In the Know
Years ago

Soccer Boom !!

Just watching an article on 10 news regarding the boom of Soccer (surprise surprise), and the fact that clubs are turnning kids away from the sport because of not having the resources to cater for these new kids. I remember the days where all clubs in BB where in the same postion in the mid to late 90s turnning the kids away and only being selective of who we took. Will we ever reach those heights again? Is this creating a market for Basketball to tap into for those kids that are being turnned away from soccer?

Topic #7593 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think more to the point is that these kids showing a new interest in soccer have always been there.

Why is it that sporting associations haven't done a better job of attracting them before?

Reply #85223 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

i think showing the bball world cup on FTA TV would be the first little step needed to start bball getting back to it glory days,that along with australia doing well in the cup. I still can't understand how four years ago when australia wasn't even in the soccer world cup it still managed to get more coverage than bball :S

Reply #85250 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Soccer fever is sweeping the world at the moment. The fever will die down once the World Cup is over. Even the most unsoccer like person like myself is glued to the TV watching Australia play. Soccer is no greater threat to other sports now than it has ever been.

Reply #85254 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I believe Soccer is a far greater threat to our sports than you allude to EC. I don't believe it is at the junior levels as so many young kids play about 2-4 different sports at any given time. However, when they get to the age where they have to make a decision what sport to play, I believe the current hype, the impression that they can maybe play in the biggest sporting event in the world, and the clear, audible vote of approval soccer has had over the past year in Australia (as compared to basketball especially) may push them towards soccer rather than say basketball.

Reply #85304 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

You are right in what you say in the know. I remember those days and it was at a time where channel 10 was showing basketball (as in the NBL and the NBA each had a show of its own). I think we can get back to those days but we have to go back to free to air TV not just FoxTel. That is just the start we also need to do what the South Dragons are doing in going into schools etc and take on the AFL / Soccer at grass roots. It has to be a package with the NBL and ABL clubs. If we are going to get back to those days. Just my thoughts.

Reply #85355 | Report this post

Kafman  
Years ago

BC's on the money. You never see 36ers players being interviewed on channel ten, nine or seven news anymore. Without free to air TV coverage, the interest is lost.

The sport of basketball IS far more interesting to watch than soccer or even AFL - its a spectators game. It should be thriving.

Reply #85433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754