take your medicine
Years ago

state champs - what's hot / not

whats not - woodville u16 girls - top of table for home and away season - did not make top 4 on the weekend

Topic #7267 | Report this topic

what is -

paul arnott and sportingpulse - well done

the format - good spreading it out over 2 weekends - easing demand on resources - volunteers, referees, court availability etc

maybe next year - do not have it on mother's day - play a round of home and away that weekend and play the state champs the week after

Reply #81623 | Report this post

umpire in charge  
Years ago

Wood u/14 parents running out of ink at convenient times.

Reply #81626 | Report this post

whats hot - the atmosphere at pasadena sunday - great really rockin' at times

Reply #81630 | Report this post

Close out  
Years ago

STURT U/14 GIRLS FULL COURT DEFENSE!!
ABA TEAMS COULDN'T EXECUTE LIKE THAT.
THEY CHOKED FORRESTVILLE TO DEATH.

Reply #81637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats Hot - Chris Molitor's buzzer beater to break Southern's heart

Reply #81638 | Report this post

Hot

2 weekend format meant most resources weren't stretched.

Sporting Pulse results service.

Paul Arnott and BSA for employing him.

Not

The draw. One team had 6 games in 33 hours but there were horror stories in every grade to do with travel and short times between games. Hopefully this will be rectified next year by making sure all stadiums are free all weekend and playing the first round on Thursday night. It can't work any other way.

Referees. I know its easy to pick on the refs but the standard was way down on previous years when there were more panel refs and interstate refs involved. If this was a conscious decision by the referee heirarchy not to use these people then fix it next year. This is our most important time of the year and it shouldn't be jeopardised by manning games with overworked, underexperienced referees.

Reply #81643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not

From an outsiders point of view ,a spectating Sturt coach taking the time to test the flash of his camera while the southern team was shooting in the game against Southern on Saturday night.....it seemed to upset the UIC who spoke to the offending coach who then put his camera away....would have thought he's know better, but maybe he brought the flash along because he heard another light was hanging precariously from the rafters....tut tut

Reply #81656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the Nationals (and many other tournaments including Norwood), there are photographers engaged to take action shots of players and sell them. Some of them take photos right under the basket with a flash. If you are insinuating that he was deliberately putting Tigers players off then you are just stirring the pot. He was just taking photos. Chill out.

Reply #81659 | Report this post

Brian Griffin  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the professional photographers at Nationals do not use flash - it would be hugely distracting for the players and could certainly tip the balance in a tight game.

#81656 is right in saying the coach should have known better- the UIC was absolutely right in asking him to stop.

Reply #81665 | Report this post

excuses  
Years ago

whats not - is the jealous parent that had to have a cheep shot at the particular sturt coach (who was taking photo's for their website and club newsletter) when all he had to do was politely ask him if he would mind not using the flash. Way too suggest that that might be the reason southern lost@!!

whats hot - a coach was taking photo's to promote basketball in SA!!

Reply #81668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brian,

They did at 14 Nationals last year at the Starplex.

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill. Sturt won by over 20. I'm pretty sure "flash-photography-gate" had very little if anything to do with it.

Reply #81679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hot - Good effort on Sporting Pulse
Not - Using 3rd court at Port with scoreboard basically stuffed. No BASA scorers in the Grand Finals. I think/know parents would like to see and enjoy the Final with no added scoring pressure. Referees at Port (2 only). Please dont let them spoil this game ever again.

Reply #81682 | Report this post

Brian Griffin  
Years ago

OK - I'll stand corrected.

I was not there and was not suggesting the use of flash was a deliberate tactic by the coach in question. But as a general issue I think it would be better if flash was simply banned from stadiums.

Reply #81691 | Report this post

tigerjerk  
Years ago

I was there Brian and the southern parent in question acted like a complete ass. But we expect that from these types of people.

Reply #81697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not - Our CEO nowhere to be seen for the entire weekend.

Reply #81705 | Report this post

excuses  
Years ago

funny - I too was there watching that game and I didnt even notice the flash until the tiger parent made a fool of himself and their club.

Reply #81706 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I agree with the Molitor buzzer beater, that was very hot!

Reply #81709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STOP scorers usually give their time willingly to help during state champs and junior finals. To my knowledge there was no such request from BSA to ask for such volunteers.

