Iron Triangle team 2007 state champs?

speaking to my contacts - can they form an iron traingle team for state champs next year (Whyalla, Pirie, Augusta) at least.

if it is ok for mt gambier / millicent / naracoorte - we should be allowed as well!

Topic #7231 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right, if it is okay for the Limestoner's it should okay for the Triangle too.

Whether it's okay at all may end up being re-looked at though.

Reply #81188 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

If that was allowed there could be many trophies going North!

Reply #81197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What age group, good for one good for all ?

Just one age, or a range of groups ?

Reply #81221 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

Whyalla have entered an Under 14 girls team this year in the Div 1 competetion. As for an iron triangle team, the idea has been discussed between the associations but that is as far as it has gone so far. Its a top notion though.

Reply #81225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not have SA Country put in both of their Albury teams as preperation for the following year. Have a North and South team. Call one the Iron triangle and the other the Limstone coast.

Reply #81226 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

that would be a great idea. The only question is, would metro allow it?????

Reply #81229 | Report this post

OGB  
Years ago

THe trophies presented to the winners say - Champion Club not Champion Association. The two groups under discussion are association teams with capture areas and player numbers greater than some of the local Club. Also the local Clubs play their regular players where the associations can pick the biggest, strongest and oldest group. Local Clubs can have kids who are just 13 depending on there birthdate playing in under 16 while the associations can have the majority kids who are 15 and 11 months playing. Not a level playing field.
Same thing happens with Classics. Dandenong is a rep team of the huge Dandenong Association. I understand that the Dandenong Association is larger than BASA. THat is the same as South Aust playing their State team at the classics. When our Club teams do well at the classics then they are really doing EXTREMLY well.

Reply #81230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

patto,
I think the anon poster was being sarcastic!
Of course metro wouldn't allow it - well actually, they already have....

Incorrect OGB,
"Local Clubs can have kids who are just 13 depending on there birthdate playing in under 16 while the associations can have the majority kids who are 15 and 11 months playing. Not a level playing field.
"
If they are 15 and 11 months, they are U18s, as they will not be Under 16 at the end of the year (criteria for state champs).

Reply #81234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OGB,

Your club has agreed with and accepted the current rule. SA country and any other associated member other than the Metro member clubs, such as SA Church are entitled to play any players they want.

Reply #81235 | Report this post

OGB  
Years ago

I have been out of touch with the junior competition for a while so my knowledge is a bit old. However several years ago (5?) country players only had to be in the age group at the time of the competition. If a kid turned 16 on the day after the competition then they could play U16. If that has changed then so be it. But it does not alter the fact that local teams play their regular players with a wide age group while rep teams can pick older, stronger players. The difference is most noticable in U16 girls. A local Club team with several 'just 13yo girls' playing against a rep team where all of the players are 'almost 16yo young women'is not a level playing field. There is large difference in the physical development of a 'just 13yo' to an 'almost 16yo'

Reply #81253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell me what is the difference between the notion of club versus association. When compared to the Dandenong comparison isn't Sturt, Forestville and Southern heading down that path with their domestic competitions

Reply #81353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All local club teams represent the best of their own competition. That is to say the Sturt State team is made up of the best of the 40 players available. Remember club's normally have more then one team in an age group.

So aren't Club teams that play in State Champs representative of all that club's players in a particular age group.

Dandenong just have so many that they have their own competition. Sturt, South, Southern, Forestville etc have as many as 6 teams in some age groups. What's the difference?

The issue regarding Limestone is that its a combined team of 3 seperate clubs/associations. Where do the trophy's go back to? Millicent, Mt. Gambier or Naracoorte?

While it was an interesting experiment and I personally have no problem with them competing and winning individual age groups I do have a huge problem with a combined team being able to win a CLUB trophy.

Reply #81356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OGB

Not true in the last 15 years

"However several years ago (5?) country players only had to be in the age group at the time of the competition. If a kid turned 16 on the day after the competition then they could play U16."

Reply #81358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never been the case that age was on the day.
I started u/12s in 1974 and it was that(31dec) way back then!!!

Reply #81363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern do not have a domestic competition anymore as our Junior Vice President did not believe in the concept.

Reply #81367 | Report this post

vineyard vince  
Years ago

i believe the riverland and barossa associations are having serious discussions about combining as well - aka limestone coast style for 2007 as well

Reply #81427 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

The country association idea is a good idea but how are you going to do it? Could you field sides in all grades? I think not!That means Boys and Girls! We have found it hard with just one boys side (16 boys) with country kids and their commitment to all sports in the winter, eg: footy, soccer, hockey etc. See my point. Just leave it to the sides that are good enough to compete. Just be proud of the country sides effort to compete in the competion. It doesnt happen every day that sides have exceptional talent and size in one side.
I think all ideas such this is good but you really need to look at the big picture. By the way, GO PIRIE PANTHERS.

Reply #81438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure looking forward to the Pirie v Norwood game!!

Reply #81441 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

yep game at the dome should be a cracker. Will either be good or bad for Norwood. For Pirie it will be all good cose we got nothing to lose. Just bragging rights.

Reply #81484 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

yep game at the dome should be a cracker. Will either be good or bad for Norwood. For Pirie it will be all good cose we got nothing to lose. Just bragging rights.

Reply #81486 | Report this post

how about grading the stoners - should they be in state next year?

if the country crews push the competition harder - why not include them?

if you look at adelaid 1.1 mill - with 10 clubs - approx 110,000 per slub ratio

mt gambier 30,000, millicent 9,000, naracoorte 8,000 - plus a scattering of another 5-10,000 in that area - still means adelaide has more ratio per club.

i am all for it

however there is a legality - that it is the "champion club" - however the country crews can register their group as a "club" (claytons' club) or the junior committee can override this and allow dispensation

an iron triangle and barossa / riverland representative teams would do well and
warrent joining state in some grades

Reply #81514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hell why dont we round it out with SA country central, Murray Bridge, Adelaide Hills, Great Southern. They would be a genuine
power. Pirie?? good at talk, but results???

Reply #81523 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

lets not get too carried away, they already have the country champs a couple motns before state champs.

Reply #81524 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

anon 81523 Good at talk, but results?
I think you have been lost in your own dream. Sure the hype was there to do well but in the end the experience and development the kids got you cant buy. The results spoke for themselves, they just needed to be tested and that they did and they will benifit from it because they havent being out of 2nd gear all year. I must congats to Arnie for being so well organised and he was a pleasure to deal with.

Reply #81559 | Report this post

PPJC  
Years ago

When it comes to Port Pirie's representation at the State Country Championships it was be absurd for a individual club to be expected to enter into a divsion on their own.

In my club for u16 Boys, we were just able to scratch together 5 legal aged players & up filling the team with 2 top age u14 boys & 1 bottom age u14 boy. We are currently sitting second with 9 wins & 3 losses.
Our entire u16 competition consists of just 6 teams, which is equal to a playing number of just 48 players then you take my 3 u14's out of it = 45 & on average each team would consist of 1 u14 development player so exclude another 5 players from the toal availability & you would have 40 players to select a team of 10 combined representatives who would then be competing against Adelaide clubs who probably turn away 40 players who would make a country representative side.

Think about the numbers guys..... It's no different to the Olympics America has how ball players nationally to select from & how many does Australia have? Yet we are competitive.....

Reply #121184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754