Fezlington
Years ago

Wildcats sack import following positive drug test

Well.....i guess this is the Personal Issues Bailey had to deal with.........Damn shame.....he was a good player for the Cats

The Perth Wildcats have sacked key import David Bailey after he tested positive to cannabis.

The random test was carried out at the end of the last National Basketball League season, however the Wildcats were only notified several weeks ago after Bailey had signed with the club for another year.

Wildcats managing director Andrew Vlahov said Bailey's departure was disappointing, but the club would not tolerate drug use by its players.

If you are going to earn an income from sport and from paying fans, I believe very strongly that there is an obligation coming back the other way that your behaviour and your habits are commensurate with what a role model should be," he said.

The Wildcats are negotiating with two American players, who are currently playing in Europe, to fill the vacancy.

Topic #7580 | Report this topic

Sixers33  
Years ago

Audio-

http://www.nbl.com.au/_content/audio/00000075-source.mp3

Reply #85075 | Report this post

kobe8  
Years ago

Is this that huge a deal? Perhaps a inhouse fine, a warning or something? Wasnt like the results had to be made public. Fans didnt have to find out.

Bailey was a great spark for the Wildcats and a very colourful character too. What he did to Wollongong in the Playoffs was brilliant

Reply #85077 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The AFL really does seem to have the best drug policy of all our National Sporting Leagues.

They arrange couselling at the first offence if the drug is a non performence one such as cannabis, ectasy, coke etc.

We have seen in Rugby Union in the last few weeks Wendel Sailor give a postive test to cocain, which will see him suspended most likely for 2 years, pretty much forcing him into early retirement.

Now this with Bailey.

However, would Baileys visa have anything in it about drug use that could force him to leave the counrty?

Reply #85080 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sacking a player of his calibre seems to be a high price to pay for smoking cannabis. I agree with Kobe8 that it should have been kept quiet and dealt within the club. If it was a habit he could not kick, then the option would be to sack him. If a warning was enough to stop him using this drug, then life goes on with little effect.

Reply #85082 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

He actually seemed like a pretty cool guy too.
A few of the Seals chatted to him after the last game they played here.
We had been giving him heaps all game. A lot of 'Watcha talkin bout Willis' which he said said he has basically been coping for about 10 years now so was fairly use to it. Even gave his head band to young 'speedy'; one the the younger sixer fans.
He seemed quited down to earth though.
I would hope another team may pick him up.
Who is still looking for a quality guard? Sydney maybe?

Reply #85083 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

As a Wildcat fan, i would be disappointed if we sack him to see him in another NBL uniform

He couldve been the next Ricky Grace for Perth

What makes these fools of Athletes want to do stupid things like this?

Reply #85084 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

What makes these fools of Athletes want to do stupid things like this?

Good question. Probably never find an answer though.

Could be from boredom/lonliness. I have no idea what Baileys day to day life was like but apart from his team mates would he have any friends or Family in Perth? I would imagine it would be hard for any import to come out here (pretty much as far from the US as you can get) and not know anybody. Lonliness can lead you to do things you probably wouldnt normally. Dont be to quick to Judge the man.

Vlahov is quoted saying they have a 1 strike policy. Do people think Bailey would have been aware of this? If he was aware, perhaps it was a ploy to get out of his contract, which I believe he still had 1 year remaining on.

Reply #85086 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Cannabis is an illegal drug. End of story.

He was detected having consumed an illegal drug. He was sacked from his job.

A bus driver turns up for work undet the effects of smoking cannbis - would you like to be on that bus? Or driving on the road in front or behind it?

Your doctor had a quick joint before opening you up for some delicate surgery - happy with that?

No, of course you wouldnt. Bailey was probably more than aware of the drug policy, which I am sure would be no different at any other club. He is a professional sportsman, and has an obligation to his club to maintain himself at peak fitness to do his job to the best of his ability. He didn't, so he was sacked. Quite justly.

Reply #85091 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I dont think its been stated that he played any games or even trained while under the influence of the drug Yogee. Nor has do I beieve it has effected his ability. They stated the test was taken late in the season and the man played his best ball at the end of the Season, especially during the playoffs. So comparing him to a driver or a doctor while they are doing their job is pointless.

How long does it take to get back a drug test? It turns out the Wildcats only resigned him 6 weeks ago. They say they got the results 3 days later and took action imedietly. So why is this not revealed for a full month later.

I think there is more to this story.

Reply #85093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball receives funding from the Australian Government and must follow full ASDA policies. If they don't they risk losing funding.

Easy!

Reply #85095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope another team picks him up.

