Isaac
Years ago

NH: World Cup, Australia vs Italy

Here's the thread for everyone staying up to watch the game.

Who thinks Australia can win this one?

Who thinks the Italians will be too tough and that the local media has maybe overhyped our chances a little?

Last time I checked, the odds were roughly 1.50 for a win to Italy, 4 for a draw and 5.50 for the Socceroos to win.

Italy are at 8 to win the World Cup while Australia are third-to-last of the remaining teams at 51.

For anyone planning on watching the game in the city, wherever you're going, get there early. I went in at 4:30 AM the other morning and the Alehouse was packed (people watching through the windows even) and I had to head back home to watch the game; apparently Garage and SkyCity were full too. That was for a 4:30AM game against Croatia. Imagine what it might be like for a midnight game against Italy...

Topic #7710 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Guus knocked them off with Korea last time so with a little bit of luck there is no reason we couldnt progress. We are certainly the underdogs though.
I'll be at Adelaide Oval myself.

Come on Aussies!

Reply #86544 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

big deal what the bookies put Australia for winning the match or the cup... virtually every nation was laughing at the thought of us even BEING AT the finals, but here we are, LAUGHING even louder at those who bagged us, but didn't even make it to the 2nd round. GO AUSSIES!!

Reply #86546 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

it is great they used the adelaide oval - but would have footy park been better with a better screen?

or why hasn't the soccer federation got something going at hindmarsh - our soccer flagship - rather than a council getting brownie points?

Reply #86548 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I beleive they have got 2 screens going at Adelaide Oval as well. The main one they use during cricket games and one on loan from the SAJC.
The atmosphere should be electric, just like federation square and circular quay.
Im excited!

Reply #86550 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

why would they use footy park or hindmarsh??? where we gonna find 60000 people 2 fill aami and where would they put the screen at hindmarsh without leaving 2-3000 seats useless because they cant see??

Reply #86551 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I cant see more than 5000 people going myself.
I myself would have thought Elder Park would have done the job.
Definetly somewhere around the city though is the best choice. Where would everyone go after the game if it were at footy park. Dont think residents around the area would be happy with all the car tooting etc that would go on around 3am if it were there.

Reply #86553 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

fair call skip

its going to be bloody cold !

Reply #86554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Dome had a decent screen that woulkd of been a better option.

Warmer anyway.

Reply #86555 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I reckon they will get 15 to 25000.

Reply #86559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the know you are joking are'nt you??? people with children would much rather stay at home were it is alot warmer and cosy

Reply #86560 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

should be a close game but im tippins the socceroos with a 1 - 0 score line either early on in the game or real late- the middle should be a great contest with both teams trying to break through, ITALY almost expect to wal through toi the quarters and that will be thier ultimate downfall, GO AUSTRALIAAAAAAAAAA<<>>>>Ive got around 15 people comin around to my place so it should be great up here with the heater goin

Reply #86567 | Report this post

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

KAISERSCHLAUTEN - YA - DUMBKOFF !

schnell

scheizenhausen

Reply #86569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JL -italy haven't lost in 21 games. kewell and emerton are out. hmm

Reply #86570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, what a crap way to lose a game. Dodgy penalty in the final seconds.

Reply #86572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree - still, Australia never really looked a threat on goal and were just looking for extra time to wear Italy down.

Reply #86573 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

dodgy penalty... I thought it was a dodgy red card too.

VIVA ITALIA!!!!!!!

(never worried)

Reply #86574 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What a b*llsh*t way to end the game. That ref should be disgusted with himself. Hope he has no intention of ever coming to Australia.

Talk about getting screwed.... but we did have our chances.

Reply #86575 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Aboslute bullshit penalty!

Italy's defense was too strong though, if we got them to the penlty shootout then we could've had a big chance...

Gonna be some mass brawls going on in the cities of Australia!

