Indiana
Years ago

Melbourne Classic Contenders/Pretenders

Time to turn our attention east!
Can we get the top teams in Melbourne at present, and possible NSW entries.
Boys

U/12 Werribee,Knox,Bulleen,Sturt
u/14 Nunawading, Mckinnon,Sturt,Dandenong
u/16 Nunawading,Sandringham,Geelong,Sturt
u/18 Nunawading,Darebin,Dandenong,Sturt,Keilor

Girls
u/12 Bulleen,Nunawading,Dand,Kilsyth,North
u/14 Sturt,Bulleen,Nunawading,Forestville
U/16 Eltham, Nunawading,North,???
U/18 Dandenong,Nunawading,Kilsyth,Nwd

What is likely to be there from other states.
Is our only real winner the Sturt u/14 girls??

Topic #7271 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weribee tough in 12 Boys but Sturt boys could make the final and cause an upset.

Sturt a real shot in 14 Boys given they beat pace setter Dandenong by plenty in the Norwood final. Norwood and Eastern not far away either.

Sturt and Sandringham a likely final in 16 Boys given the Sturt boys current form. West not far off on their best form.

Under 18 Boys Nunawading hot favourites, but Sturt a contender beating unbeaten Darebin by 20 at Easter. And the SA top 6 are all very close so we could have a number of contenders here.

Melbourne teams dominated Under 12 Girls at Norwood, so probably not an SA winner here.

Sturt early favourites in 14 Girls.

Sturt and North would both have to be at their best to contend in 16 Girls.

North probably our only realistic chance at Under 18 Girls.

Reply #81739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North U/12s were very good and well coached this weekend.
Do you not rate them?

Reply #81740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are good, but the Melbourne teams looked much better at Easter.

Reply #81741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many teams gets to go from Adelaide??

and when will they find out?

Reply #81753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to wait and see if that U18 west girls team will even make classics this year after a very disapointing tournament...i thought they were way better than any other team..well they finished 4th...and lost to a very small norwood team where they had 3 girls over 6ft..yes norwood girls can shoot, but they should be dominating in offense..disapointing effort by the team

Reply #81760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes West had a disappointing tournament. The girls were extremely let down with their perfomances. Hopefully they will make it to Classics so they can bounce back from this and prove to everyone they have what it takes.

Reply #81769 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

How about Forestville in the Under 12 girls who BEAT North. They are playing well.

Reply #81783 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Yes In the Know.

I think your right there.
Competitive couple of teams very well coached.
Very impressed with the transition of north and also the footwork.

Reply #81788 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Actually think Sturt are around the mark also, as they lost to FV by 1 and North by 6 in the semi.

Reply #81791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

our u16 girls are 20 points behind the vics - my money on u14 girls

Reply #81802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

injuries hurt the west 18s girls some, certainly 4 them were not 100%....but really there depth has been their strength all year, and that and their size should carried them further...

they had norwood mid way thru the 3rd quarter and then went to sleep and left the norwood shooters open and made some dreadful decisions on offense against an active Norwood D, missed 3s and FTs and poor passing the result.

they probably did well to force overtime on a monster 3, but then bad decisions saw overtime slip away...

I'm sure they are all disappointed (I spoke to the coach today and he was pretty devastated) but hopefully they can get to the Classics to make ammends, they are clearly better than fourth and need to prove it

Reply #81810 | Report this post

chicka  
Years ago

i did not have the pleasure of watching the tall gUrl play at the classics clash on the weekend. i heard that she hurt her groin a big loss for the westies...not to worry, adelaidians will be sure to see this gUrl hit the court some time soon.
signing off

Reply #81819 | Report this post

chicka  
Years ago

hey people its me...chicka...again! hehe! does anybody know the name of this tall gUrl? if so, give 'ZA' a tingle on 0393455888
i was in toywn just for the classics and would like to get some interviews happening with her..thanks,
signing off once again, classics chicka

Reply #81821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gUrl? whats with the spelling?

Reply #81827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which girl? i believe west had 3 talls. be more specific

Reply #81829 | Report this post

chicka  
Years ago

The gUrl maybe #36 or #35 i cn't memba exactly...she isnt quite da tallest, but definately the most athletic one. she got some game!
chicka

Reply #81838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AGAIN! Why do you spell it gUrl? Is there really any need?

Reply #81844 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Don't you think Sturt U16 girls, at their best, could take it up to the vics?

Reply #81867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should be a great tournament, should be very interesting how the u18 boys teams will go. I think all but Southern should get top 8.

Reply #81871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe norwood girls should be given a bit more credit for beating west adelaide?

Reply #81886 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

i think that in the Under 18 Boys Sturt will do very well. Watched them play in the Norwood Tournament and they were very well drilled. Who is the Sturt 18 Boys assistant coach

Reply #81963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deano is the assistant (former forestville under 18's div 2 coach) has put in tireless hours behind the scenes and has given this team a real legup this year

Reply #81970 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

he certainly did his homework during the Norwood Tournament.How do you think Sturt will go in Dandenong. Will North and South Adelaide also go?

Reply #81980 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Mr Smoothe,

South? Finished sixth at State Champs so will be extremely lucky if they get an invite.

