and the answer is.....

Topic #7458 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

K Free to sign tomorrow morning..

Reply #83875 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

This excites me a lot. IMO K Free is better than Dusty and more exciting to watch.

Looking at our team from last year
PG Maher/Hill
SG Farley/Hill
SF Holmes/Nash
PF Dusty/Oscar/Nash
C Cooper/Rees

Compared to this years lineup
PG Maher/Hill
SG Farley/Copeland/Ng
SF Copeland/Nash/AM
PF K FREE/AM/Nash
C Wheeler/Cooper

IMO the guards this season is so much better than last seasons guards depth wise. The forwards have improved with size by gaining K FREE and Wheeler.

IMO definately top 4 position, and with that team we could make a serious run for the Championship if we stay healthy.

Reply #83876 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Much more depth at guard last season and a very versatile roster. Big improvement at the guard positions over last season.

I don't think the forward rotation is as strong as last season - Majstrovich & Copeland are not as as good as Homles & Forman. Freeman puts up almost the exact same numbers as Dusty, but is obviously far more athletic and versatile.

I also think too many people are wrapped up in the name Brett Wheeler. If it was 2003, then there would be reason to call it a good signing. It isn't a bad signing, but instead of an old Paul Rees we have an old Brett Wheeler. If that is in fact an upgrade then it isn't much of one.

Reply #83880 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

That first sentence was meant to read...Much more depth at guard THAN last season. Not a good way to start a post.

Reply #83881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

After that slow start, I think the Sixers might be the first or one of the first teams to finalise their 2006/07 roster! A decent effort from the club to recover from the three departures you'd have to say. Maybe a bit short of offensive power at the 5, but it's an upgrade on last season.

The biggest challenge is going to be how Smyth gets them their time. You could leave Ng out here and there because he has other priorities until November, but who else? Copeland? Majstrovich hasn't come to Adelaide to warm the bench, Hill would surely look elsewhere for 07/08 if he was cast aside this year, and Nash is too useful to ignore.

Reply #83883 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i would like to think hill minutes will increase this season,

but i have to admit now im feeling excited after the freeman signing thats a huge boost for the side

Reply #83892 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The key now is gonna be whether, Maher, Wheeler, Copeland and Nash can stay fit for the whole season. If we have a good run with very few injuries I think we can give it a good shake.

Reply #83893 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

exactly injury is the key,

Reply #83899 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

A good roster considering all the doom and gloom a few months back. Now, a purchaser who makes good sense and we'll all be happy. Well most anyway.

Re comments re Wheeler above. I think the Wheeler/Cooper combination offers as much as Cooper/Rees combination last season. Do disrespect to the Big Fella of course.

Reply #83907 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Isn't it amazing what a difference signing a player of the calibre of Freeman does to brighten our hopes for the coming season.

Freeman is an absolutely fantastic signing and congrats to all who made it happen as it probably wasn't the easiest negotiation given the uncertainty re ownership.

In Freeman we get a player who not only can flat out play but who is exciting and will bring in crowds. Also do not underestimate the fact that he left the NBL under poor terms as a motivating force for him to come out and dominate.

The main benefit that Freeman will bring is his versatility. While he will probably play mostly PF he has played C at NBL level effectively because of his athleticism and can just as easily play small forward.

I agree with Isaac that the split of minutes will be an issue but I like the balance of our team better than last year.

The X factors are Wheeler and Hill. Rees provided great service to the 36ers and is a club legend but I am confident that Wheeler will be more productive than we think. Hill likewise is capable of big things if he gets to split minutes with Nash at the 3 and some time backing up Maher and Farley.

Farley, Nash and Cooper are all capable of playing much better bball than they played last year as well so we are well placed going into the next season.

Reply #83912 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Hope they are right!!!! Freeman will be a great addition and will also add more excitement to the team!!! i also think we have a better roster than last year as i feel we have improved or atleast stayed level in the Guard spots and improved greatly in the Power forward and centre spot, i feel we have made a down grade in small forward, i would actually like to see Hill starrt in that spot, and if he can improve a little bit again and have a bit of a break out year we may not have lost much at all as nash and majstrovich are both solid enough players who it hikn could average 10pts 8boards if they were to start and will definatly be great back ups!! i think hill would give us a different look in the small forward spot aswell, offer more athleticism and scoring, so im looking forward to seeing this team in action, i think its an upgrade on last seasons team on paper, i think smyth and co deserve some credit for some great recruiting, despite losing some quality players (not all of that was his fault, as $$$ talks)
Go 36ers!!

Reply #83913 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This team is full of dunkers bar Brett Maher

Wheels and Coop traditionally finish strong when the opp arises.

Freeman can throw down

Copes has still got hops even though they will not be 1997 standards

Nashy loves the Liberty , Mastro was in the dunk comp a few years back.

You know Willie loves it and Brad can get it done in the open court, as for Ninj that alley photo in the 'tiser proof that he can get up stairs too.

This could well be the most entertaining team we have seen in the dome for a long time.

Reply #83949 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

I agree with most above, gee a weeks a long time in bball. Yippee

I think there are 2 concerns:-

1. Injuries obviously, and
2. Team harmony.

Latter is more my worry. I agree with Issac re time on court,plus new guys, one with not the best reputation for being a team guy.

But lets hope it all comes together.

Top 4 for sure.

Just need an owner now!!

Reply #83953 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

has Freeman signed yet? Or i should ask... has it been confirmed yet?

Reply #83969 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

No confrimation just yet sixers33. It could be a couple of days before it all approved by the NBL so they can formally announce it.

Reply #83970 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

oh, thanks skip

Reply #83980 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The NBL normally don't take that long to make an approval. It's normally confirmed within 24 hours.

Maher, Wheeler, Nash, Copeland and Majstrovich are all injury prone. In the remote chance that they all decide to go out of action at the same time, you've lost half your team.

All the above aside, everything else looks rosy.

Reply #83998 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Article in the Advertiser today is that the Sixers are 'not rushing the signing of Greer'. As in Ricardo GREER. I thought we were about to sign Freeman?

This is probably why the NBL has rules about clubs announcing signings prematurely?

Reply #84018 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Did the Sixers ever state they were about to sign Kevin Freeman. I never saw the seven report myself. Did they say where they got this info from?

Reply #84021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754