Reply #86576 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Yeah stay out of Crunulla

Reply #86577 | Report this post

Felton Spencer  
Years ago

My Post-Match Review

The final penalty was undoubtedly questionable, but Australia had ample opportunity to win the match. With a one man advantage, I was surprised that Hiddink did not inject another striker such as Kennedy to contest high crosses that were consistently pumped into the box late in the game. The Italian defense was faultless, each time Australia looked to attack, they closed down all options whilst always keeping men behind the ball.

For Australia, the stand out performers in my eyes were Chipperfield and Neill. They provided run from the back and weathered the early barrage of dangerous balls played into the box. As always, Cahill was solid, he has really shown that he is a world class player capable of performing on the world stage.

On the other hand, Viduka turned in another sub-par performance. Bresciano was absolutely horrible, especially during the last play phase. He simply let Grosso waltz into the penalty area, barely making a challenge  he looked like a training cone out there at some stages. Even worse was the fact that he was wrong footed, causing him to lose his balance and hit the turf. At least if he was beaten, Neill would not have had to make such a risky challenge as all he needed to do was slow Grosso down and Bresciano could have doubled down to prevent ant type of scoring opportunity.

The challenge attempted by Neill was in some respects pretty average. A cardinal rule when defending in the 18-yard box is to never make a front on slide tackle. This was an unfortunate way for Neill to end his World Cup campaign as he was Australia's best player for the tournament by far and probably has a shot at making the all-tournament team. I am aware that there was little contact on the play and Neill was stationary when the contact occurred, but he opened the door for Grosso to play for the penalty  something that all strikers in those situations look for. Grosso did as all world class strikers would do and played for the foul, much like Dwayne Wade did throughout the Playoffs. Nevertheless, a disgraceful decision by the referee.

In hindsight, it was a phenomenal effort for Australia to advance as far as they did. Realistically, they faced a very difficult Group stage, facing off with Asian Champions Japan, Euro powerhouse Croatia and of course the World Champion Brazilians. Furthermore, their performance against Italy reinforced the fact that Australia can compete with the very best nations in the world.

However, I can not help but feel as sense of lost opportunity for Australian football and the Socceroos. If Australia defeated Italy, they would face either Ukraine or Switzerland, two very beatable teams. In addition, Kewell and Emerton would be available to provide some much needed run down the left flanks, something that was sorely missed against Italy.

Personally, I am interested as to the Australian public's view of football after this match. Just to think all the hype and anticipation surrounding this tournament fell victim to yet another controversial officiating decision. Australia's World Cup dreams were dashed by one play in the dying seconds. This game underpins the referee's importance to the outcome of a match. Unfortunately, in some matches, the officials can be just as important as some of the players, as was the case tonight. Does anyone think that this match will turn a huge number of potential football followers away? I mean, we can't stand it when an AFL umpire affects the outcome of a match  football is even worse in this respect.

Overall, a heart-wrenching loss but a monumental step for Australian football. We should all be proud of our boys; they outplayed some top opposition and proved countless soccer pundits wrong.

Germany  Brazil Final

Reply #86579 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Socceroos were quite clearly cheated. Sure it was a fantastic achievement to get this far, but their job was far from completed. They were robbed of that opportunity. In the replay, it was quite clear that Neill made no body contact at all. It was a disgraceful call by the referee and an incorrect one, something that the Socceroos have endured throughout this series. In this World Cup, the Australians were the new kids on the block and not welcome. They posed a real threat that had all other nations fearful. They proved that they could mix with the best in the world. Unfortunately, the Australians will be remembered for their achievement, but nothing will be more clear in everyone's minds than the disgusting way they were kicked out of the competition.

Reply #86580 | Report this post

Years ago

I had a feeling that some bullshit like this would end it all eventually. I thought it had happened with that first goal Japan scored against us. Unfortunately this is a much crueler blow.