Reply #85097 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yogee, people drink alcohol at the weekends when they attend parties, it doesn't mean they show up for work Monday morning under the influence. Nowhere does it state that Bailey played under the influence of drugs. If he had performed as well as he did under the influence of drugs, then one might argue that a Doctor or a Bus Driver can perform just as well. I am not condoning Drug use, but cannabis is so common these days, the penalties are not that harsh. It may be a crime but then so is speeding. People don't lose their jobs when caught speeding, they just pay a fine and lose some demerit points. They continue to drive a car.

Reply #85104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is simple, I don't understand why people say a player should have counseling (the AFL is way behind the times), the NBL abides by ASADA and WADA. Cannibis is listed as performance enhancing... end of story does not matter if it was cinsumed when he was playing or not, point is it is still in his system

Reply #85106 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

EC - SA has very liberal drug laws in relation to canabis for personal use - meaning it is decrimalised and you can get a fine in the same way you get a speeding ticket. It however is not the case in other states and canabis possesion/use is still a criminal offence. Try having a copper find you with a joint in Qld......lots of fun!

While I agree with other posters that there is possible more to the story - if the Wilcats have made it clear that they have a 1 strike policy as Vlahov has stated, then good on them for standing by their policy and acting on the positive test results

Reply #85113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a cop out from from the big boof vhalov , i am sure he never witnessed or joined in on a little dutchie passing in his wildcat days partying with the likes of Tiny Pinder and JC , big LLongley he always looks wasted .
Geez half of the sixers 86 championship team probably played under the influence and they weren't too bad . We all know the Coach was flying .

Reply #85118 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Anonymous (#85106) is 100% right. Bad luck sunshine, smoke the weed and get caught and sacked, price you pay, you know the rules.

I find it funny that these sports people are chucking away thousands and thousands of dollar and potentially their lively hood for the simple sake for a joint or a line of coke. Dumb.....

Dell has lost around $750k for a night on the goey, and all I can say is 'suck sh*t'.

Over here in the East, the NRL clubs are in strife for booze related incidents. Is it really that hard to stay off the juice for 6 months, behave yourself, don't be a d*ck and collect your $100,000 plus a year at the end?

Reply #85158 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

A lot of money and a lot of spare time are a dangerous combination.

One thesis I read from a sports psychologist spoke about athletes and drugs. He said most elite athletes are told from a youg age how great they are and many are afforded certain exemptions in life just for being talented at sport.

He wrote about the high experienced by performing at an elite level, the rush of winning a game or race, the buzz of adoring fans and cheering crowds, that the only way to experience that off the court/track is drugs. The athlete gets addicted to the natural high of elite performance, but you can't perform like that all the time, so need to replicate it with the unnatural highs of drugs.

Reply #85163 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Get over it folks, think about it carefully...i would rather a canabis user than a regular alcohol user was, a friend..a staff member..a team mate...an elite athelete.

More damage is done by the evils of alcohol than ever will be done by canabis.

I would like to see the holier than thou clubs..stand up and say they will impose 1 strike rules for alcohol use/abuse..instead, they support the manufacturers and dealers. stupid double standards.

Reply #85164 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sorry forgot.... just take a listen to "The Streets".. "the irony of it all"

All should be clear

Reply #85165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello schizophrenia!

Reply #85166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC

whilst cannabis laws in this state for personnel use are fairly liberal - many work places have a zero tolerance policy

Most trucking companies for example have medical tests done before hiring or pre employment checks - they would NOT be hired for any trace of cannabis (which stays in the system for up to 3 mths). Whilst you might say, for truck drivers you might want a zero tolerance. but all employees from cleaners, to office staff were under the same guidelines.

There was also random blood testing - all knew the risks if they wanted to participate in recreational drugs. It could have / would have cost their jobs.

Athletes are under the same guidelines - they are aware that there is drug testing in elite sport. Whilst it might seem harsh. He knew the risks, do the crime pay the time.

Reply #85167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 85167 that is quite a hilarious comparison ( stoned man behind the wheel of truck as to stoned man behind a bball ) as for truckies , sure they may obstain from a bit of weed in the months before being hired , however i would be a tad more concerned with 72 hour stecth of driving they had in front of them with out the use of some uppers .

Reply #85175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was comparing workplace policies
all employees, those driving trucks to those picking up papers are randomly drug tested. All worked under the same zero tolerance policy even if the only thing you were driving was your keyboard.

the comparsion between a truckie and an elite sportsperson in this case there is a zero tolerance of drugs in both instance and in both instances there are random drug tests.