Reply #81983 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

So Cat in the Hat,
How will Sturt go against a Nunawading in Melb .Your thoughts

Reply #81987 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Sturt are in extremely good form the last month or so and if they can keep it going for another month they should do extremely well.
The other SA teams (North, Forestville and Southern) have been good at times but are probably a bit behind where Sturt are at right now.
The other possibility is Norwood, if they get lucky and get an invite. Have probably been the best team all year (won summer and currently top) but they had a terrible State Champs, finishing fifth.

Reply #81993 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

Cat,
i have seen Norwood and Sturt at the Norwood Tournament and thought Sturt were well prepared. Melb and Kilsyth they will get ok. Not sure about Ballarat, Darebin or Keilor though. Ballarat have 3 vic country kids and have good size about them. Dandenong are always hard to beat and have 3 state boys in the team.

Reply #81994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mr smoothe,

so you think sturt would beat melb or kilsyth? would other sa teams go close to making top 8?

where are you from? have you seen vic teams play?

Reply #81997 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

Cat,Yeah i have seen all the 18 vic teams play this year. my friend who is a coach in Vic put me onto these forums and said they were very interesting. i agree.i wont say which club i am from but will say we have played most other teams in both divisions.

Reply #82001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood didn't win the game. west lost it

Reply #82009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damn straight, norwood got very very lucky and got west on a very off day. West is clearly the better side, however norwood come away with the win...and a certain spot at classics, which cant be said for west. very disapointing championship from a champion team. They will hit back

Reply #82014 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Mr Smoothe

The Norwood team you saw at Easter had 3 regular players missing through injury. Having said that, even at full strength I would rate them just below Sturt at present.

Reply #82015 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

i would like to see Nunawading 18s really pushed this year. They are full of themselves and the coach is a bit of a toss. Saying that they have the wood on Dandenong

Reply #82017 | Report this post

go flames  
Years ago

Mr smoothe
any information on the 16 boys?
besides sandi

Reply #82022 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

Sandi will be hard to beat but may struggle against a team with good guards and maybe 2 handy bigs. Eltham are well drilled and i watched melb a few weeks ago and they had some talls that were good.Sandi have Jack Watts...hes a 6ft 2 guard..stop him and you may do ok and hes injured at the moment

Reply #82025 | Report this post

go flames  
Years ago

what about the likes of kilsyth, knox geelong?

Reply #82027 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

Kilsyth teams are always well drilled and they have a couple of guys that just missed state. Saw knox lose to melb a few weeks ago and they look ok but not up to the top 4 teams in the state.
Geelong have some size about them but somehow lack intensity.

Reply #82029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any Idea on Bulleen 16's boys who beat Eltham by 20 a few weeks ago ?

Reply #82096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, Do not discount Darebin in 18 boys, have answered everyone with their results in the past 7 weeks and will surprise people who do not rate them .

Reply #82097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jack watts is more like 6'4.

Reply #82101 | Report this post

mr smoothe  
Years ago

bulleen i believe are coached by the Vic Metro coach.they are well drilled and on their day will beat a lot of teams but not Sandy

Reply #82105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the Sturt U18 Girls. A little birdie tells me that Emma Langford is playing in June. And last year they got 2nd.

Reply #82106 | Report this post

hooper  
Years ago

does anywone rate anyother 18 boys teams apart from Sturt. how about Forestville...dont they have the kid who carries the ball like no other i have seen.

Reply #82107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the 16 boys - it will NOT be a Sturt v Sandy final. If things pan out and both teams win their pool, they will be slated to play in a semi!!

TOUGH semi!

West should be around the mark too with a much nicer draw.

Reply #82182 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Is Harvey really that good?

Reply #82248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC_fan, yes he is!

Reply #82251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Sturt U12s boys any good?

Reply #82613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is realistically going to get smashed over in Melbourne?

Reply #82910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ALL THE U/ 14 GIRLS EXCEPT FOR STURT AND FORESTVILLE.
ALL THE U12 GIRLS.

Reply #82923 | Report this post

chicka  
Years ago

oH hEy gUyZ n gUrLz iT sUrE iZ mE aGaIn cHicKa!! :P :P :P i JuSt WaNteD 2 saI tHanKz HeApz 4 eVry1 tRyn 2 fYnD mE dAt tAlL bBalLeR. . . aN eVeN bIgGa ThNx GoEz OuT 2 dA kInD pErSoN dAt PoStYd hUr NuMbA, i GoT dA iNtErVieW & mA lOcAl NeWsPaPa TaWt iT wOz A gOoD rEaD :) hOpE 2 C u AlL @ dA kLaYsYcKz KlAsH iN dA lOvElY hOmE oF NUNNDAWADDYNG ;)

Reply #83369 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

"kLaYsYcKz"? "TaWt"?

What is this, dialogue from a Sylvester-Tweety Bird cartoon?

Whoever Chicka - sorry, cHiCkKa - is, they are the future of writing in this country. I for one am excited.

Reply #83488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Isaac its time for the bunny!

Reply #83493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time for the bunny?

Reply #83582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #83611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754