bully
Years ago

Great Escapes - All Time Best Comebacks

I was just watching the West Coast vs Carlton match where West Coast came back from 44 points down half way through the third quarter and ened up inning by 10 points. This is after last week coming back from 54 points down.
This got me thinking about what some of the greatest basketball come backs are in games or even playoffs series.

Topic #7572 | Report this topic

Tickle  
Years ago

Most of the best comebacks are always put down as chokes by the other team, in basketball though, are they not.

The two that pop into my mind, NBA wise, are LA Lakers coming back from 17 points or so in Game 7 of the Conference Finals to take the series and eventually the championship.

And then you've got TMac's 13-points in 45 seconds to beat San Antonio last year. That was incredible.

Reply #85003 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Two big Lakers comebacks that spring to me mind are :

Game 7 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals against the Blazers. The Lakers came back from being down 15 points in the opening minute of the 4th quarter to win by 5 points. While Shaq & Kobe sealed the game for the Lakers, the comeback was spearheaded mostly by Brian Shaw & Robert Horry.

The second one was the biggest comeback I have personally ever seen (or at least remember) in basketball. The Lakers in the early stages of 2002-03 season came back from 27 points down at the start of the 4th quarter to defeat the Dallas Mavericks by 2 points.

Reply #85012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about that Sixers game where Rose clawed back a 17 point deficit to get the win at the Dome? Can't remember the specifics - anyone else? Nino?

Reply #85019 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

I rememeber that very very well Isaac.

We were up by 18 with 3:50 to go, it all went wrong when Rob Rose hit a banked 3 from the half way line to beat the shot clock.

They just continued to hit shot after shot to our, i think, 2 points.

I remember a lot of the crowd had left thinking the game was in the bag, a rude shock no doubt when they read the paper the next day.

Seem to recall that Phil did not call a time out in the period either.

Reply #85020 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

And in that 3:50 we had not 1 but 2 backcourt violations (too long in the backcourt) and dribbled the ball out of bounds numerous times, too much playing for the call.

Thanks for reminding us Isaac! :-)

Reply #85026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Charles Thomas has 7 turnovers in the last quarter of above mentioned game.

Reply #85033 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Can i say the knock out game against Perth in Perth a few years back.

I think we were down by 25 at 3/4 time and on ethe game to level the series.

Reply #85036 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, there was a game between Victoria Titans (in their first season) and Illawarra Hawks, where the Hawks were down 21 mid 3rd-term, and managed to win in OT... that was a classic win... especially seeing the faces on some of the Titan's players at the end of the game.

Reply #85071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent,
I think we were down 26 at 3/4 time. Greatest comeback with a 1/4 to go in NBL history.

Reply #85081 | Report this post

nudnik  
Years ago

saw melbourne beat the magic, come from 23 (maybe 24) odd down with 2:34 to go - just lit up threes, the magic missed all free throws, and it ends with copes hitting a fade away three on two players to take the W. Best comeback ever. period.

Reply #85100 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Lazarus - first Bishop of Marseilles, died in the second half of the first century and then Jesus brought him back to life. Thats one hell of a comeback!

I didn't see it myself but have heard heaps of people talking about it.

Reply #85188 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kent, the memory of that game is still vivid in my mind. I only followed it by the NBL live scores and then some news footage on it, but everytime I think about it, it still brings tears to my eyes. One of the most emotional quarters I have ever seen. It even beat last night's last 10 minutes of Australia vs Japan in the World Cup.

Reply #85262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for last minute comebacks, nothing goes past tmacs 13 points, absolutly unbelievable. it was rated best clutch shooting on nba.com

Reply #85403 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

How about Reggie Miller V Knicks. Then taunting Spike Lee

Reply #85418 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

booooooooostoooon celtics greatest comeback in playoffs history and nobody talks about it the best fans in the world were going crazy

Reply #133128 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

booooooooostoooon celtics greatest comeback in playoffs history in 2002 vs. the nets at the fleet and nobody talks about it the best fans in the world were going crazy

Reply #133129 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Isaac

I believe it was against the Crocs at the Dome. 2-3 years ago. Up by 17 with a few minutes to go and lost it.

Reply #133130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754