Sturty6ers
Years ago

NH Australia vs Croatia

Well I don't think I am the only sicko that is watching this game. Croatia lead 1-0 2 minutes in.

Go you aussies.

Topic #7676 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

1-1 39th minute.

Reply #86194 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Croatia 2-1 57th minute.

Reply #86196 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Where oh where is thy Schwarzer!?

EQUALISER 2-2

Reply #86197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope you weren't the only 'sicko' up... hell I didnt even go to bed before the game.

I wonder if they have forums for soccer where we can comment on the standard of referee's like people do on here :P

Reply #86198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was it confirmed that the Croatian guy ended up with three yellow cards before he was sent off?!

Our penalty looked unjustified, but it made up for the lack of call for Viduka.

Reply #86200 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

You're up bright and early Isaac.

He did receive three yellow cards. The last one was a second caution.

Anyway bring on the Italians.....

Reply #86201 | Report this post

Zed Nelic  
Years ago

Kalac sucked hard in goal but he will have to play in the next game because he would be better suited to the Italians from playing in the Serie A comp himself.

He looked nervous as you would be I guess. Lucky that where there is Kewell there is a way.

Does anyone think Ned Zelic has sour grapes after his unwillingness to play for Australia a few years back ?

Reply #86202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring was once again extremely dubious. To me there seems to be a case for two on field refs. One always in front of the play and one always behind rather than just one dude trying to see everything from the middle third of the field. There was a lot of stuff missed like Viduka's early on, the blatant handball (one of the best Aussie rules spoils I've seen) and the three yellow cards that maybe could've been picked up with an extra ref.

Kewell was probably offside which maybe balanced it out but in the end the best team advanced.

Reply #86203 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the non call on the Kewell off-side was justice. Kalac had a shocker, to be honest he wasn't called on to do that much, but what he did do he did poorly. Obviously the 2nd goal was horrendous, the first goal was a great strike but perhaps Schwarter would have set the wall up differently? His fumble on the corner in the first half was terrible too, but the bottom line is that we got through and all will be forgiven and forgetten. He won't see any more action this world cup though.

He was clearly overawed by the sense of occassion, he's a reserve keeper in Serie A, surely Schwartzer was the better option with his position as first keeper in the Premier League, he's played in big games, UEFA Cup final a month or so ago for instance (although he did let 4 past him!!). Oh well, who cares, we're through and that's all that matters, bring on the Iti's!!!!

Reply #86205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just looking at the draw - if we can somehow pull off a victory against Italy we would then face one of Tunisia, France, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine or Korea. None of these teams have been setting the competition alight. We are also in the half that does not include Brazil, Spain, Holland, England or Portugal.

Anyway - Italy first. This will really test how far we have come as a soccer nation.

Reply #86206 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

We cannot play Tunisia or Saudia Arabia, they are flying their asses back home....

Reply #86207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First penalty was there - hand ball. Ref missed a blatant one in the second half also for hand ball. I've looked at replays of the Kewell goal in slow mo and looks like he was off-side initially, returned to being onside before the pass to him.

In the end who cares - we're through. Did anyone else's heartbeat escalate any time Kalac went near the ball?

Reply #86208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #86198

For those of you interested there is a soccer forum page where you can vent your frustration on the world game, from your local masters and amatuer league right up to the world cup.

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/

the moderators there are a little more opened minded that our own isaac....for all the good stuff go the the amatuer league pages where the are no holds barred or punches held back....let me tell you it makes for interesting sideline conversations come sunday afternoons

Reply #86211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG what a game but still confused why Kalac was in the goals? was Schwartzer injured? he is the man, so cool under pressure unlike Kalac.

Reply #86215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturty,

If Tunisia beat Unkraine they go thru. Admittedly Saudi would have to thrash Spain and hope the other game falls their way but they are still also mathematically a chance.

Reply #86217 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think Cahill was clearly fouled and the penalty rightly awarded. The defender grabbed him by the back of the neck and pushed hiim forward, and Cahill may well have gotten to that ball. There could (and would have on other days) been 3 penalties awarded to Australia, but the reason so much is going on in the box is the precedent that has been set in early games. I've always considered Harry Kewell to be the most important cog in the Aussie line up, and I think he confirmed it today

Reply #86220 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

as long as the socceroos advanced to the second round, it didn't matter who was in the goal when the final whistle blew. what a great day to be Australian!!!

Reply #86221 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Some good posts here.

1. Lockstock - first penalty was for handball NOT a foul on Cahill (although he was) And yes we should have had 3. The "rugby" tackle on Viduka early on was a disgrace not to be given.And another handball near the end but it was scrimmage and the ref could have been unsighted. I didn't notice it until they replayed it after the Aussies who were close all started appealing for it.

2. Re Harry - he is important, but not as important to us as Lucas Neil is. He is a dynamo at the back and holds us together. No wonder Barcelona are making enquiries.

