Brian Devey
Years ago

Funny South Announces ABL Men's Coach

I am pleased to announce that as you read this the SABC Committee, in a unanimous decision, will be meeting with ALL of the immediate past season's ABL Men at the New York Bar & Grill to announce and introduce Kelly Manning as the Men's ABL Coach for the next 3 years. The only absentee will be Adam Blight who is in Bali but who has sent his best wishes. Invited and attending guests also include new additions to the men's playing line up for 2005, together with Kay-lee Elsdon, SABC Women's ABL 2005 Coach, Colleen Kaesler and others. Kelly's family will also be attendance to participate in the celebrations.
Brian Devey
President
SABC

Topic #738 | Report this topic

incognito  
Years ago

Well done and good luck South! If there is one thing that clubs administrations can do best for themselves is to appoint coaches and show an unwavering commitment and confidence in them while they have them in the position. It looks like South are doing this.

The New York Bar & Grill will be krankin no doubt.

Still remember a certain former South player, current coach and former security worker enabling free entry for me and some mates into the venue on a number of occasions and for that, at least, South is pretty good.

Reply #7805 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Excellent choice, congrats!

Reply #7819 | Report this post

x factor  
Years ago

Who is Kelly Manning?

Reply #7823 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Does this mean Kelly will be doubling up as U18s coach & ABL coach?

If that's the case, in some regards, it could be seen as a positive move to bridge the gap between seniors & juniors.

Good luck to Kelly in his new role.

Reply #7834 | Report this post

Woogie  
Years ago

All the best to Kelly, I hope she does really well....

Reply #7851 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Kelly is a guy woogie!

Reply #7856 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Good to see Boti give it a write-up in the paper, too. More publicity for basketball is always good!

Interesting to see that Leon Karvelis & Luke Walsh have moved to South for 2005.

Reply #7862 | Report this post

Mid Court Screen  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, maybe the benches are more comfortable at marion stadium than they are down at the Port.

Reply #7865 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

boti also noted 4 coachs in 4 seasons
with nothing to show and again pick a
has yet untried internal upgrade,who
is only used to telling jnrs,the moves,we hope the new coach puts a hard line on the return of some players,good luck we will watch with
interest,

Reply #7999 | Report this post

mum  
Years ago

Oh Mole you are not very nice, Kelly Manning as ABA coach is the most intelligent move South have made for months.
Remember Mum ALWAYS knows best ;-)

Reply #8026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly came up through the ranks and was assistant coach under Don, one of Souths most highly regarded seniors coaches. Yes he has a working knowledge of the juniors which he will use to get the club back on track, not just the seniors. Also, Kelly was coaching under 18's when guys like Danny Kosmider were still playing there. He know's the game of most of the guys and has their respect. Mole, your opinion lacks a lot of factual basis.

Reply #8047 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

but to take kelly over AL GREEN when al was asked to put his hat back in the ring and then reject it,sorry every body has there opinon but don't tell us kelly is a better coach than al,

you mension kosmider u think his game has improved since then? he needs a major pull in after some of his verbul out/bursts to both ref's and his then coach scanlon,that's one reason 2 why we say kelly will have to be harder,we will see we will watch with interest,oh,and mums
don't know what there little boy's do "but that's another thread",the truth is out there,

Reply #8093 | Report this post

mum  
Years ago

I think Al is a great coach, far better than Kay lee, i wish he was still coaching the women. As for Kelly being a better coach or not I am not sure but I have watched him over the past couple of years since being back at south and I do think he is an excellent choice. lets wait and see what happens. As for kosmider, well how do you think he was feeling last year? he must have been so frustrated doing so much work to get the ball down the court only to have the big guy Kentloose it for them. And lets face it scanlon didn`t realy know how to win a game. If I was Kosmider I would be pretty fed up!

Reply #8097 | Report this post

mum  
Years ago

By the way mole, what are you on about?

"and mums
don't know what there little boy's do "but that's another thread",the truth is out there,"

start a new thread lets hear it

Reply #8098 | Report this post

nufsaid  
Years ago

"you mension kosmider u think his game has improved since then? he needs a major pull in after some of his verbul out/bursts to both ref's and his then coach scanlon?"
so judging by that comment molllllllle we can gather that your a ref! so stick to the umpire subjects and dont get involved with what the real players are talking about!

Reply #8112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are real people too "nufsaid", they have an opinion. Also many refs are also players so I dont see why refs should stick to "ref subjects" and players stick to "player subjects". Maybe players should talk about ref subjects that way they may understand the view from a referee point of view.

"you mension kosmider u think his game has improved since then? he needs a major pull in after some of his verbul out/bursts to both ref's and his then coach scanlon?"

