Sixers33
Years ago

paying ABC the answer?

I saw the article in today's newspaper about that commentator being sacked. It said in the article that they get no profit.

Well... how about the NBL PAY the Abc? Maybe enough so they can make a nice profit and even have a couple of sponsors on.

Or....

The Adelaide 36ers new owners can market out the team more and buy space on Abc and have a show than replays for Adelaide only. Wouldn't be that expensive, 2 1/2 hour program...

I would love to see this as a sixer supporter andmany others would. It could boost crowd numbers.

Topic #7330 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

abc i think is the answer as they have minor sports broadcasting arrangement, but it needs to be done at a nbl level not a team level as fox have the strangle hold on it, and would not let a indervidual club do so, saying that a club may be able to run a panel type show, with no actual footage shown, but then im not sure what the player requirements are as to the media and what they can actually do,

isaac might know what a players requirements are

Reply #82446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers33, you can't buy space on the ABC. That's not how it works.

What they should try IMO is reworking the Fox deal so that each team can pursue local TV deals where possible (will help the more regional teams to start with), and look into putting out a show and highlights package over the net that is a lot better than Fox's online video offering (difficult to use streaming, not all that much content, etc). Both of these things would be a start.

Reply #82485 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Issac,

I can assure you the NBL used to pay the ABC for its coverage in the Rymarz era.

Reply #82496 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I don't think Fox is the solution. With the rising interest rates and petrol prices, people will choose to get rid of the luxuries like Foxtel. I think that is one reason why Foxtel are advertising it so cheaply at the moment. Free to air has to be the way to go.

Reply #82504 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

in the know i agree it needs to be FTA first Paytv secound like AFL

now thats a synergy that works well,

Reply #82510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, pay for the time, or pay for the production?

When there is so much rubbish on TV, how the NBL can't get the product on FTA, I don't know. One thing probably crippling opportunities are Fox's restrictions.

Reply #82537 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Isaac,

I think they pinned it as paying
"production" costs - around 250,000 per season.

Even then, the ABC was reluctant to do it - it apparently was pretty sensitive at the ABC internally.

Reply #82556 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SBS has a fairly busy cultural and ethnic schedule, but often the main three networks are running absolute rubbish late at night. I can't see why there couldn't be a delayed telecast or something. But anyone trying would come up against the Fox restrictions.

I remember reading something about the Pirates having to turn away naming rights sponsorship from an airline and TV network because the airline could conflict with Qantas/Virgin/whoever it was at the time and the TV network would be competing with Fox.

Sure, you have to look after your sponsors, but when Fox is only available to paying customers, and it stops you from reaching more via FTA, I don't know if it's worth it.

Reply #82559 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I personally think Network Ten is the station the NBL should be pushing their product to. The network dont have much Sport being shown during the summer as it is and if its true they have also now lost the V8's (which is a tremendous shame, when do 7 plan to actually televise this? Highlights at halftime of the footy?)
then they may have some spare cash & time in their sports dept to get it up and going. If they could also get some NBA coverage to go along with this they could tie them in together to really promote the game well. Ten having the youger generation as their main focus audience, I personally think it would suit both parties perfectly.

Reply #82568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754