Bonz
Years ago

Why Newley Pulled Out

I was just listening to an interview with Brad Newley on SEN and he said the reason he pulled out of the NBA draft was he couldn't get a promise from any club.
Brad wanted to be sure he would be picked up in the 1st round, rather than take the risk of not being picked up at all.
He also stated that the Bucks showed the most interest, but he would concerntrate on the coming NBL season and try to secure an NBA contract at next years draft.

Topic #7662 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley said similar on Talking Hoops last night

Reply #86022 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Any chance of him in 36ers colours now?

Reply #86032 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No, townsville colours next year....Doh!

Reply #86036 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I believe Townsville are pretty hyped about him returned and won't be letting him go anytime soon.

Plus, he won't fit into the Sixers A) Points Cap and B) Salary Cap I'd predict.

But, if you see him in Adelaide with his family, feel free to give him some Sixers colours and take a photo if that will make you feel better.

Reply #86037 | Report this post

Pepper Brooks  
Years ago

I think this is a great decision by Newley. The NBA Draft always has been 1st round or nothing in my opinion. It's a little surprising that he is returning to the NBL though, i would have thought a lucrative European contract might have been the preferance. I don't know for sure what his status is though, i guess he would be an import over there making life a bit harder to get a contract.

Regardless, it's great news for the NBL and for the Crocs. Newley will have a pretty big impact on the league this year you would think...?

Reply #86044 | Report this post

anyone one else feel he has made a mistake by not going to college ... seems alot harder to get drafted out of the nbl then it dose college

Reply #86046 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

unless you are Simon Dwight.... ha ha ha

Reply #86050 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

i think newly will is doing the rite thing, and we dont know what hes thinking. im sure down the track he will become a great basketball player so no need to worry. i was speaking to andrew gaze briefly in a 2min convo about it and he agreesthat his time will come.

Reply #86053 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Hanging with the Gazemeister were you brad? Convo in person or in a online chat room?

If an online chat room, be careful in future if you meet a hot, 16yo blonde girl willing to cyber with you........

Reply #86056 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

no it was in person last friday nite, i was at a nunnawaddings stadium having a look around and askes for a signature and then he asked what club im from and said"thats were newleys from"and so on

Reply #86061 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think College was the right option objectively, but who knows what Brad's reasons for deciding not to do that were.

Reply #86080 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

Newly did not have the school grades to get to collage but im sure if he had the opportunity he would have

Reply #86084 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I agree going to college would have helped Newleys game, but in terms of getting drafted in the 1st rd maybe not the best way to go. Newley would then be compared to every other swingman in the college game and every part of his game would be heavily scrutinised. By being a somewhat unknown there is alot more intrigue about him & with a strong showing at the World Champs he can really catch some NBA GM's eyes

Reply #86086 | Report this post

Shaq32  
Years ago

All said and done, if he was good enough, and believed this within himself, he would be in the NBA next season 1st or 2nd round it wouldnt matter.

He obviously feels he needs to work on some things or someone else does. Big expectations of him to ask for a guarantee from a NBA team without having any true NBA type test yet.

Bogut showed his worth at the Olympics and ofcourse college. Newley has a terrible Crocs season to put on his 'current' resume. Not a strong cas IMO

Reply #86097 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Newley wants to play in the league no doubt, but he wants to be on the court. Sure he could have tested his luck and probably would have been drafted in the 2nd round but it would be an uphill battle from there for playing time with any team. If he can get himself in the 1st round then he has a guarenteed contract and a team who wants him on the court for years to come

Reply #86100 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

He's going to get compared to other swingman regardless, and those comparisons will be made after workouts if they don't already know enough about him. I think he has an uphill battle to ever play in the NBA. Sure he is ultra talented but in my opinion not good enough to play against the best in the world at his position

Reply #86117 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

How can anyone make that assessment yet? He has never played against the best at his position, but we should get a good look at him doing just that at the Worlds. I think he has a great opportunity to showcase his worth then.

His natural talent is far and away above anybody else in the NBL at his age. I think he will get his NBA shot, barring any serious injuries in the next 12-18 months.

Reply #86119 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Yep you're prob right the World's will tell us a lot. I was judging my assessment on the NBL games I've seen him play, being about 10. In at least 8 of those games he wasn't even the best player on the floor or really all that close

Reply #86120 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

your right Lockstock, he had a few stand out games in the NBL.... but in my opinion he wasnt really 'above' any other player... other then a select few games.

Reply #86125 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

That's what I was thinking hurley 509. I guess some NBA teams do, however, draft players on development potential, so possibly if they see he can be a player in 2-3 years after drafting him and working on him he might have a chance. I think he might be getting too old for that before too long though

Reply #86126 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree he had some crappy NBL games, but his potential (whatever that means!) is what I think is attractive to NBA teams.

You can get high first round on potential alone (see Darko). In Newley's case, potential may see him squeeze late first round in '08.

Reply #86127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2007 draft will be so much deeper and than this years....if he wants to get picked up in te first round he will have to average 30 pts per game for townsville next season. i dont see the problem with being drafted in the second round because he could prove his worth anyway

Reply #86130 | Report this post

Pepper Brooks  
Years ago

The problem with being a second round draft pick is it means the team that selects you then has "your rights". This restricts you from playing for any other NBA team should you impress them by performing in another league be it the NBA D league or otherwise.

For a player aspiring to make it to the NBA and be a legitimate option for most teams a second round pick is the worst possible scenario imho.

Two examples of this in the past:
Paul Rodgers - Lakers
Ben Pepper - Boston

Reply #86137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rogers is another example - Lakers

Reply #86139 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

Lockstock you were watching an extremely young and talented basketball player play against some of asutralia's best players. Please do not undermine our basketball league by saying that being a good player in it means nothing to NBA scouts and teams. He is young very athletic and if you have a look at how quickly he has improved from under 18s to now there is alot of upside to him. He pulled out of the draft cause he wanted to be a first round pick and he wasnt sure of that, now that he has pulled out please dont start critising him cause i didnt see you doing that before he pulled out

Reply #86140 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

hip to the hop get your facts straight. You'll find I said from the very start (day 1) of everyone knowing that he was entering the draft I said I didn't think he would get drafted. You're also putting words in my mouth, but anyways, IMO if you're not very, very close to the best player in the NBL, unless you are 7ft2 you won't even get a look into an NBA team. I've got absolutely no idea where I said anything of the kind like 'being a good player in the NBL means nothing to NBA scouts and teams'. I'm puzzled

Reply #86142 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754