Reply #85179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool , point taken . I was just entertaining myself and making a point that whilst driving a truck under the influence of drugs puts other lives at risk an athlete that may spliff up a little after a game to relax is not really hurting anyone . More laughing at the rules and laws . Am sorry if i offended .

Reply #85182 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

Simple you USE you LOSE

Reply #85186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ss more like , get CAUGHT you LOSE.

Reply #85203 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yogee, what a stupid exaggeration of an example! A typical stereo type response from an idiot!

In your logic then, it is fine for a doctor to get drunk before performing surgery on you then because its Legal?! Happy with that?

If you're questioning his performance then as someone else stated it stays in your system for 3 months, the season starts in more then 3 months! So to use an example indicating that he was doing it during the season is wrong and shows ignorance.

Obviously using it pre-season would hinder his fitness however so would players over indulging in alcohol but you would just turn a blind eye to that because is sociably acceptable?!

I would imagine Bailey would work probably as hard as anyone in his team and to achieve the things he has at his size shows how much dedication he puts in. So to question his performance is unjust. I would be happy for a guy of that talent to play for Adelaide if we required an import point guard.

If there is a strict no drug policy in his contract, then he obviously breached it and deserves to lose his job. but to use outrageous examples is unfair on Bailey!

Reply #85216 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

My point was the fact not being under the influence, and the examples I used were probably poorly taken.

My main point was the fact, as pointed out, cannbis use/posession is illegal in every state apart from SA, where it is purely de criminalised.

Cannbis is recognised as a performance enhancing, and illegal drug. I am sure there was a clause in Baileys contract that states he is to uphold the laws of the land, and also anti-doping rules in place.

He didn't - he paid the penalty.

Reply #85226 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually overheard a phone call to the Wildcats today

Caller asked to speak to David Bailey...the reply....

"Dave's not here maaaaaaaaaaan"

Reply #85230 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

?
?
?

Im Sorry Yogee.

Was that a joke?

?
?
?

Reply #85231 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Anyone over the age of about 25 would get it.

Maybe you need to hire out some old movies skip...look for the old Cheech and Chong movies....gee you could probably get most of them on your iPod (well the albums they released)

Reply #85236 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Actually Skip Ill back Yogee up there....even though its something I normally try and avoid...

but that IMO was worthy of a little basketball!

Reply #85242 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Seen several Cheech and Chong films Yogee.
Still dont find it funny tho. Strange.
Maybe its just you, I dunno.

Oh, also I was born in the Seventies so Im pretty sure ive already celebrated my 25th Birthday. Not sure, I was drunk in some small European country I think at the time. Also never owned an Ipod but would love one if you are offering.

Strange that you would streotype me when you are probably the most stereotype person on this forum.

Reply #85243 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

HA - now thats a comeback!

Reply #85246 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

"When I'm the most sterotype person on the forum"??? Huh?????? I'm guessing a typo has rendered that devoid of any meaning.

I didn't stereotype you at all skip...I worked on an assumption from your original post that you didn't have any clue what the "joke" referred to, and therefore were probably younger than 25, as that seems to be where C&C humour seems to get lost.

I'm sorry if you didnt get my intended humour. Guess thats what makes people indivisuals. They work on different levels of humour and personality. Me, personally, wouldnt resort to personal attacks on an internet forum, once again I guess showing where we differ.

Reply #85249 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im so sorry you feel that you have been attacked.
Its not my intension to attack someone in their what....mid to late 30's?

Too stereotypical yogee??

Reply #85252 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Whats steroetypical about naming my age range?

I'm 36 if you must know. I dont see your point, and quite honestly, I'm sure people have better things to do than read inane banter between us.

Reply #85253 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

And i thought this was a basketball forum...lol

Reply #85258 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that Bailey had been signed to another year's contract. 3 days later it came to the attention of the club that he had used cannabis post season. Doesn't this mean he used it during the time he was NOT under contract. If that is the case, how do the Wildcats get away with pushing their drug policy against someone who is not their employee?

Reply #85259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip and Yogee - relax, you're reading into things.

EC, the test was done late in the previous season, while he WAS under contract, I assume.

Reply #85280 | Report this post

kobe8  
Years ago

Yogee everytime I read a topic that you have posted on there seems to some disagreement take place.

You bore me!

Reply #85285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee is but a bear and bears are not the brightest of creatures in the world . no personal attack yoges just something i read last week .

Reply #85294 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hehehe....i dont know any of the people involved..but..i also read something...

Yogi..is "smarter than the average bear".

aahhhahahahaha, sorry i thought it was funny..or maybe i was high.

Reply #85327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me , me too think it funny , you make me laugh . hoewever even an above average bear is still but a bear .

Reply #85359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754