Isaac
Years ago

Funny Daws: Greer report inaccurate

Just had a call from Mike Daws about this morning's article. The gist of it all is this - the Sixers are not confirming or denying any import rumour and thus the naming of Ricardo Greer is Zac Milbank from The Advertiser jumping the gun.

What is confirmed is that the Sixers have been considering and/or talking with four players for that second import spot (you'd guess Freeman, Greer, Banks and who knows - Horvath or whoever), and that one of them has been given the weekend to make a decision.

So, this is inaccurate:

ADELAIDE will wait until early next week to find out if American forward Ricardo Greer will fill its vacant import position in 2006/07.
While this is accurate in the context of "him" being one of the import options:
"We've decided to give him a couple of days because we don't want him to feel pressurised," Sixers chief executive, Mike Daws, said. "He has to try to work out what is best for him."
Mike wanted to make it clear that there is no smokescreen and that if it appears that way, then perhaps some of that feeling could be coming from various media outlets trying to get the scoop.

Topic #7474 | Report this topic

thomo  
Years ago

well done on the prompt response,

he and the club should be given credit for this,

Reply #84041 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

So Freeman is definitely not signed?

Reply #84042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They cannot really confirm or deny signings until the NBL has approved the contract. I believe that they are fined if they out anything like that.

Now, either the earlier Freeman report from Ch7 was inaccurate (though they were correct re Ng), Greer is the man and the Sixers have had to backtrack from Milbank giving the impression that they've named their man publically. Or Freeman is the man as reported by Ch7 and Milbank heard Daws say they were giving their choice the weekend to decide and assumed it was Greer from the story previously featured in The Advertiser.

All Daws will confirm is that they have a preference and that selection has been given the weekend to make their decision.

My money is on Freeman:

- Channel 7 have been correct before with Ng, but didn't bite on Greer or Banks
- the name has been floating around for months
- he's a known quantity (which Smyth may prefer)
- he fits the roster's needs

We'll have to wait and see.

Reply #84045 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Isaac, did Daws actually use the word "smokescreen"? And what prompted him to call you personally?

I'm assuming he checks and reads Hoops SA, is this correct?

Reply #84047 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I tip my Hat to Mike Daws for actually contacting you personally Issac.
He is genuinely showing that he really does care about the fans by getting things posted up on here as quickly as he has.

Thank You Mike.

Makes me wonder if he has ever posted under an alias tho.... :-)

Reply #84049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I emailed Potsie to ask about the Freeman/Greer confusion, Potsie let Daws know and Daws called me.

Yes, he used the word "smokescreen" because he'd read Stephon's theories about it.

And, yes, he reads Hoops SA when he gets the chance (as do other staff).

Update: Actually, I emailed Potsie to ask. Around about the same time, Daws asked Potsie for my mobile number and found out that I'd emailed to ask what Daws was about to ring and clarify anyway.

Reply #84052 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Great work Isaac.

I agree that Milbank is just assuming it's Greer that has been given the weekend, going on the article a few weeks back.

I've still got my coin on Freeman...and my fingers crossed.

Reply #84053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skip, yeah, Mike Daws was that 'Mike' posted earlier in the week that wouldn't stop posting illegible crap. Just kidding.

Reply #84054 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I like the use of the term 'pressurised'. That would have to be a 'Bushism' in the true sense of the word.

Reply #84055 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Agree it is good to get such a quick reply from Daws.

I'd love to get Milbank's take on this as I question whether he could have really made such a mess of the article as suggested.

I mean it is not that hard is it?

If Freeman has agreed in principle and not yet approved then an Advertiser article confirming such state of affairs could have been written just like the Channel 7 segment. Don't see how that could lead to a fine from the NBL.

Nagy wrote many articles as to the state of Farley's negotiations last season with no fine.

If we are still in discussions with four possible targets with no agreement with any of them then how such info could have been interpreted by Milbank as Greer has been given until early next week to make his decision is beyond me.

Why all the games?

I doubt that Milbank had failed to do his research and hadn't heard of Freeman rumour. I doubt he was told that mystery import has been given more time to make his decision and Milbank went back to Nagy's previous article and merely inserted the name Greer.

If this is the case and the name Greer was not mentioned then this is very poor journalism and I take back my comment made above where I ask "why all the games".

Reply #84056 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Poor journalism in the Advertiser Stephon????? Surely you cant be serious! ;)

Reply #84063 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Surely the Sixers can confirm that a player hasn't been signed? I would have thought only the reverse would attract a fine.

If Channel 7 were to call the Sixers today and ask "Have you signed Freeman.", surely they could confirm if they had not?

Reply #84069 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But if they haven't confirmed anyone and are keeping their options open, they can't really deny those other options, can they?

Reply #84071 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sure, but they could clear up the confusion caused by Ch 7 saying Freeman had signed as Daws did with the confusion the article about Greer caused.

Reply #84073 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

1) congrats mike daws, just fantastic to see the right management of the situation (and club) by contacting this site to keep us informed.

2) THANK YOU ISAAC. without your efforts on this site those of us unable to read the tiser, hear the radio or see the tv would have no idea what is going on. thanks, we appreciate it.

Reply #84086 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think given all the hassles we, as both a basketball community, and an internet community have had with previous management of the club, the leadership and commitment to correct and timely communication shown by Daws is refreshing.

Reply #84124 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

very well put.

Reply #84131 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

2 days ago the news was that Freeman had definitely signed with the Sixers. As I posted previously on another thread about Channel 7 about to announce an import, the approval or disapproval would have come from the NBL within 24 hours if indeed a signed contract was presented to them. When no official announcement was being made, this immediately rang alarm bells. Why all these cat and mouse games. Just be patient everyone and wait for an official announcement. Where does it get everyone to make all this speculation only to be fooled.

Reply #84132 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

give yogee a ball isaac that is a class post

Reply #84136 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

EC - what makes you think what Channel 7 reported came from the 6ers in the first place?

It seems Channel 7 decided to run with an article based on what was heard on SEN in Melbourne. If you actually saw the report, it at no stage referred to any source, nor any comment from the club.

The NBL rules prevent the club from announcing a signing before NBL approval of the contract. The NBL cant stop media outlets from speculation or reporting as a "fact" something that might be sourced from outside the club.

I dont think the 6ers would have come out and denied the signing, because it is pretty well known amongst people in the circles that Freeman is one of the imports being chased. How silly would the club look to say...no we havent signed him, only to announce in the next few days/weeks they have indeed signed him.

Reply #84161 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yogee, I made no suggestion as to where the news came from. I am just saying that if it was actual fact, an official announcement would have been made within 24 hours because the NBL will make a decision within that time.

Reply #84180 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Well accurate or not, whoever had the weekend to accept an offer has surely had to give an answer by now.

What would be the likely timeline to hear about this sort of thing? It they had accepted, say 1-2 days to get clearance from the NBL?

So if we don't hear anything soon, we can assume that the answer was 'no'?

Reply #84460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754