I was really hoping for Australia to win, but if we lost, I'd rather it have been in the general run of play than like this. Now we're gonna be hearing about how we were "robbed" for the next four years. While all that might be true, it'll make us look like we're giving excuses and overhype our 2010 team's chances (assuming we get through Asian qualifying) and they might go in with an inflated sense of their own worth. Hopefully they still keep the underdog mentality and don't stay satisfied with this. As the late Ted Whitten Senior, Victorian selector and AFL great, once said after a 1993 State of Origin loss to South Australia "No Excuses, no excuses"

Mark Viduka seemed like he for one isn't going to stay satisfied, judging by the post-match interview. He was dying to verbally lay into the ref, it was written all over his face. Even though Ned Zelic talked him up in the post-game wrap, I personally thought Viduka had a pretty ordinary tournament. Maybe I don't know enough about soccer, but that's just my view.

Unfortunately a lot of the Australian players will most likely not be playing, or in the severe twilight of their careers by 2010. 13 of the current 23 man squad will be 32 or over by then, so hopefully we have some good youngsters coming through.

One to look out for by 2010 is Kaz Patafta. He'll be 18 years old this October. He was a recent AIS scholarship holder, and while the A-League squads ignored him, PSV Eindhoven showed interest, at the recommendation of Guss Hiddink. He's now at the Portugese club Benfica. He debuted for their B team in January this year.

In all, a great effort by the Socceroos, and an unfortunate way for it to end. Bring on South Africa 2010!

Reply #86581 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me how many were at Adelaide oval?

Reply #86593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the Know, 9,000 supposedly.

We had countless chances to to set up big opportunities but consistently coughed it up - the same thing happened in the two previous games. IMO, our best chances tend to come from corners.

We had no one leading like Toni was for Italy to put himself in a winning position. One of Schwarzer's saves (the one that bounced off his leg) was very, very lucky.

Didn't really notice Viduka do much at all. Chipperfield had some great moments - a brilliant block early on, and then a good offensive play later.

As much as he looks like he'd be a bit of a wanker, Aloisi always seems to inject a bit of drive in the final few minutes and I agree with whoever suggested that Kennedy could've been put on late in the game with him.

Reply #86595 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It must of been freezing at Adelaide Oval at Midnight.

Reply #86597 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

We did have many chances and unfortunately did not make the best use of them, however, the game was not lost until the final seconds after the controversial and inaccurate call by the referee. The referee decided the game not the Australian nor the Italian teams.

Reply #86600 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I thought about 10000 people were at Adelaide Oval last night. The paper today says 9000 so I wasnt far off. Was a great atmosphere.

Reply #86602 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I didn't think the atmosphere was that great, it was too cold for anyone to cheer.

Reply #86608 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Congratulations Australia, a stunning achievement to make it so far, The penalty had to be given.

Has there ever been a player who has missed part or all of the biggest matches in the world..the way Kewel has..
Champions league final..injured
FA Cup final............injured
2nd round World Cup ....injured,

I have serious questions to his body and commitment.

Lucas Neill a great campaign, Aloisi, done well limited time, Tim Cahill good, Schwarzer...excellent..the others achieved well.

Reply #86611 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think the Schwarzer save was a great save with not even an ounce of luck. Keepers guess wrong and stick out their foot all the time to make saves, and Schwarzer did it perfectly. As for Harry's commitment, are you kidding me? Sure have a go at his ailing body and his injury prone ways, but don't question his commitment - the man has done more for the Socceroos in the last 8 years than anyone bar maybe Sir Guus. We wouldn't even be having this discussion (in all likelihood) re Italy/2nd round if he hadn't risked injury to provide a deft touch to strike in an equalizer with his wrong boot. The man is a hero in my eyes

Reply #86614 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, don't hate, Congratulate.

Reply #86617 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

Anyone know the reason Ned Zelic isnt married?

Everytime he has a girlfriend he drops them...

Reply #86619 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

boost, you've answered your own question. "Everytime he has a girlfriend he drops them..." This would suggest a perfect reason as to why he is not married.