If you don't ask you don't get

Reply #81710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grounds for a (southern)walkout?

Reply #81714 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have been to several State National Comps and have seen flashes going off regularly. Granted in a well lit stadium, it may not be needed, but there are some dingy dark holes in Adelaide stadiums where flashes would absolutely be needed

Reply #81718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hot

Sturt Under 18 Boys

Beat Southern by 20 on Sat night and everything is sweet. Then disaster, lose to South narrowly after being 20 down early. Then they down for the count against Fville, a buzzer beater 3 keeps them alive to win in 2OT. Then destroy North in the final. The biggest comeback since Lazarus. Well done boys!

Reply #81722 | Report this post

raincoat brigade  
Years ago

isn't a flash at a foul shooter indecent exposure

very serious legal point!

Reply #81755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuses,

Why would a sturt coach be taking photos of a Southern person taking fouls shots. You said they were for their website/newsletter!!

Reply #81765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kym Jury should have sent his assitant coach into the Sturt Huddle at a Time Out and asked why photos were being taken.

Reply #81780 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Thought you would enjoy Molitor's big 3 "The Journo"

Reply #81784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT'S NOT: Matt Ryan not at Pasadena.

Just purely cos the North Blonde jokes could have been whipped out!

Reply #81803 | Report this post

BIG WILLAE  
Years ago

with the whole camera thing i can understand both sides of the argument fair enuff, they "photographer" honeslty wasnt trying to use the flash as a cheap distraction but hypothetically if you are a player and have you heart set on making the " big time" thats the sort of thing you'll have to put up with.

Cameras going off spectators shouting profanities at you? might aswell get use to it now but as a general rule i say that there should be no flash photograhy on foul shots in juniors, save the hassle of disgruntled players parents coaches etc.

Reply #81805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE 81705 - the CEO was at the Dome Sunday arvo, but nowhere near the games... watching from the (crumbling) ivory tower?

Reply #81811 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Steaming hot - Molitor's 3 in i think but could be wrong lalic's face while fading out of bounds. gotta be close to moment of the torny!

Reply #81832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how bout some of the 18 close games

tigers over fville by 3 a missed triple on the buzzer to go into overtime

north over fville by 1

sturt hitting a 3 to send it to DOUBLE overtime

Reply #81836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood not making top four bad luck but it was nice for the north to beat them great win

Reply #81840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hot - north 18 boys, stepping up when needed and coming to play for state champs.
not - sturt coaches going down to southerns level and using bad sportmenship to try and get back at them for last year.

Reply #81845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gavin's great steal and followed up with a huge dunk in the Sturt game was Hot.

Reply #81848 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Florance's at M/Vale on Friday night was pretty darn good too!

Reply #81849 | Report this post

1 to 10  
Years ago

Florence is a gun, great to see he made the 18 State team and do well for his State.

Reply #81876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

81845 - What a ridiculous post!

I think its been established that the flash is a figment of some over-sensitive Southern parent's imagination. When Sturt start spying on opposition time outs and running "Indian" plays then they would have gone down to the past 2 Southern coach's level and I doubt that will happen. I think they just get their own back by winning games and titles. And by the way, the North boys stepped up in some big games but didn't in the most important one of all!

Reply #81880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep agree Norwood not making top 4 was a surprise. But to be fair, they have a lot of guys either not playing or playing injured right now. Even so, didn't see the North game but credit to them for a great win!

Reply #81934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Killa hit six threes. One a buzzer beater well over half way line. Hot hand.

Reply #82026 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

hot - U20s woodville vs sturt, gav's dunk on dodman and killa's halftime buzzer beater from well behind halfcourt.

Reply #82034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pffft, Southern people calling out others for poor sportsmanship is a comedy highlight.
Past two Southern coaches have
a) demeaned the opposition by running the "Indians" play.
b) cheated by sending assistant coach to opposition timeout huddle to get their play.

The Southern parents being talked about could have simply asked the coach to stop using the flash. By making a big rant about it just proves their bad sportsmanship is not only confined to their coach! You lost by 20-odd, a couple of flash shots did not cost you the game!!

Reply #82181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hot - Russo hitting a three pointer LEFT handed on Killa's head!

Reply #82186 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

is the guy left handed, if not, why would you do that??

Reply #82252 | Report this post

Because playing against Killa with your correct hand is too easy and no fun.

Reply #82257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754