me
Years ago

The facts about Phil? (not personal please)

Ok. i have read before of the conflicting opinions regarding Phils coaching skills, agenda and record. One again i disclose my minimal basketball knowledge, I became a 36ers fan mid 90s and therefore have no allegiances or issues.

Today i read that Mastro has chosen to come to Adelaide because Phill is here. Im pretty sure ive read a number of interviews with current and past players that have big wraps for Phil...and yet, time after time i read of the complaints regarding Phils coaching and development etc, so whats the REAL story? (I am sure we dont need to be personal "just the facts thank you M'aam")

I guess im biased as Phil has brought me 3 championships and i do remember Mike Dunlop?? who, as a fan..gave me nothing.

So..are there better coaches out there, if so..why?

please enlighten me.

Topic #7234 | Report this topic

greener pastures  
Years ago

There are no better coaches than phil but sometimes its time for a coach to move onto another environment and for the current environment to seek a new coach with different strengths.

Phil does have weaknesses but is the best overall coach in the league.

If the 6ers dont go top 4 this year it is time for someone new to come in.

Reply #81227 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

The grass is not always greener my friend.

You said that Phil is the best overall coach in the league, yet you would replace him if we don't make the top 4???

There is no doubt that Phil has an outstanding record and should remain in the job for as long as he wants it.

Reply #81233 | Report this post

greener pastures  
Years ago

1. I am not your friend.

2. how long to you accept mediocrity bonz?

Reply #81236 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

He's not the coach.....Breheny is.

Reply #81247 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Sorry greener, didn't mean to offend you by suggesting that I was your friend...but I'm sure you're not a bad bloke.

Phil has taken the 36ers to the playoffs in every year he's been at the helm including 3 championships. I don't think that's mediocre at all.

Reply #81248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I guess im biased as Phil has brought me 3 championships and i do remember Mike Dunlop?? who, as a fan..gave me nothing."

John, is that you? I must still be waiting on my championship rings.

Reply #81251 | Report this post

grindog  
Years ago

heck if phils record is mediocrity and should be sacked for that, there would be 10 coaches getting sacked every season.

Reply #81252 | Report this post

greener pastures  
Years ago

phils overall record is great. Last few yrs have been ok to good this year is looking mediocre. You cant ignore facts.

Reply #81258 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

1st and only fact about Phil is that he's the best NBL coach in the country.

Case closed.

Reply #81259 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

oh please dont include me in the "john championship" discussions, I stipulated i am a fan only...by "brought me"...i meant as a fan. At the end of the day, thats what the club exists for, to bring its fans championships.

Reply #81268 | Report this post

tgr  
Years ago

wouldnt the best coach in the country be coaching the boomers?

Reply #81271 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

As a coach, Phil seems to be able to mould "cast-off" teams into champion teams, or at least, competitors. The main criticism against Phil has been that in the last few years, the development of young players has slipped, partly due to the departure of Scott Ninnis, and this has resulted in some of the younger players (ossie, jacob) going elsewhere to ensure better development. With mumblings of a new youth development coaching position within the new sixers coaching ranks we would HOPE that we can remove this weakness from the sixers franchise.
It also seems Phil is not averse to playing some of the younger players out of position, which can hurt their confidence, resulting in less playing time, and shortening their careers (see J.Williams, B.Hill ...).

Reply #81274 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Not at the moment tgr!

Reply #81275 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

I beleive getting top 4 is more than good. getting to the finals is good and making the top 4 is excellent imo. people shouldnt act so negitve towards this season. phil has not once missed the finals since been head coach and why should this year be any different. i think most of our success for this next season will depend on what import phil brings into the league. i remember when phil brang whily into the league. back then i think farley was 1 of if not the best import that season.

Reply #81282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"getting to the finals is good "

No it's not. When in the recent past 8 out of 11 get in, you can be mediocre at best (as we were 3 years ago).

Reply #81288 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

top 4 with the teams we have had is a great effort,

phils a great coach best 2 in the league,

who knows maybe his time is up at this club, who knows now with the restrictions of previous boards and cahs restraints he maybe able to start to look at fielding the team HE wants to coach not what the BOARD wants him to coach

to suggest we have been mediocre is fasicle,

now bombing out in 2 straight elims is disapointing but last seasons was and unlucky last 2nd shot that was probably the basketball gods evening up the score,

season before was however disapointing to bow out

Reply #81292 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

No offence here but Phil is a good coach but he is no where near the calibre of Brian Goorjian

He has as coach

- Won more games than any other - 407
- Won more Championships - 5
- Won Coach of the year - 4 times
- His teams have made the semi's
every year since 1990
- In the last 8 seasons, his team has finished 1st in 6 of em

To all of you out there who said Smyth is the best coach in the NBL, u are all fools

He doesnt even compare

Reply #81309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has also been coaching twice as long as phil too.

Reply #81320 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Yes, but Phil doesnt even come close to the things Goorjian has achieved

Reply #81329 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Phil is a great coach and i would like to see him stay with the 36ers for his whole career, i would like to compare goorj's first 8 years to phils and i think phil would be atleast equal, i also think that if we find the right owners who pump some cash into the team, allowing them to hav the 2nd assistant, kb has been mentioned and phil never wanted to lose ninnis, and allowing him to select the side he wants without to much interference from boards and hopefully providing a stable environment will ensure players such as jacob and oscar are not concerned about there futures and go else where, i dont know these 2 players but was given the impression had the 36ers been a more stable organisation fincancialy we would of had a fair chance of keeping both of them, so if these issues are erased hopefully we will b able to recruit and retain many quality players!! get behind phil and the team, and hope for a great upcoming season!!

Reply #81335 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Hey fez, when it comes to Goorj, we know that he's had a lot of success NBL wise - but a lot of us judge him as a coach based on how he's handled the role of Boomer's coach, and for anyone who watched him at the last two olympics, he would be rank as barely competent - and flatout BAD in some games. Just have a look at his recent squad selection for confirmation of reasons for our ... tarnished opinion of him.

Reply #81341 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Daniel,

If you are comparing Phil and BG only on Boomers performances then they both suck!

Reply #81349 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Goorj has also lost more grand final series than any other coach.

Reply #81360 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

MS. Phil inherited a sub-par team with about a month to prepare and was booted without a decent chance to prove himself - Goorj has had unlimited time and preparation and has shown how truly incompetant he is (just see his recent comments about his expectations for the team and his opinion of the Aussie public).

Reply #81366 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

I dont know the answer Kent, so I am not arguing either way. Just a question...

But if Goorj has lost more GFs than any other coach, is that a function of being in more of them (ie if you are only in 1 ever you can only have 1 loss, but if you are in more it is possible to lose more)?

Or are you saying he has lost more relatively (win-loss ratio)?

Reply #81370 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Daniel, I didnt say that Phil was given a great team...I was just stating the fact that at National level both coaches results suck.

As for having a look at BG's results in the last 2 olympics.... He didnt coach them in 2000!

Reply #81373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barry Barnes coached them in 2000 and they finished 4th

Reply #81391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #137604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #137605 | Report this post

BIG baller  
Years ago

#81271 phil was the boomers coach and got shafted and goorjian got free rain.

anyne who leaves shane heal on with a green light when he's chuckin up bricks is not a good coach, every time cj came on brought us back into the game and bang on comes shane "brick chucka" heal.

sorry just somethng i had to get off my chest :-)

phil is a good coach the 6ers struggle cos thier whole game relys on 3's and coops moppin up

Reply #137616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754