Anonymous
Years ago

Paper says 36ers are not going with Kevin Freeman.

What happened? He must of pulled out at the last minute.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19333504%255E12428,00.html

Topic #7473 | Report this topic

Sixers33  
Years ago

probably a hickup in negotiating with Freeman.

Reply #84016 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The Advertiser this morning says Ricardo Greer is the man they are chasing and we should know early next week.

Mike Daws is quoted saying
"We've decided to give him a couple of days because we dont want him to feel pressured"
"He has to try and work out what is best for him"

Greer is 29 year old forawrd at 195cm and has supposedly been dominating in the Euroleauge.

Reply #84017 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

This does not make any sense.

Channel 7 ran a segment on Freeman being a 36er next season.

Now of course you don't believe everything you see on TV. However, when a major television station runs an article announcing that Freeman has agreed to terms you would expect an immediate response with quotes from Smyth/Daws saying that is not the case.

Even today's article just mentions Greer again and makes no reference whatsoever to Freeman.

You would have thought there would be a quote in there somewhere stating that media reports as to Freeman were incorrect.

I reckon this is just a stalling tactic so that a big announcement is made re Freeman just before ticket sales go out or else story will run out of steam before hand.

More importantly, as good as Greer may be, why in the world would we even contemplate going after another shooting guard? You would have thought with Maher, Farley, Hill, Copeland and Ng we well and truly have that position covered.

Reply #84022 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

If this guy is dominating the Euro League he would be getting paid so why the hell would he take a huge pay cut to come to Adelaide?

Reply #84023 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I have never seen Greer but is he a Guard? The paper says he is a Forward.

Reply #84024 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

More smokescreen?

Reply #84025 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What's the point of a smokescreen now? If Freeman is signed, he's signed. I thought the point of the smokescreen was to deflect interest from other clubs.

If it's to maintain excitement for ticket sales, then that's just stupid. Aren't tickets already on sale?

This is just pissing fans off. By all accounts, everyone was pleased with the Freeman signing. Why now say they are going with Greer?

Reply #84026 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

He is a slashing shooting guard and around 6'5".

Apparently very athletic and a heck of a player so he'd be capable of playing SF at NBL level in much the same way that Hill is.

However, a Majstrovic/Nash combo at the power forward position with a small forward combo of Greer/Hill is pretty small when compared to our main competitors:

Bris: Bradtke, Dusty, Mackinnon
Mel: Anstey, Mottram, Tucker
Syd: Hinder, import, Worthington
Woll: Rampton, Ballinger, Saville
Per: Rogers, Ronaldson, Redhage

If it isn't a smoke screen then Greer must be a heck of a player.

A frontline of Nash, Freeman, Wheeler can compete with the above frontcourts but I don't know if we can with a player the size of Greer.

Reply #84028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"We've decided to give him a couple of days because we don't want him to feel pressurised," Sixers chief executive, Mike Daws, said.
From the online edition of The Advertiser. Pressurised? What about "pressured"?

Freeman is a done deal if you believe Bruce Carter.

Of course, this could all be part of some ruse to out a leak which they were concerned by when Ch7 reported on Darren Ng prior to the NBL/club announcement.

Reply #84029 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

"If it's to maintain excitement for ticket sales, then that's just stupid."

I couldn't agree more Doc. If it is another smokescreen then I don't know what the heck they are thinking.

I am sure you are right Isaac re Freeman.

Reply #84031 | Report this post

RoadRunner  
Years ago

Yes,

Greer is a slashing shooting guard, but he is playing as a forward in his French team because their lineup is so small.

We don't need 6 guards. And the fans wont pay to watch 6 guards. This article is very bad for ticket sales.

Reply #84032 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ticket sales are out? Wouldn't last years seaxon ticket holders get a letter about a thing like that?

Reply #84033 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

According to the website Season Tickets are not on offer yet.

However it does say

Members Tickets for the 2006/07 season will be available from the end of April. Watch this space for more information

Reply #84034 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would imagine that the Sale of the sixers has affected this.

Reply #84035 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anyone want to place a bet on the Advertiser not bothering to do any research and rehashing a story from weeks ago? The article was not by Boti.

Was the Daws quote the same one as used last time Greer's name was mentioned? I think it was a similar quote from memory?!?

Reply #84036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definetly a smoke screen and i think isaas is right they are doing this to cover there arses as ng was reported on the news before he nbl had signed the approval for him, which could cost the club a fine for a reporter leaking the deal

Reply #84037 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

dammit the message above was from me for some stupid reason it keeps logging me out

Reply #84038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't believe that the ticket sales have been launched.

Reply #84039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It must be current coz it is on the nbl website

Reply #84090 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

i think if you read the thing on the NBL.com.au website you will find that they have just copied that from the Advertiser, like they do with most of the news on there.

Reply #84093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754