ABA with Kersten at New Mexico. Mapunda and Birmingham at Warriors.Wilson at Mt Gambier and Clausen at Lions.
Noarlunga were solid with Ingles, Gerlach,Braithwaite,Lalic,Dubnicke, Florence, the Browns and Boal. 5 of whom still playing ABA or above.

Reply #81232 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

The Noarlunga Team rocked in U20's and we never had battles with the eagles, ask douggie we beat them by at least 15 each time to stay undefeated!!! Sturt and Norwood were tough as s**t in the younger days we had our work cut out each time we played them.....

Reply #81261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With regards to the girls...what ever happened to Fenton???

Reply #81291 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

I played in a team a year behind the smyth boyz, dean kinsman, Brian Moyle, steve spurling, greg lane, craig ware and co. Think Neil Gliddon or Ian Lawrie coached. No one came close. They were hard - none of this so called fancy crap you see today. D was played as it was meant to be. Bring it on back !!!

Reply #81294 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

What about the Chapman, Yates, Walkley, crew from Noarlunga as juniors?

I dont know facts and figure, but i think they'd be near the mark maybe?

Reply #81299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has to be that norwood group that won the great australian shootout. dont know of any other sa team to win that comp let alone actually be invited to compete!!

Reply #81322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lockstock, agan mate, that 80/81 Noarlunga team did not win everything in 20's. They won winter and state champs, but the eagles won the summer season....a curtan raiser to the sixers from memory. ask dougie...he still talks about it. Think it was his only junior championship!
The tigers did dominate after summer season tho, beating sturt in the state champs champs, and the eagles in the winter season grand finals.

Reply #81354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickles,
That Noarlunga crew were very successful - but lost a lot of GFs to the West group (including massive unit Chris Blakemore). I think there was a Janutis (Kane? pre-South) and others in that West team too - they were awesome.

Reply #81362 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The West team in the era with Brad McKinnon won the classics. Not sure who else they had in that team. Anyone know?

Reply #81368 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

I think i can remember a guy called josh carter and another guy called joey who was a character LOL - both were guards. this west team was just tough but I didnt think they won the classics - was it 16s or 18s? some very good guards that were hard nuts.

The north team around that time was good too. Mike harris, Lachlan Keller, brendan mann, bootes, talal, bell and others.

Reply #81371 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

81291, fenton is married played again div 1/2 a couple of yrs ago.

Reply #81372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I beleive the Under 14 girls from Noarlunga were pretty ggod when Brogan played. They didn't do that well at Nationals because Brogan was not allowed to play as she had played Under 16 State in the same year. Protest came from an SA team and she was not allowed to play at the 14 Nationals. I am prety sure I am right.

Reply #81375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Carter and Joey Parisi were the other guys in the west team that Brad McKinnon was in. Fact is that whatever West team that Brad was in during juniors dominated. As one very influential man in junior coaching once put it:

"He was the only junior player I have ever coached against that I could not find a way to stop"

Shame that in the end the only person that could stop Brad was Brad himself.

BTW: The west team that won the Classics around that era was the Under 18 team the year after with Thiselton, Kluzek, Greiger, Castle and co. Might I add their centre did his knee before the carnival and they decided to take two replacements - Tyson Ward and David Bell - as you can imagine they played a pretty big part in the win.

Reply #81379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right Janx those North boys dominated for a while - didn't they win three classics in a row: 2 in u16s and 1 in u18s then the west guys won the next one (after brendan had gone to AIS?)

Reply #81381 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

81381, I cant remember.

I would not say the north boys dominated though. They had a fair bit of competition from norwood and sturt throughout 14s - 20s. Richard Orlich was at north at the time and coached 16s/18s.

During these few years SA teams (boys and girls) were more likely to be top 4 than bottom 8 (as today).

I do have this stuff somewhere, so out of interest ill have a look over the weeekend to see which SA teams won classics around this time.

I do know the west group of thistle, kluzek, castle and their ringins certainly did win that year. It was very dodgy to call in 2 of the better junior players in the country, at the time, as a replacement for an injured centre.

Reply #81384 | Report this post

JS  
Years ago

Anyone know if Brett Mahers junior teams were successful?

Reply #81387 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

Previous Classics Winners from SA:

Under 18 Men
1990 Sturt (73/74 group)
1991 West Adelaide (74/75 group)
1994 West Adelaide (77/78 group)
1995 Sturt (78/79 group)
1999 Woodville (82/83 group)

Under 18 Women
1985 West Adelaide (68/69 group)
1992 Norwood (75/76 group)

Under 16 Boys
1991 North Adelaide (76/77)
1992 North Adelaide (77/78)
1997 Sturt (82/83)

Under 16 Girls
1979 North Adelaide (64/65)
1980 West Adelaide (65/66)
1982 North Adelaide (67/68)
1991 Norwood (76/77)

Under 14 Girls
1999 Sturt (86/87)

*Doesn't include 2005

Reply #81388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about the west team of
Werner Linde
Roger King
Alan Hughes
Glenn Marsland & Co

Roger King and his fall away jump shots, and Werner from well beyond the arc before there was 3 point line and such things as 'the classics'

Or the west team
of Raymon Wood
Peter Ali
Geoff Weeks & Co

Reply #81390 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

81390, dont know where they would fit in??? But there are some big names from the past there. A business colleague of mine, Rob Hannam, played at that time and he has some great stories. You could write a book on this. Only problem is not many people would buy it ;)

81379, this not very influential coach would say the same thing about Bronson Kies.