On Harry - he is not anywhere near as potent playing through the middle. Always dangerous when wide left and I just cannot work out why the "super coach" has still to work that out.

3. Re Kalac - yes a surprise but 2 things, firstly he is Croatian and just maybe Guss thought that there was a little more motivation. And secondly Croatia has all tournament only looked dangerous with high balls into the box. Kalac is usually better than Schwartzer coming off his line. Not last night though, I really felt sorry for him, I think he'll be watching the rest of the tournament.

I said in another post, that Croatia was THE danger game. I really fancy us against Italy, and as 86206 said we ARE in the right half of the draw.

Fingers crossed.

Reply #86222 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

And coach Guss would have a huge smile on his face with a $850 000 bonus for making the next round.

Reply #86223 | Report this post

Johnno  
Years ago

Great result for Australian Soccer

We had to deal with a disgracefull referee and a shocking keeper. Why Schwarzer who is the main reason we are in Germany is a mystery.

He must play against Italy and with a half fair referee we are a huge chance. A lack of respect is being shown as we are quoted at 6-50.

PS Kalac sits on the bench at Inter Milan so this does not qualify as playing in Serie A

Reply #86225 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Fiji. So right about Lucas Neill, what an awesome defender. Surely would have to be inconsideration for the all tournament team. Losing Emerton for the Italy game is huge though IMO. Without 2 first choice defenders (Popovic, Emerton)everyone again needs to step up to the plate.

Reply #86226 | Report this post

This was on the ninemsn website:

Schwarzer axed for 'past performances': Hiddink
Friday Jun 23 08:45 AEST
Australia coach Guus Hiddink axed first choice goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and it almost cost the Socceroos a place in the second round of the World Cup.

Schwarzer was benched in favour of AC milan reserve Zeljko Kalac who had a nightmare match in the 2-2 draw against Croatia and was at fault for their opponents' second goal which could have knocked them out of the tournament.

"I had to make a choice," said Hiddink who explained that Schwarzer was dropped because of "past performances".

Kalac allowed a speculative 56th-minute drive from Niko Kovac to bounce over him and into the goal.

That gave Croatia a 2-1 lead and one foot in the next round until Harry Kewell levelled for Australia 12 minutes from the end to earn the point they needed to qualify from Group F.

"Kalac learnt quickly that you have to concentrate all the time at this high level," said the coach.

"He committed little mistakes which cost us dear."

Reply #86228 | Report this post

Sacked for past performances??? i think Kalac needs to get sacked for this one.

Reply #86229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Hiddink is playing with Australia.

We should have won that one easily. I hope a real AUssie gets the job when Hiddink heads off to Russia.

All Hiddink has done is reap the glory of Farina. This Soceroos team is far more talented than we ever had.

Reply #86231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice post Frank

Reply #86233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

86233, lowry ur a tool!

Reply #86234 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Without getting too far ahead, but I'm allowed too, I'm a fan, not a player or coach, but if (when?) we beat Italy, I think we'll play either Ukraine or the winner of Korea and Switzerland.

Beyond that, it's either Germany, Sweden, Argentina or Mexico. Win that and we're bloody in a World Cup final. Any one make money on Aussies getting into next round?

Reply #86235 | Report this post

Johnno  
Years ago

Yes I did I will be backing us to beat Italy Centrebet odds currently 6-50 in a 2 horse race

Which games exactly did Schwarzer perform badly in. Did he not keep a clean sheet in the qualifier and save 2 penalties and then have a blinder against Holland???????

Reply #86237 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I can't disagree with the Lucas Neill comment. He has been amazing back there, and despite some edgy moments so has Craig Moore who has found some form of late. I still think Harry is the key going into the knockout stage though. IMO in the last 4 years when Harry has been on his game Australia are a much better team. Definitely needed down the left, and get Brescianno in the middle.

Reply #86241 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I think this photo says it all. Go Socceroos! Great day for Australia.

Reply #86246 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Quotes from Kalac pre-World Cup about being back up keeper to Schwarzer.

"I think he's more worried than I am. He's got somebody on his back now. His form hasn't been the best and he knows it. So now with me coming in to play against Greece, it's not as easy as it was for him when his selection was somewhat automatic. That's not the case any more, and some people feel the pressure when it's like that."

"I don't feel any pressure, I've showed what I can do," said Kalac, when asked after a third day of high intensity training whether he was also feeling the pressure. "All I've ever wanted is equal opportunity and that's what I'm getting now."

Rock to hide under anyone?

Reply #86250 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Stupid comments indeed! I think we all know who feels the pressure in pressure situations now

Reply #86253 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Yep, he sure showed everyone what he could do in a pressure situation. I think he's guaranteed Schwarzer's selection is automatic again.

Reply #86255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon this photo says a bit...

:)

Reply #86256 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

I think we should give Kalac a bit of a break. He only made 2 mistakes, 1 cost us a goal I know and one he came for in the first and didn't get, which nearly did as well.

