Hoop Addict
Years ago

Raptors Win NBA Lottery

The Toronto Raptors have won the NBA Lottery.

ESPN.com are suggesting it's likely the Raptors will select one of Adam Morrison, LeMarcus Aldridge, Andrea Bargnani or Tyrus Thomas. All front court players.

It's not a particularly strong draft by the looks of it. Had Noah nominated or Oden qualified for this draft, a front court of Bosh, Villanueva, Oden/Noah would have been pretty intimidating, even if it means playing CV as a 3.

It also seems possible the Raptors could trade the pick for a veteran centre (which they definitely need) and pick up a rookie PG (Marcus Williams?) to replace Mike James, who appears to be headed elsewhere in search of a nice payday.

Who do you think they should or will pick #1?

According to Realgm.com the Bulls will select 2nd & the Bobcats 3rd.

Topic #7373 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

The first round looks like this:

1. Toronto Raptors
2. Chicago Bulls
3. Charlotte Bobcats
4. Portland Trailblazers
5. Atlanta Hawks
6. Minnesota Timberwolves
7. Boston Celtics
8. Houston Rockets
9. Golden State Warriors
10. Seattle SuperSonics
11. Orlando Magic
12. New Orleans Hornets
13. Philadelphia 76ers
14. Utah Jazz

The Bulls are laughing (especially at the Knicks) and will get some help in either Alridge or Thomas.

Problem for the Raps is the two most discussed possible No 1 are both power forwards, a position that they a already pretty good in.

I'm tipping that the Raps could pick Bargnani (fits the new direction of the Raps. Their GM is Bargnani's old GM, plus Bargnani has threatened to pull a 'fran' and not report if the Raps don't pick him) or they trade the pick.

Biggest losers are Portland.

The Bobcats are also in a tight spot, if Bargnani goes 1 then that leaves them either Aldridge or Thomas, problem is that they are good at the PF with Okafor and May. If Bargnani is around at 3 expect the Cats to grab him.

Possible trade between the Raps and Cats. Cats give up Brevin Knight and the third for No 1.

Reply #82911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The New York Knicks are going to be very quiet for the next 4 years at least.

Reply #82915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who's Bargnani? Never heard of him.

Reply #82917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

euro kid. i have it from a bobcats coach that there is strong talks of the above trade, looks promising and could make the bobcats very strong if it goes through, bit like the bulls of late

Reply #82919 | Report this post

Years ago

Well good for the Raptors ... they need someone to support Chris Bosh if he wishes to stay.

Reply #82930 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bargnani is 6-11, 240 pound kid out of Italy and is currently playing for Benetton Treviso. He's listed as a power forward, but much more suited to the small forward position.

He will need to develope some body strength, but has a great handle and apparently a quicker first step then Dirk. He's pretty much a one-on-one type of player, and doesn't have the greatest back to the basket game.

He's been seen as the next Dirk.

Reply #82956 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

finally the nba draft is near. ive had an extended break from the forum back im back.

Reply #82990 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i have heard rumors that the hawks will still draft the best talent avaliable even though they are in desperate need of a pg to set up the offence.

Reply #82992 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Bobcats need perimeter scoring. If Bargnani can provide this and is available then they may pick him up. Morrison is the next logical pick for them, with brandon roy a possibility as they need a shooter. Don't discount Rudy Gay going at 3 as bickerstaff loves long athletic players.

Reply #82994 | Report this post

Adam Morrison or Tyrus Thomas to the Bobcats, please!

Reply #82998 | Report this post

p.s Mike James is the biggest asshole in the NBA. You're no allstar buddy, stop looking for the multi million dollar contract you aren't good enough for one

Reply #83000 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

As a Cats fan I'd like to see them trade up to 1 (Knight trade) and take Aldridge with the No 1. Shift Oak to his proper position of pf.

If Aldridge is gone (as he should) then they should grab Morrison or Roy with the 3rd or trade down to the 4th or 5th and grab Gay.

Problem for the Hawks, it's a very thin draft for point guards and centres. The top is loaded with swingmen, something the Hawks don't need. They may reach and grab Foye or Williams or maybe trade down a bit and take O'Bryant.

Reply #83001 | Report this post

Years ago

Here's my view of things for the top 6 teams

---------------
#1 - Toronto Raptors
---------------
Andrea Bargani seems like he's too similar to what Toronto already have in Charlie Villenueva. That is, a tall athletic outside-inside guy. However, they could just forgo convention and have three 6'11" guys in the core group, possibly even all starting (and yes, I do believe they should fast-track Bargani, despite him being an 18-year-old). If they stick with the #1 spot, they must do everything they can to sign Mike James. This way, they at least have a solid nucleus:
C - Chris Bosh
PF - Charlie Villenueva
SF - Joey Graham
SG - Morris Peterson
PG - Mike James
---------------
C - Loren Woods
PF - Antonio Davis
SF - Andrea Bargani
SG - Denham Brown (pick #35)
PG - Jose Calderon
C - Rafael Arujo
PF - Matt Bonner
---------------
PF - Pape Sow

If they don't like the Bargani option, then maybe they should forget about re-signing James and just trade down for Marcus Williams. They can still draft Bargani and not re-sign James, but I'm not sure that Calderon will be good enough to handle the point full-time, because he wouldn't have any noted backup at this stage.

