Isaac
Years ago

Detroit host Cleveland in Game 7, spoiler

Pistons just too experienced, winning 79-61. Lebron had 27 and 8, but only Larry Hughes joined him in double figures as Snow, Jones, Marshall and Gooden combined for 1/19 FG. Murray started and gave 1/4.

Tayshaun Prince continued his recent form to have 20/7/3 while Hamilton had 15, Sheed 13 and Billups 12.

An amazing effort by Cleveland to force the series to seven games after many predicted it to be done in four or five.

Spurs play Mavs and the Suns meet the Clippers in the other two game sevens tomorrow. From what I've read, this has been one of the most competitive playoff races in NBA history. ESPN were mentioning 1994 as another season when three series in the same round went to a seventh game.

Topic #7343 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Just returned from the pub where the game was being shown, a few observations.

1. LeBron was phenomenal in the first half and non existant in the second.

2. No other Cleveland player contributed anything of significance. Varajeo was useful in his 15 mins but besides LeBron, Larry Hughes was the only other player in double figures (10 points) and he only made 2 field goals.

3. Ilgauskas is the ugliest man in the world and that beard does him no favours.

At half time on the UK coverage they had a story about what the top players get paid. Shaq was top of the list, fair play, Webber second, clearly not the 2nd most valuable player in the league but once upon a time he was a genuine superstar and perhaps the 76ers thought he could recreate that form. Biggest shock was number 3, Michael Finley. Yeah, that's right, that guy that averages 10 points, 3 boards and an assit coming off the Spurs bench. I hope his agent is getting a nice cut of that US$17m per year salary cos he's worth it!!

Reply #82540 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

LeBron's poor second half in Game 7 was nothing more than a part of a psychological war he has been waging between his team mates, the coaching staff and Cavs management. He was making a statement by playing poorly in the 2nd half of Game 7.

Reply #82548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To what end do you think he would be doing that?

Reply #82549 | Report this post

Years ago

I knew the Pistons would win!

billo, I think you'll find the Webber and Finley contracts are long-term ones that were signed about 4 years ago, when their value as players was much much higher.

Here's a site that has all player salaries from the beginning of this season http://home.earthlink.net/~jtkramer65/05-06salaries.htm

Reply #82557 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Finley wouldn't be on much with his contract with the Spurs, Dallas is still paying out his previous contract on top of his current one with the new rule (know as the "Allen Houston rule" at the time) that came in at the start of the season.

Reply #82571 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

This picture tells it all (credit to Need4Sheed):

http://www.pistonsdownloads.com/images/sheedchamp.jpg

I hate the Pistons. Call me an old Jordan-Bulls relic, but I really wanted a Pistons loss. Go Bulls, oops, Heat.

Reply #82574 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Jasmine ,

What are you on about ?

Reply #82581 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Regarding the Salaries, I though the most interesting point was Allan Houston is still the second highest paid NBA player, plus Brian Grant is 10th...

On Houston:
"The Knicks are responsible for Houston's $39.8 million over the next two years."

Man, that hurts.

Top NBA Salaries 2006
1. Shaquille O'Neal Miami$20,000,000
2. Allan Houston New York $19,125,000
-. Chris Webber Philadelphia$19,125,000
4. Michael Finley Dallas / San Antonio$18,612,500
5. Kevin Garnett Minnesota $18,000,000
6. Stephon Marbury New York$16,453,125
-. Allen Iverson Philadelphia$16,453,125
8. Jason Kidd New Jersey $16,440,000
9. Jermaine O'Neal Indiana$16,425,000
10. Brian Grant LA Lakers / Phoenix$16,128,438

Reply #82596 | Report this post

Years ago

"LeBron's poor second half in Game 7 was nothing more than a part of a psychological war he has been waging between his team mates, the coaching staff and Cavs management. He was making a statement by playing poorly in the 2nd half of Game 7."

I think what Jasmine was trying to say is that he tanked because he believes he doesn't have the support cast he wants for next season and they should start shopping. But in a Game 7 ... there is no logic in tanking just to get back at your own club. It's a totally crass thing to say about one of the best players in the league. Jasmine i think is still suffering from a Kobe hangover lol (Kobe not taking over Game 7 v the Suns and the Lakers getting thumped).

Credit to the Pistons though ... they woke up, started to play basketball and not try to be the Harlem Globetrotters of the 21st Century.

As for salaries they are a club killer in my book.

Reply #82624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I agree. Lebron is more likely to get what he wants if he goes deep into the playoffs. They really stepped up the D on him in the second half - he can't win it all by himself all the time...

Reply #82637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron James just finally succumbed to the Pistons pressure, and his teammates were unable to make up for that. Simple.

And Michael Finley has always been an overrated player, in my opinion. But anyway, his salary works as follows:

2005-06
$17,595,874 total
$2,675,000 - San Antonio
$14,920,874 - Dallas

Statistics
6'7" / 225lb SG/SF 33 Years Old (D.O.B. - March 6, 1973)
10.13 points per game
3.21 rebounds per game
1.51 assist per game
26.45 minutes per game

2006-07
$19,042,229 total
$2,889,000 - San Antonio
$16,153,229 - Dallas

2007-08
$20,488,978 total
$3,103,000 - San Antonio
$17,385,978 - Dallas

Reply #82834 | Report this post

Years ago

I forgot to add in that last post, the Pistons will win the NBA Championship. No doubt.

Reply #82838 | Report this post

No doubt? I think a lot of doubt is there, considering they nearly didn't make it through the conference semis

Reply #82845 | Report this post

Years ago

Their own General Manager admitted they weren't playing 100%, more like "60-70%", so I think they're a lot better than you give them credit for ELG

Reply #82872 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

how can this be a "spoiler" when we don't even get to see the games on pathetic ESPN or Fckstel ?? Keep up the dog shows you stupid cable providers

Reply #82913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Detroit play Phoenix ... they will win this year. But both teams have to get past Dallas and Miami and Miami are playing well right now. This will be a seven series in the East.

Reply #82929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754