Anonymous
Years ago

Scoring: Parents and Pressure

Recently I was at Morphett Vale and witnessed a game between Southern and South in U18 div 3.
It was a very tight game (ending up with a one point win to Southern), with a couple of techs, heated ego's and painful parents.

There were a few mishpas with the scorers on the bench with stopping the clock with a few seconds remaining in the last minute or so.
The situation was also not helped by other parents screaming and berating at the parents scoring to "get it right" or "I could have done better", then with parents and grandparents coming up to berate the refs after the game, telling them "what they could have done better".

It is in these situations that most parents discover that they are not quite equipped to handling the score clock and go home embarrassed, humiliated and probably wont turn up when they are rostered to score next time.

I know some clubs have some sort of voluntary training regarding scoring, but my question is should it be mandatory for every parent at the start of the season to go through a scoring and or basic umpiring course?

I think the scoring course would be a good idea, it would alleviate a lot of pressure during games and create more volunteers for ABL games, carnivals and any National Championships held in SA.

EV.

Topic #7684 | Report this topic

BC  
Years ago

The worst thing about it was it South parents abusing the South time keeper.

Reply #86290 | Report this post

Shaq32  
Years ago

Perhaps a teaching clinic should be implied. But this is the parents time and money, so perhaps for every parent taking part in the clinic, should be rewarded with a deduction off there kids fees. This is for parents that attend only, that will almost guarntee a high attendance.

Reply #86291 | Report this post

Aloha  
Years ago

a few years ago i know that they did have a few scoring clincs at morphett vale and my parents went and it was very imformative and they should run more of them!!!

Reply #86298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a course held at the dome last monday night, all clubs would have been informed.

Reply #86300 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

the parents who complain should do the scoring or shutup

Reply #86303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was on score bench for a U18 div3 game against Southern earlier this season. Even with the odd mistake made on the bench (by me but quickly identified and corrected) I had nothing but praise for scores, coaches and parents from both teams. It was a classic game played in true basketball spirit (even though my side lost).

Some tips for parents on the bench:
1. Cross check scores and details regularly.
2. Treat the other scores as part of a "team" rather than an opposition. If you work together it is much easier.
3. If you make a mistake communicate with the coaches so that they know why scoreboard changes.

Reply #86320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey, teams get to go to Nationals based on the the fact that their parents do the time clock! This was quite a few years ago.

I think definitely for State Champs or at the least the deciding finals should have indpendent scorers. This also allows parents to watch their children and enjoy the game.

Reply #86329 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

i h8 scoring,but sum1s gotta do it ey

Reply #86341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and where are these scorers comming from?? we cant even fill two refs to a game (sometimes) let-alone a third, or specially trained scorer. i think the training courses would be a good idea even if there was a day set aside and a volunteer from the club to go through some basic skills with the parents during their kids training time slot!! Im sure most clubs could find someone willing to give their time for one day

Reply #86359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a game GET OVER IT

Reply #86371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad please get ieSpell check it would cut down on your mistakes. Or go back to school and learn how to spell.

Reply #86380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754