Brad and Bronson were awesome players at the junior level. They did it all rebound, assists, score and hard defense - I dont think any other players in the past 15 yrs have had their level of all round dominance at juniors, in our local comp. I would say both had similar approaches to their basketball on the court and I mean that in a good way!

I wish some of the kids currently playing 18s could watch these guys play.

Reply #81393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sturt womens team with jacqui bavistock, hayley meter, zoe habner, etc etc. those guys knocked off everyone, and won a classics too

Reply #81412 | Report this post

JS  
Years ago

and a u14 national title

Reply #81417 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

Im pretty sure the norwood girls i mention above (about 76) won the u14 nationals, U16 classics & U18 classics. They would be the most successful group of the past few decades wouldnt they?

Reply #81426 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

#81354 sorry you're wrong, plain wrong

Reply #81429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

janx,

No SA club has won the Girls Nationals since 1993.

Reply #81435 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Care to elaborate Lockstock ?

I cant remember that year much myself. u/20 's 80/81's

Reply #81436 | Report this post

Gig  
Years ago

North Adelaide Junior team for Under 14's through to Under 18's which included players like:

Brendon Mann
Darren Martin? think thats his name he was a red head

Telah was the centre
Michael Harris

This team won everything and were coached by a ex Sixers assistant coach who then coached Nbl

He was not succesful in Nbl but a excellent junior coach with many North and State championships.

Reply #81439 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

81435, national club championships. Sorry.

Reply #81445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No lockstock...you are wrong. the 80/81 group.

The eagles beat norwood in the summer season grand final....on centre court ot the dome...before the sixers. The tigers lost to norwood in the semi finals(at marion stadium) in summer( they were unlucky tho as they had trebilcock and t hodges out due to u 20 state committments...however, norwood were without todd mathews for the semi).

todd however was back for the grand final for norwood...but unlucky for him and the flames they lost to an eagles line up desperate for a grand final win. this team included Dougie, Goodyear, Gent, Walker, Anderson. Dougie, if your out there please confirm this!

The tigers did howerver go on to win the state champs(against sturt) and winter season (against the eagles. the tigers were down by 2 at half time in this game but ran out winners by about 10-15). think they only lost 1 game in the winter season...to woodville.

Sorry lockstock...you wrong mate.

Reply #81454 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Tiger girls of Brogan, Maddern, Chapman, Mohi, etc...?

Humpty and John Cadd were the coaches during their successes.

Reply #81475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about our Girls at present, we have five out of fourteen at the AIS, good representation for SA. These girls have earnt their spots and it has nothing to do that Dean is the coach either. Lets see how many of them make the Gems

Reply #81483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todd Matthews was 2 years older than me mate, there's no way he played that year. I believe he was born in 79, so you must be thinking the year before.
That U20's year, the main threats were South Adelaide, with Pilks, PJ, scanlon, frost and co and sturt had hackendorf, finkermeyer, and some others. But Noarlunga won everything, and I dare say no team got much closer than 20 points for at least the last 30 odd games.

Reply #81531 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

last post from me

Reply #81544 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Okay, so no actual definitive answer? Great discussion though.

Being an ex-North junior myself, I had suspicions that Mann and Co and Burdon and Co would come close.

One common factor of those boys, all coached by Jean Bain at one point in their basketball careers...... She is surely missed in juniors coaching.

Reply #81950 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I'm with you Phizzer.

I'd like to add Bev Chapman from NCT next to Jean's.

Reply #81989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just read through the blog & I no it's along time after the discussion but just wanted to correct a few comments made on the 1991 west adelaide under 18 men's side who won the classics in 91, wow long time ago, Brad McKinnon never played juniors in the same team as Blakemore nor joey paresie, Chris carter was playing for woodville at that time as well, Blakemore was at the AIS & only played for west at the classics that year, Mark Davie, Jason Pilmore were the starting guards along with Kym Swanson, Adam Cunningham, Mark Maxsted, Dale Rainsford, Steven Atkinson, Jason Sheean & Chris Blakemore, sorry if I left anyone out, ex 6er David Spear was the coach, I no all this as I played in that side & was lucky enough to play with McKinnon every 2nd season, awesome teams getting around back in the day & remember some great games against sturt, north & nourlunga, even woodville with bray & Brenton, brings back great memories.

Reply #531456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Kane Jaunitis was playing for south in 1991
They also had strong team back in the day,. Cheers

Reply #531457 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:19 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754