Anonymous
Years ago

Number of Imports per team....

I don't think Imports are always the best player in a team anymore like they were 10-15 years ago.

As the league is starting to grow, maybe we the NBL should allow 3 imports per team. The imports are usually the exciting players to watch and might bring more people back.

I also think that it is stupid not to let players from Singapore play as locals.

Topic #7599 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is that really the case that they are not letting Singaporeans play as locals? That's disappointing. Having a few local players in the league would certainly increase interest in the NBL

Reply #85336 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

having 3 imports per team??? hahaha now that's gold. the salary cap is already stretched to the limit with virtually every club in the league. What should the salary cap be??? Who is going to pay the wages for the 3rd import??? you??? i don't think so. And I was under the impression that the Singapore players would be allowed to play as locals, just like in the case of the Breakers.

Reply #85337 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

I do agree with what you say about Singapore. It is stiil an Australian League and as such sould continue to foster Australian players first. So the 3rd import I do not agree with. However teams from another country I do think that there countries locals should be allowed to play as a local player not an import.

Reply #85338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Singaporeans are being permitted as development players for the Slingers. I don't know that there are any good enough to break into the ten so the issue may be moot, but I might be wrong about their talent. Besides one guy from Japan and a fair few from China, are there other players in Asia likely to be good enough right now?

Reply #85339 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Maybe this guy?

http://www.imdiversity.com/Jobs/articles/cacas_wat_misaka_0299.asp

Reply #85343 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

John Lawrence - New Zealand Players can play for anyone as 'natural' players.. not just NZ.. as NZ and Australian citizens are free to travel to the opposite country..

TheDoctor maybe able to clarify this a little bit more as he has a bit more of legal knowledge than myself

Reply #85362 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

thedoctor has no idea. I know that NZ citizens can live and work in Oz with little or no restrictions, and also access our welfare system.

Don't know whether this is in fact linked to the NBL's ruling on NZ players. Does anyone know if NZ players were unrestricted before the Breakers entered the league?

Reply #85368 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

Mark Dickel with the Defunc-titans... was he an import? they also had d-mac who prob wouldve been naturalised by then, after all he had his 54th bday that year didnt he? Maybe Dusty... maybe Jamaal?

Reply #85371 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dickel was an import that year as that team was stacked with Aussie talent...

Kiwis were classed as imports until the Breakers joined the league.

Asian born players are now also non imports....Yao Ming would not take up and import spot nor would Sean Marks.

As for the Kiwi's accessing our welfare they can but we can not access theirs....fair or what!

Reply #85380 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Would you want to?

Reply #85382 | Report this post

Karch Karai  
Years ago

Not sure if that is correct Kent. My understanding is that Asian players are still classed as imports. In the case of Singapore they are allowed two local players to suit up at home games only (development players and not in the 10) I dont think the same dispensation has been given to the Slingers as has been for the Breakers.

Reply #85384 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Nope sure as that Asian players are not imports, was mentioned by Burton in anticipation of Singapore at the All Star game when discussing Lui Wei.

Reply #85388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Lawrence - Imports are no longer the highest paid players on the team, usually they are 3rd and 4th so in most cases teams would save money.

Reply #85410 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754