But surely we all know its THE position where mistakes are punished, and you get made look silly.

Other mistakes get hidden in the flow of the game eg. what about Viduka giving the ball away in the middle of the park because he couldn't pass it 5 yards to Grella, then chasing back the Croation bloke fouling him and its 1 nil after 2 minutes.

Or our best player Lucas Neil completely miss judging a header in the last 3 minutes in the box, and thankfully their striker missing the target.

Kewell missing an open goal against Brazil with no goalkeeper in there. Kewell completely missig the ball against Uruguay, but luckily it fell at Bresciano's feet for the goal that got us there.

Mistakes happen all over the field but the uneducted only remember those made by the goalkeepers.

I think Zelc will now be a spectatorfor the remainder of the tournament, which will spell the end of his career, a high price to pay for a couple of mistakes that field players make all the time but get away with.

And a final point for those who have followed the EPL this year, remember one Mark Schwartzer letting one straight through his arms and between his legs this year for Middlesborogh.

Shit happens, but we are through, stick with positives!!

Reply #86258 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Agree totally Fiji, like blaming basketball player for missing foul shots after the buzzer. What about missed layup in first two minutes from teamate?

I just thought it was funny finding those quotes from him about pressure etc.

Reply #86260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #86262 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Those three photos say

1 - Damn, that guy can jump!
2 - Damn, Aussie chicks are hot
3 - Damn, Croatians have a messed up sense of humour.

Reply #86264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac - where'd DJ's offside thread go? i can't find it!

Reply #86275 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #86279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks isaac - one more NH thread i can't find. The world soccer rankings.

Any help?

Reply #86282 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fiji, the main point is.... Zalac was average at best this morning, making mistakes in a World Cup game, that could have knocked us out of the tournament! You can bag Schwarzer for mistakes in the EPL but the dude has done nothing wrong in lead up games and World Cup fixtures.....Go Mark Schwarzer!

Reply #86283 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

86282, you should be able to find it by using the search in the orange bar near the top of each thread.

Reply #86284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay, i was using the google search tool, but ticking the hoops box/circle. No wonder i couldn't find any of em.

cheers

Reply #86286 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Don't tell me, the Croatian gave her a little prick, she farted and flew out of the stadium.

Reply #86287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone else struggling to keep their eyes open at work today? I agree with DB5, why would you put Zalac in for Schwarzer. As you can see i have an issue with this! I dont care what the reasons are, the fact is it could have cost us the game and denied us all of great celebrations and some of us would be mighty p****ed off at that time of morning if we had lost!

Reply #86288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kalac did a grand impersonation of an inebriated giraffe today , however a pissed zoo animal probably would have stopped that second goal . The guy almost squeezed another in from a simple corner catch and basically looked petrified of the ball at all times , except for the first goal which he didn't even see . Besides that he was grouse .

Reply #86293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you imagine what Tuesday is going to be like at workplaces around Australia? Not only do I not know anyone who won't be staying up for it, but I know no-one who isn't getting drunk while waiting. If they pull off a miracle and win... I'm in Sydney and the CBD was just insane this morning. It took my bus half an hour to get 2kms because of all the people traffic on the road. If they win the next one it will have to be a public holiday.

Reply #86294 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I posted this comment on the Soccer Vs AFL thread earlier.

- AFL goals are like 'kissing' whereas a Soccer goal is like an orgasm. -

Heard on ABC 891 this morning.

Reply #86295 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Johnno, Centrebet is not a charity.

Reply #86296 | Report this post

AUS  
Years ago

You're right, centrebet will be paying out dividends when your mob go down in a crying heap!

Reply #86309 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

AUS don't get your ambitions mixed with your capabilities son.

Reply #86323 | Report this post

AUS  
Years ago

ITA - i reckon we'll see you in Green and Gold on July 1, sport.

Reply #86324 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

I will be wearing blue champ... I still have my Italian shirt from 82. But if Australia win... as punishment i will gladly buy an australian jersey, and you can all point and laugh.

Reply #86337 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Talking about centre bet. What was the last call in the croatia Australia game? He blew the whistle for what appeared to be a penalty whilst the ball was in the net. Either the goal should stand or Australia be awarded a penalty. This period also gave the ref an opportunity to give a 3rd card.

Now if you had put $1000 for Australia to win, do you still want your penalty kick?

As for Kalac, he speaks fluent croatian, does this give him an advantage in the box? Schwarzer saved how many penalties for Mid and Aust in the past year. I think with all games going to penalties in a draw we really only have the Schwarzer choice!

Reply #86377 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

go the socceroos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #86388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go yeah

Reply #86401 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

nice one, if we win against Italy... im buying me a shirt or something, lol.

Reply #86409 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

hurley, read the post again chief, i was pretty clear i thought.

Reply #86428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your shirt from 82? the year you were born! good one, sunshine.

Reply #86451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Australia did very well in 2006 but have they been since Guus left m??

Reply #319961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754