Can someone tell me how the hell that makes him a ref just from that statement??? He may just be a supporter that has seen something and wishes to bring it up in topic.

Nufsaid, grow up and get past the referee/player barrier as there is none, they're both just people who have love for the game and share their views of the game differently while a game is being played. And like said, you'll find the younger referee's still play basketball and the older referee's are past players so they're all just the same people.

Reply #8114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al wasn't asked to put his hat back into the ring as "moles" has suggested,(so if you are going to have something to say DH make it have some facts) but did so as nobody else had picked him up as a coach.
So i guess south are not the only jerks out there that find Al does not have what they are looking for.
Just like to say good luck to Kelly and the south men for season 2005 and if all of them can keep their ego's under control on the court and play a good team game they will finish in the top 5.

Reply #8123 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

yes and you mension a very relivant point there my friend EGO's under control!which we have been saying all along you will need a strong well
disaplained person to control that and we question kellys stats on that compaired to a seasoned well trained background that al come's from,unfortunatly he will not be availing his vast knowleadge of the game to the players of south,we think thats a loss, and with players
like kosi,and now j,b back there not team player's ,unfortunately souths record with coachs over the last 4 seasons is not good so they may have thought to go with the party faithful,a top 5 a good wish see how they develope in the comeing pre-season,

Reply #8143 | Report this post

listen  
Years ago

sorry, Kozzie and Jb not team players? that just proves how ignorant you are mole! Ask anyone who has played or coached with these two indvidual's and they will tell you what great team and club men they are. Just because as you say Kozzie gets fired up at the refs, all of a sudden that makes him a selfish player? Jb is back with some friends so beware the panthers are back!

Reply #8233 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

OK I wanna know how an untried coach (at ABL level) gets the job for three years. The fat controllers up to his old tricks. You cant commit the club to a coach that might not work out. Now before people tell me to go through the right channels at South and voice my oppinion that way, I have spoken to two of the three people responsible for choosing a coach but while Brian Devey is at South it will continue to be a dictatorship. Learn from your mistakes Brian

Reply #8310 | Report this post

I ref Kossie, he does have a few things to say out on the court, but they are always left out there and he is very approachable off the court.

As for being a selfish player I think you will find he won the central ABL assist catergory With 6.5apg.

Reply #8314 | Report this post

Cocky's Tongue  
Years ago

Surely the appointment of Kelly for 3 years shows the club is after some stability. This would let the players know that Kelly is committed to the program. You don't see mant AFL clubs appoint coaches for only 1 year. Hoopin, you don't know as much as you think you do. I doubt you have spoken to the other two decision makers!

Reply #8317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopin thought there was more than 3 people on committee at south, and if only 3 selected Kelly does that mean that south run in reverse to the normal? 3for and 7 against and 1 doesnt get a vote. You idiot!

Reply #8341 | Report this post

The cheese  
Years ago

who cares anyway....its only South.

they'll self destruct as usual.

Reply #8342 | Report this post

Mid Court Screen  
Years ago

South in the top 5.....now thats funny!

Reply #8346 | Report this post

Cocky's Tongue  
Years ago

I was told, for the head coach job process, the 3 interviewing members make a decision on the head coach job to then be taken b4 the whole committee for comment and discussion. I was also told that the decision by the whole committee was unanimous. Get the facts first!

Reply #8375 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

One of the reasons why Kelly would have been a front runner for the South coaching job was the unanimous support that the players gave him. He was definately the players choice. That's not saying that that was the only reason he was chosen as he has been a fantastic club coach for years with the Panthers. Not taking anything away from Al as he's done a great job at the Club as well.
And to say oh well it's only South, obviously you haven't been around basketball to long as South are one of the most dominant clubs in the leagues history and it's only a matter of time that they'll have another flag hanging from their rafters. If you look back not even a decade you'll see that the top three clubs in the nineties were South, Noarlunga and West. Where are those two teams now? Noarlunga had to merge and West finished below South last year. Every Club goes through a rebuilding stage, look at the NBL or the NBA and you'll see what I mean.
And South this year are taking steps to get back into to playoffs and suprise a couple of teams and if everything falls into place don't be suprised if they go all the way.
And who was the numb nuts who said JB and Kos where selfish? Are you serious! Kos has been top three in the golden hands award the last 5 years and won it twice. Selfish??? And JB selfish, I would like to know how?
Go the Panthers!

Reply #8473 | Report this post

jay z  
Years ago

Maybe the benches are more comfortable??? like to see you play, if you can/ which i doubt, seriously

Reply #21605 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

who exactly are you referring to here Jigga?

Reply #21614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754