Anonymous
Years ago

Reserves results 09/05/06

Who has the results from Tuesdays reserves games? Any great team/individual performances? Any upsets?

Topic #7236 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure of last night's results but just looking at the ladder there seems to be a case for dropping Torrens Valley, Church and Adelaide Uni as they have only won 2 games between them (Against each other I assume). That way it would be a ten team comp as in ABA and probably be a better feeder comp for the ABA too.

Thoughts?

Reply #81269 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Give the teams a chance to prove themselves. I know Adelaide Uni had outgrown div 3, but are taking a bit of time in adjusting to playing at div 2 level. If you booted a team like this straight back to div 3, they'd just kill that and stake a claim for div 2 again within a season and you'd just have them bouncing from 2 to 3 season after season with no chance to improve. I say, if they've earned a run at div 2, give em a couple of seasons to prove they belong there, and if after a few seasons they are still struggling - maybe that's the time to drop em back down.

Reply #81280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, I feel that as long as teams are competitive in a division they should be staying there. If AU, SA Church and TValley are not getting pumped each week then they deserve their spot. The only way to be able to recruit, blood new players and give juniors the experience they need to play that division is to allow a team to be there, not just once off, but ongoing.
This said, if a team is losing each week by 30+ points and are not looking like pushing any other teams then there would be a reason for suggesting that dropping back a div might be worthwhile.
The reserves women is a classic example of this, UniSA have just broken through to the competition, and have had a win and have pushed other teams. Giving these girls a go may take a little time, but will provide opportunities for the team that Div 3 wouldn't. Flinders used to be in the same position as UniSA only about 7 or 8 years ago, but were given opportunities and are no longer close to relegation and in fact have pushed to play higher of recent times.

Reply #81347 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I agree guys. Give them a chance and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. From personal experience these guys seem to have the offensive game, but no defensive intensity or willingness to work quite hard enough down that end. I think if thoise teams could improve their 'd' they could win a lot more games at that level, IMO.

Reply #81352 | Report this post

wetmyhat  
Years ago

Daniel,

"I know Adelaide Uni had outgrown div 3"
Adelaide Uni did not even make the top 4 in the last season of Div 3, so I find it hard to believe that they would be even competitive in the reserve grade. The top three divion 3 sides from last year in my opinion would perhaps be around middle of the road reserves sides with maybe the potential to be finals sides in reserves.

Reply #81364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754