The problem for Toronto (and for most teams really) is that there are too many PFs, and not enough straight-up centres, and there aren't enough pure PGs either. If there was a 7'0", 250lbs centre on offer or a 6'3" PG who can average 8+ assists and consistently score outside and inside, then it'd be a different story. I guess that's a problem in general for basketball at the moment anyway. Marcus Williams has the playmaking part down, he just has some shooting woes (although I did read somewhere that during a workout he had for scouts recently, he drained something in the order of 17-of-20 from the NBA 3-point range).

---------------
#2 - Chicago Bulls
---------------
The team in the box seat is obviously Chicago. They should not worry about signing free agent Al Harrington, and just draft LaMarcus Aldridge. That would give them the following line-up, which is definitely competitive:
C - Tyson Chandler
PF - LaMarcus Aldridge
SF - Andres Nocioni
SG - Ben Gordon
PG - Kirk Hinrich
---------------
C - Luke Schenscher
PF - Mike Sweetney
SF - Luol Deng
SG - JJ Redick (draft him with the #16 pick. If not, get 6'11" C Hilton Armstrong)
PG - Chris Duhon
C - Malik Allen
PF - Othella Harrington (if re-signed)
---------------
SF - Randy Holcomb (if re-signed)
SG - Stephen Graham(if re-signed)
PG - Randy Livingston (if re-signed)

---------------
#3 - Charlotte Bobcats
---------------
The perfect deal for the Bobcats would be Brevin Knight + Jumaine Jones to Atlanta for their pick, but I'm not sure if Atlanta wants another SF. Along with this, they should re-sign Melvin Ely, because he's too valuable of an inside scorer to lose. He might not be content with being a backup however. If these moves are made, Charlotte would have a core of young talented guys with clear positions and young capable backups, capable of winning around 30 games I reckon:
C - Primoz Brezec
PF - Emeaka Okafor
SF - Gerald Wallace
SG - Brandon Roy
PG - Raymond Felton
---------------
C - Melvin Ely
PF - Sean May
SF - Adam Morrison
SG - Bernard Robinson
PG - Kevin Burleson
C - Jake Voskuhl
PF - Lonny Baxter
---------------
SF - Matt Carroll (if not traded)
SG - Alan Anderson

---------------
#4 - Portland Trailblazers
---------------
Get rid of Zach Randolph and Darius Miles. Possibly buy their contracts if they have to. Just get rid of the guys. Randolph doesn't defend much inside, and Miles sulks a lot and acts like a jerk, plus doesn't perform to his full ability. This would make the team a lot more balanced as well. They should take Tyrus Thomas and make him into the player people thought Stromile Swift could be. They definitely should re-sign Joel Przybilla as well, which would give them young, active shotblockers to build around inside:
C - Joel Przybilla
PF - Tyrus Thomas
SF - Victor Khryapa
SG - Juan Dixon
PG - Sebastian Telfair
---------------
C - Theo Ratliff
PF - Paul Millsap (pick #30)
SF - Travis Outlaw
SG - Martell Webster
PG - Steve Blake
C - Ha Seung-Jin
PF - Brian Skinner
---------------
SF - Sergei Monia
SG - Mike Gansey (pick #31)
PG - Jarrett Jack
This squad would be loaded with young eager talent. So loaded that they probably wouldn't know how to give them all games and time on the court during the season. But with Randolph and Miles bought out, you might not get players in return, but you get future cap space and a more content locker room.

---------------
#5 - Atlanta Hawks
---------------
I suggest the trade with Charlotte above, but I'm not sure they need another SF in the system. Maybe letting Harrington go would release the logjam. If they did that, this is how the lineup could look:
C - Zaza Pachulia
PF - Marvin Williams
SF - Josh Smith
SG - Joe Johnson
PG - Brevin Knight
---------------
C - David Anderson (should finally sign on this year)
PF - Kevin Pittsnogle (pick #33)
SF - Josh Childress
SG - Salim Stoudamire
PG - Tyronn Lue
C - John Edwards
PF - Esteban Batista
---------------
SF - Jumaine Jones / Donta Smith (if re-signed)
SG - Anthony Grundy (if re-signed)
PG - Royal Ivey (if re-signed)

