oracle
Years ago

rule clarification req

1) a double foul is called - the offensive team is on 2 team fouls - but the defensive team has just recorded their 5th team foul.

normally a double foul is play resumes with wherever the ball was at - but if the defensive team has a 5th foul from the double - does the other team go straight to the line?

Topic #7705 | Report this topic

Brian Griffin  
Years ago

Article 45.2.1

"A personal foul shall be charged against each offending player. No free throws shall be awarded."

The next article explains where play resumes, depending on whether or not a basket was made, who had control etc.

Reply #86486 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Brian Griffin,

Question (not nit picking, guenuine question) I downloaded the "FIBA official basketball rules 2004" off the FIBA website and it is article 35.2.1. (exactly as you quoted, different number)

So my question... Is there a newer version that we should go by for all rules (I assume not much if anything will have changed, but it is nice to know)? or was it just a typo?

Reply #86504 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

A change since 2004 - I'm not sure of the technical number of it in the rule book - but you can no longer block a Free Throw - I'm guessing it must have happened somewhere in the world for them to even think up that one!

How quick/tall would you have to be to block a Free Throw!?!

Reply #86510 | Report this post

Brian Griffin  
Years ago

ITA

You are right - Article 35.2.1 is the correct one. (I had looked up my earlier printed rulebook, which is now out of date.) The 2004 rules on the FIBA website are the latest version. There are also a few minor amendments which you can download.

Reply #86512 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

Wilt was blocking free throws in the NBA in his early years ... that is why the NBA changed the shape of the key, from the shape we have to the shape they have now, so he could no longer reach over to get to the ball !

Reply #86521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't the NBA have a different size keyway and 3 point line to us or FIBA regs?

Reply #86522 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

And just to keep you all guessing. Another FIBA rule book is due out this August, will include things like the ammendment to subs and advance the ball up to floor ammendment.

Reply #86556 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

thanks Brian (I have the ammendments too, looked it all up about 6 months ago so wasn't sure, nothing new seems to be on the site since then...) and FM, so mine is current to August, cool might look it up then.

Reply #86565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754