DJ
Years ago

NBL Player Values Revealed

NBL reveals player ratings

Im sure this will open up some lengthy debate. Good to see it all out in the open though.

Topic #7656 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this is a great move by the league. As you say DJ, it gives fans another measurement for general discussion or for putting together possible rosters and so on. It also clears the smoke a bit when you have people wondering how the hell Sydney or Melbourne are fitting players within the cap. The notes about deals and explanations are useful too.

Reply #85896 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

I get 46 points for the current team if Copes is a 6 rather than a 3 for loyalty.

That leaves 22 points - 10 points for an import and - a point for Ng (Brad Hill is a 1, so you'd expect Ninja to be the same). So we'd have approx 11 points left over in the points cap.

Management have said we'll be using the full salary cap so are we paying too much for what the league values some of our players at?

Reply #85899 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Actually, just realised Copes gets to transfer his internal rating due to 10 years of service at the Tigers so we may have 14 points remaining.

Reply #85900 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Quite a few Kings players re rated on Appeal!

Reply #85905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, Axel Dench "returning player" - I didn't know anyone had signed him? Derek Moore also. Anything to be read into there?

Reply #85910 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

So why is Slambour still an internal 3? Not loyal?

I know been said many times "what if?" on here, but what if Newley did sign with Sixers, they'd have three 10's with two having an internal of 5.

Looks complicated, but seems pretty fair from what I can see.

Reply #85911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look for Axel Dench to lob in the far north of Queensland with a couple of ex-36er superstars.

Reply #85918 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I love how many rankings of 1 Sydney have managed through long term contracts. Sixers really need to look at signings of at least three years for young prospects.

Reply #85933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we offer a 1 year contract to our younger supperstars just to watch them longer contracts with more pay to other clubs

Reply #85938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Supperstars"

I know I just stuffed and will cop any abuse that is warranted.

Reply #85939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was does internal and external mean? Is it explained anywhere?

Reply #85962 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I'm not an expert, but I assume that internal means those points count only for their current club, but if another club wants that player, the external points matter. Certain exceptions to this rule too.

E.g, Maher stays with Sixers, he's worth 5. If he goes to Dragons, he'll take up 10 points of their total, hence more valuable to Sixers.

Reply #85964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One (external) is the true value that applies to clubs looking to contract that player. The other applies to encourage the development of younger players and loyalty (good for club marketing). The internal rating is only applied to a transfer in the event that the player has been with a single team for a specified duration before moving (e.g., Bradtke and Copeland).

Reply #85975 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The points system should be scrapped altogether. Its too complicated and makes recruiting difficult because there are too many options to consider. Its enough to just have a salary cap to adhere to and a maximum number of imports per team. The rest is up the club to try and negotiate the best they can within the salary cap restraints. Loyalty to a club by a player staying a long time is a decision to be made by that player and should make no difference to their player rating. Simplicity is the best way as it eliminates suspicion that individual clubs are adhering to the rules. It also makes it more difficult to hide non complying activity by clubs.

Reply #85978 | Report this post

Pepper Brooks  
Years ago

Can someone please explain to me why Todd Gower is rated? I was under the impression that his NBL days (at least as far as Adelaide were concerned) were over at the beginning of last season. What's the latest here? Is it simply that the NBL rates all players in anticipation of them being signed or is this a list of those who have?

Reply #86000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The ratings are based on statistical performance during the prior season. Therefore, Todd Gower has a rating.

Reply #86007 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

If Copes & Hoges are rated as loyal & can transfer at a lower rate, wouldn't that also apply to Mahersy?

Reply #86077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754