---------------
#6 - Minnesota Timberwolves
---------------
They can improve quickly with this draft. They need a centre, but they'd probably be reaching if they picked Patrick O'Bryant here. They shouldn't trade Kevin Garnett, because they won't get another inside guy of his standard. His type are hard to find. Rudy Gay is the way to go I think. Hopefully someone lights a fire under his ass and he perfoms. Maybe the old "feeling disrespected because he got drafted so low" will get him going. Here's how they'd probably work:
C - Mark Blount
PF - Kevin Garnett
SF - Rudy Gay
SG - Ricky Davis
PG - Marcus Banks (should be re-signed)
---------------
C - Eddie Griffin
PF - Craig Smith (pick #36)
SF - Trenton Hassell
SG - Rashad McCants
PG - Marko Jaric
C - Paul Davis (pick #37)
PF - Justin Reed
---------------
SF - Lior Eliahu (pick #57)
SG - Bracey Wright
PG - Troy Hudson
And somehow axe the rest (SF Ronald Dupree, SG Richie Frahm, PF Mark Madsen)

Reply #83021 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Brandon Roy's got his name all over next season's R.O.Y award.

Sorry.

(Mod: Here's the soundtrack for your joke.)

Reply #83023 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

What does everyone think of PJ Tucker from Texas? He is one of those guys without an NBA position but i think he could have a long career as a solid role player...

Reply #83037 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

3, nice write up. I do see some holes in it but....

No way Atlanta is going to trade their pick. Firstly, they don't have a good first round pick next year (I expect them it improve a fair bit next season. The pick is protected 1-3 in 07 and no protection in 2008) and they have to give up another pick for the Joe Johnson trade. I expect the Hawks to draft Foye (6-3 pg) with this pick.

I rate Bargnani, but it would be concerning to a GM to hear him talking about staying in Europe if he's not selected by the Raps (this was before the draft selections were done). Are the Raps willing to use a No 1 on a 18 year old Euro??? I'm thinking they'll take Aldridge, and push Bosh to his true position of power forward, and shift Villi to the small forward. All the GM's remember the orlando and fran episode.

I don't think that Mike James is a 'must sign'. I'm thinking that they need a passer more that a scorer. In Bosh, Mo Pete, Villi and the No 1 they should have enough firepower. What they need is for someone to get them the ball. I'd be finding a way to get someone like Troy Hudson (Wolves), Dan Dikau (Boston) or Speedy Claxton (Hornets). Caladron can back up. I have heard another trade rumour is that the Bulls will trade Duhon and No 2 for the No 1 and take Aldridge leaving Bargnani for the Raps.

With the Cats, I've heard that they could trade Knight plus No 3 to the Raps for No 1. This is my preferred trade. Only question is WHO does Chicago pick. The bulls could ruin this potentional swap by scaring the Raps and picking Bargnani if Aldridge goes No 1. I've heard Pax isn't over the moon with TT and wants Aldridge. If this Cats-Raps trade takes place then I expect they will take Gay or Roy at 3 (Cats have Aldridge at 1). Not high on Joey Graham starting at SF.

TT goes to Portland. Raps don't need him, Chicago don't want him, Cats are good at the pf position, hence leaves Portland. Portland could also take Morrison (if the Cats don't trade for 1, I think he'll go 3 or 4).

Atlants goes Foye.

Minni goes Morrison, Gay or Roy depending on who's left. Problem is Morrison is exactly what they traded away in Wally World. Morrison could be another slider.

Houston, I'm thinking Williams or Carney.

Warriors, will reach (have a history of that with Diogi) and select O'Bryant.

Seattle will go big. Armstrong or Shelden.

Magic, I'm thinking Redick.

Hornets, I have a real feeling and they will go a huge reach and select Aaron Gray if O'Bryant isn't around. Gray could be the darkhorse of the draft.

Reply #83088 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Damn TR you still collecting college cards or what? How are you getting all this knowledge??

Reply #83101 | Report this post

Years ago

Just a correction to what I said in my last post, Andrea Bargani is actually 20 years old (d.o.b. 26/10/85), and he's a 6'11", 240lbs PF/SF

Reply #83120 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Shawne Williams from Memphis is a sleeper in this years draft, future star

Reply #83213 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

the whole top 5 is up in the air until the raptors work out what there gonna do.they are thinking hard about trading the pick to pick up marcus williams. no team is really clear yet on who there going for.

Reply #83711 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

The real question is, whose going to pick up brad newley lol

Reply #83737 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

there is about 5 pg's all in the running to be drafted by atlanta. a guard they must be thinking about will be a pg that played in the same high school team as josh smith, and was mentioned as there best player in that team. a driving player maker. his name is rajon rondo from Kentucky!!!!

Reply #84166 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I think Rondo can make it the NBA playing much the same way Devin Harris does, however him going before Marcus Williams is unlikely, his pure pg and playmaking ability is heads and shoulders above anyone else in the draft

Reply #84171 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheeze, the only two PG's you'd be after would be Williams and Foye. Forget about the rest unless you trade down to the bottom of the first round.

Reply #84174 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

can someone please show signs of taking al harrington off of us

Reply #85475 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

apparently hawks management have agreed to take sheldon in the draft???????

Reply #85562 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

could be a smokescreen....can't believe they would take him over all the quality bigmen and pg's in the draft

Reply #85566 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754