hip to tha hop
Years ago

Under 18s men Preview and Predictions

This is my preview of what i think will happen at the under 18s national tournament and who will win the title.

Pool A
ACT
NSW Metro
New Zealand
QLD North
Vic Metro
SA Country
WA Metro

Pool B
TAS
WA Country
NSW Country
NT
Vic Country
QLD South
SA Metro

Pool A

ACT
The boys from ACT are quite a small unit. They will be run the court and play alot pressure defense. If the boys fom the capital want to be successful at nationals they will have to rebound the ball and play great interior defense. With 5 returning bottom age players returning from last year they will be experienced and tough. Ben White will be the main scorer for ACT but will need support in scoring department with loss of star player patrick mills from last year.

NSW Metro
NSW metro have 4 returning player from last years 4th place finish at nationals which is a scarey thought for all. Wetherbee, Conguista, Tomilinson and Duinker will lead from the front along with all australian bottom age player Shane Harris Trunks. The boys from sydney are along with WA Metro the sharp shooters of the country. Although Tomilinson is not a great point guard he has good support and with there front court this team could go very far.

New Zealand
The kiwis are always a very tough a physical team with lots of strength and speed. This year the kiwis have alot more talent than past years and can definantly make an impact against the heavy weights of the competition. With bottom age stars Zach Makivtolgia and Dion Prewster playng this year lookout for the kiwis to pull some big upsets.

QLD North
One of the weaker teams in the comp but you knowing the boys from north they will be hard working and smart. QLD North have always been well coached and when the there is the talent there they can really perform. Unfortuantly this year it is abit lacking with both of the cedar brothers and steven weigh all moving on. Big duncan webbly is a giant and will be a main focus for QLD North and look for him toclean the glass this year

Vic Metro
Its hard to see anyone beating these guys this year. With captain and emu's player Zach Natoli leading his troops around the court they will run the floor hard and excute with deadly precision. The typical victorian smarts have proven in previous years that they can take care of bigger players even with a small squad. Ben healy and Joshua Ashman will be the main focus in the front court for the vic's and bryce arnott and natoli in the backcourt.

SA Country
When i looked at the team list for SA Country i did not see thomas Huxley. IF anyone knows what has happened to him i would love to know. He has been in great form for sturt this year and was very much in contention for an all australian selection this year. There is no doubt that country are the weaker of the SA teams but having said that there blue collar work ethic will carry them far. Even though they are a little bit undersized they can still rebound the ball well and play good d. My only worry about them is getting the scoring done. Without Seebohm and Dodman from last year they will need o find a good one on one scorer and now without huxley its not looking good for the country boys.

WA Metro
Will definantly be the best run and gun team at nationals this year. They play without a concern and shoot the ball without hesitation. These guys will not die wondering and with great shooter like illadias, smith and armour they will definantly be one of the top 5 this year. They are very undersized and will need to amke up for that with great defnse and rebounding. Bottom age superstar Cody ellis and Luke Ford will have to do this and if they can there is no reason why they cant go all the way.

Pool B

Tasmania
They will surprise alot of people this year at nationals. Emu's player Cameron Witt will be one of the best players at nationals this year and can certainly score alot of points. With its 3 best player returning from last year this team is very balanced and have played together alot. They are a good size team and can play good d. There outside shooting is abit of a worry and if they can shoot a decent percentage they will get some big time upsets

WA country
Although they are not a talented group they can definatly play together and play great team defense. Emu's player Cameron Gliddon will lead this team and if he can perform as well as he did last year they will definantly overacheive. They are quite good shooter and push the fast break alot. There are poor interior defenders and struggle on the rebounds.

NSW Country
The boys from the country are without a doubt the most talent squad on paper at nationals. Taylor Goodall, James Quinn, Alex Gynes, Dominque Cooks, Dane Hillman and Brad Simpson are the all star cast from country. If these guys can play together and under pressure they will win nationals but they are still struggling to do this. Taylor Goodall is a force on the inside and they wont be many if any who can sto him once he gets going.

NT
What can i say its NT. They wont do much at nationals just because they dont have the players. They will still try hard and compete with some teams but still probably wont win a game

Vic Country
This years dark horse for the title in my opinion. They have alot of talent in this group and are underestimated by alot of people. They are a very big team and have some great defensive guards and can shoot the ball well. There is no real weakness in this team but having said that they have no real big stength. If they can find something that works for them they will be effective at nationals. Tim Martin and Collier will be there main scorers along with marc goodwin.

QLD South
If Vic Country is one of the most under rated team then sorry to say this guys are the most over rated team. The problem is not on the offense end but the defense for these guys. There is no doubt that they can score but without defense they wont win didly squat. Lookout for bottom age gun brendan teyes. Good scorer and shooter.

SA Metro
The home state and won't they have alot to cheer for if these guys can put together what foundations have been laid. They have a very big squad this year and as well all know you cant teach people how to grow. SA Metro have always been a emtional team and with the home crowd who are intimidating away from home, playing infront of their own crowd will just make them better. My only concern is that harri harvey. Im not sure if he can match it with any of the Vic's or New South Welshmen. Harri is no where near the best guard there but if he can be solid sa metro could make finals.

