Paul
Years ago

Next Step to get the WORLDS on TV

Hello everyone,

Thankyou for the response so far, it has certainly dispelled the myth that basketball supporters are apathetic.

It is my belief that FIBA TV will resume talks with an Australian free to air television station sometime in the next week. Therefore, the next seven days are vitally important.

If you have not already passed news of this campaign on to as many people as possible, doing so would be of great benefit. Let's keep those emails flowing, so that SBS and the Minister understand the level of passion for basketball in the community.

Phone calls are also very important, so please ask everyone you can to free call 1800 500 727 . Ring again yourself to ask if there has been any progress toward a broadcast, and ask that your disappointment at the current situation be passed on to 'the person who is making this decision.'

The next step for people who have done all this is to appeal to Australia's 'biggest sports fan.' Go to www.pm.gov.au/email.cfm and make your feelings known to John Howard.

Mention that the Australian Boomers are going to be competing, and they are ranked 9th in the world out of 214 countries. Remind him of the Boomers thrilling Commonwealth Games gold medal victory over New Zealand. The PM attended this game and appeared to enjoy it very much. Tell him you don't believe its right that Australians won't get the chance to see the Boomers compete for an even bigger prize.

Most importantly, ask him why Australia's publicly funded multicultural broadcaster is not screening a tournament that will feature 20 countries with immigrant communities in this country, that number over 3.3 million.

John Howard is passionate in his support for Australian sports teams, and is a man who likes things done his way. He could be a very powerful ally. So no matter what you think of his policies, please send him a polite email mentioning the above points, and asking him to investigate.

Once again, thanks for the great response, and please take the time to send this email and ring SBS to find out the latest.
Paul Kennedy.

Topic #7502 | Report this topic

hurley509  
Years ago

wrote this to the PM

Mr Howard

I understand you are a sports fan, I feel you could be a very good ally for my cause... Thousands of Basketball fans across the country have inundated SBS and FOXTEL about possibly broadcasting the FIBA World Championships of Basketball later this year.

There is yet to be confirmation from any channels that this will be shown despite our strong lobying. We are contacted the minister of International Broadcasting and have been told that whilst they are considering showing the event, a deal with FIBA (Basketballs governing body) has yet to be reached.

The World Championships will be a brilliant showcase for the Australian Boomers and will feature our own NBA star Andrew Bogut. This event will show the top 24 Basketball nations in the world compete for the coveted title, with Australia ranked in the top 10... we could very well be the dark horse to take out the event.

Mr Howard, I believe you are a fan of the boomers? You were at the Gold Medal game and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit! Any help you can give our cause to have this event aired on Free to Air and Foxtel would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Jarrad Hurley

Reply #84323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754