Reply #86625 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

'Me' posted a great response back up there... Harry is a soft mofo, as all soccer players, wouldnt you play it out if you can win a game for your country? hell if NBA players could play with broken feet and ribs and hands like i believe Frazier did in playoffs back in the day why not soccer players with a sore groin, and we know he could walk, so why the crutches? schwarzer nearly had that save aswell at end, he read it perfectly, just a step to slow, great work though. aus should have won, they played better and showed more hunger. italy needed to take a dive to get a win. and as for saying aus should be happy, no we shouldnt, we shouldnt be happy till we win.

Reply #86641 | Report this post

Johnno  
Years ago

Ricey Harry is not soft. He does cop a lot of injuries but believe me if he could have played he would have. He pushed his body to the limit against Croatia and couldnt back up but helped us get to the Round of 16.

We were robbed that was not a penalty and I am sure we would have got on top in extra time as we still had 2 subs left and would have brought on an extra striker.

No keeper in the world could have saved that penalty it was perfect But Scwarzer made some other great saves to keep us in the game and proved he should have played last game.

The boys did us proud but it leaves a bitter taste to lose like that especially since I think we would have pumped the Ukraine as Italy will.

Brazil will beat Argentina in the final.

Reply #86644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Italy took a dive to get a win" Lucas Neil didn't do much wrong the entire tournament but he did need to stay on his feet. If he hadn't been on the ground, the guy couldn't have faked the dive.

Think that Italy were the better side on the day. They managed to keep Australia scoreless despite being one man down.

Their attacking moves although not successful till the final 8secs at least looked like going in. Aust might have controlled the ball for long periods of time but realistically never looked threatening.

They made the final 16 and many did not predict them to be that successful.

Bring on Wimbledon then the Ashes - Australia is out, and although the world cup continues it will now only be a passing interest.

Reply #86645 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Ricey Kewell's injury this morning had nothing to do with his groin. And even if it did (which it absolutely didn't) you've obviously never tried to play with an injured groin, you're no chance in social basketball let alone the round of 16 in the world cup of football. The only groin injury I'm guessing you've ever had was to your wrist

Reply #86647 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Wasn't Harry's injury gout???

I'm no medical expert, but I've always associated gout with people that drink to much. Obviously in Harry's case the booze didn't contribute to the gout.

Can anyone give insight as to what gout is (bar a form of arthritis)and in elite sportspeople how one gets gout.

Reply #86651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

www.news.com.au explained that it can be as the result of a rare form of arthritis and can be triggered by something as simple as red meat.

Reply #86654 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I just 'wiki-ed' gout and someone has already added in the text that it caused Harry to miss the game....

Sounds like a pretty painful issue, especially in the ankle. No wonder the lad needed crutches.

Reply #86655 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Lockstock - you are either related to Harry or just have no idea.

"As for Harry's commitment, are you kidding me? Sure have a go at his ailing body and his injury prone ways, but don't question his commitment - the man has done more for the Socceroos in the last 8 years than anyone bar maybe Sir Guus."

Great player that he is, anyone close to the game over the last 8 years will tell you a very different story.

Has always picked his games and often position to play as well, with little or no regard for the squad.

Even the mighty Guus played him more often than not in the middle or behind the front two. NOT where he should always play and in fact where he has made a name for himself and played his best football....i.e. wide on the left.

Wonder why?

Still its been a great few weeks for football in this country and like so many I'm very proud of their achievments.

No doubt if we had got past Italy we would have won the next one ......... then who knows?

Reply #86667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point, maybe harry can make the trip from the UK to such powerhouse nations as the Solomon Islands to help us winn by about a thousand goals. we really need him there.

Reply #86719 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Harry's my hero when it comes to Soccer. I judge my views on what I see not what I hear (from the press)

Reply #86726 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Italy 1-0 up after 6 mins... bring on Germany

Reply #87015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754