Predictions
1st - Victoria Metro
2nd - NSW Metro
3rd - Victoria Country
4th - NSW Country
5th - SA Metro
6th - WA Metro
7th - TAS
8th - New Zealand
9th - ACT
10th- QLD South
11th- SA Country
12th- WA country
13th- QLD North
14th- NT

Topic #7529 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huxford chose state volleyball over nationals

Reply #84541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh its huxley not huxford....and youl be suprised how good harry harvey is he just didnt shoot well at the u16 nationals

Reply #84556 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

i think the boys will do us proud, they were selected because they are the best and each player has something to offer

Reply #84559 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

GO SOUTH AUSTRALIA(and country)

Reply #84560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont rate the Vics very highly. not sure what the Coaches were thinking when they picked the squad. i believe there were players who offered far more...i dont rate andy the coach or his sidekick at all and SA will be competitive. WA Metro i rate very highly. Apart from Natoli a lot of players will hang off his magic. The 2 Knox boys you talk about are good solid players but are not the players they were at 16s. Look at how Knox didnt make the Classic and they have the 2 Vic bigs in the side. Work it out.

Reply #84569 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

If you dont rate the Victorians look at last year's side which was much less talented and still won. Healy and Ashman were both reserves last year for the Vic metro squad. I think you guys may end up eating words because they are both full time scholarship holders with Victoria ITC and proved as bottom age 18s that they could play. I dont know the coach personally but i agree the victorian coaches can be very arrogant and stupid sometimes. As for harry harvey you say he didnt shoot well at 16s, when has he shot well? i personally dont see him as a shooter in that SA metro team. He should be distributing the ball and leading the team. If tht isnt his role in the team then thats a shame because he isnt a very good scorer from the little i have seen of him and i prefer him much more as a passer.

Reply #84571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is a very good shooter but he just does it to much and has poor selection...he is starting to shoot alot higher percentages

Reply #84574 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I do not know Harry, but have seen him play. He seems to have some knockers out there, so how about getting off his back and encourage the boys who will represent OUR state. When he played against us in local comp, he sure impressed me, so good luck and show them what we've got

Reply #84579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you cant say harri isnt a shooter when he make 90 threes in 7mins when the average is around 50. I agree with you 'Hangin Round' just get off players cases and wish them luck!!

Reply #84581 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

harri is a gun i play with him and he shot in sydney in a school comp 11 threes in just 1 game! he avergaes about 17 in club as well. i no the nationals are different but he will rise to the situation

Reply #84582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we will see just how good he is in the Classics against some real good defensive teams. i think they can finish 2 in their Pool....I have seen Melbourne get smashed by Darebin and even though they have some state boys Darebin were too quick for them. They should do ok with Nunawading as the rumour is that Natoli may not play. Forestville have some great shooters so this will take them a good way forward in the Tournament. Norwood should also go through.

Reply #84585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry's average in 7 min of 3's is actually about 65. best 3 point shooter in all juniors in sa easily.

Reply #84601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his average is about mid sixties and best is 90. a few of those u16s average around mid 60s and the west shooter regularly gets up about 78-79

Reply #84605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry is a good kid, with a lot of talent, and works very hard.

"hip to tha hop"- If you have seen little of him, how about trying to see a lot of him compared to everyone else and then make a comparison and voice your opinion. In the mean time, these kids are still underage and I suggest people stop talking about the players and instead talk "teams".
After all, basketball is a team sport, and that ideal should still preached to these juniors. You need 5 players on a court that play well TOGETHER to survive, no matter how good each individual is.

Reply #84617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point. He is not the only kid on the FVille roster and this is why they do get beaten because there are another 9 kids on the Team. Good luck in Vic to him and all the other boys.

Reply #84618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harry haters can go back where they came from because the kid is sick

Reply #84639 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

I agree that there is more than one player in a team but we were discussing his individuals talents and how they can help SA metro. I am from victoria so i have only seen him play at melbourne classic and at nationals and yes he may be abel to stroke it back in SA, which will help cause thats were nationals is but i am yet to see him shoot well against the Vics. There are much better shooters out there but harry is a much more compllet player than most. Goodluck to him at nationals

Reply #84640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harry is more then a 3 point shooter. He has great court vision and always finds the open man. I dont know how people can bag him, no guard in south australia at his age even comes close to him. A very talented point guard.

Reply #84642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the girls U18's. I might be wrong but i think that SA Country girls will do alright, they should do better than the metro team anyway.

Reply #84648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we ARE TALKING ABOUT MEN, MAKE A DIFF THREAD K THNX BYE

Reply #84651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no need to be so rude!!!

Reply #84653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you not rate Coach Sherwell ? He has won Vic State Titles, at 18's, won 14's Nationals,
Took a side that had 4 players that had no National experience and won in Perth in 18's completley blowing out WA Metro on their home crt and also out coached Alan Black !!!

If you don't like the Vic's no issues here, but you have to give credit, where credit is due. P.S. Harry Harvey can flat out play !
Roll on Classic and Nationals.

Reply #84667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Luck to SA Country!!

Reply #84967 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754