Parent
Years ago

Girls Height - Fact or Fiction?

Is this a fact or is it fiction&&I have a daughter who is quiet tall. She had X-rays on her back and mouth (Braces) with both Doctors concurring that her height when she finishes growing around 18, will be around 6'2". This is a great outcome for her as she loves playing basketball and wants to go as far as possible.
The many coaches I have spoken to state that girls who will be especially tall take longer to develop and have to be given time. I must admit she does seem at times to be less coordinated than the smaller girls but is this natural? As a parent I feel a little frustrated for her as the smaller girls seem to have it all together. It disappoints her greatly as her body doesn't seem to want to work as the brain wants. She feels less fortunate than the smaller ones. People generally expect more from her.

My question: Is this true and generally speaking does it change when she reaches 18ish? I need facts not opinions. I want to give her the truth and not fill her head with fiction.

Topic #7732 | Report this topic

Tracey B  
Years ago

Yes Yes Yes, it is a factor... I was told by Pat Hunt at the age of 14 that i would not start to get my game all together untill i was at least 26, 27. I turned 27 this year, and think that i have just started to get my game together now (as a player).

please let me know what club she plays for, i would love to keep an eye out for her, and if i can offer any advise, we need to keep girls in this game...not netball!!!

Tracey B

Reply #86766 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

I think you may need to relax a little. How old is your daughter?

After a quick search I failed to find much related specifically on your needs, however I came across one study (Loko, Aule, Sikkut, & Stamm, 2001) that tested boys and girls aged 8-11 (dividing into 3 height groups) for running speed, explosive strength, power, coordination, and anaerobic endurance. Annual differences were found in all groups; however improvements in tall medium and short groups were similar. In other words height is not necessarily a determinant for coordination.

Have you considered individual differences (Schmidt & Wriseberg, 2000), i.e. some kids will develop motor skills (coordination) quicker than others full stop, no height just individual differences.

General observations may tell you that yes a lot of "bigs" we coach struggle with some stuff, however is this because they are big or a function of the environment? Consider this, generally if a kid is big they are recruited even though they have not had crucial early teaching, this may be why the child is "behind" they are starting later. Secondly generally we ask different things of our bigs (if she is an older junior) and this may contribute to what she can and can't do, as she again has not had the same training.

Lastly height has been shown to be a key determinant for success in many sports (Norton, Olds, Olive, & Craig, 2004). Basketball is an open upper end optimisation sport, i.e. larger athletes have an advantage.

Values from Australian elite basketball athletes (DASET, 1992) indicate the following heights for females shown as:

Average height ± Standard deviation (Australian percentile)
General population 164.8 ± 8.50
Centres 189.8 ± 6.40 (9.2)
Forwards 185.0 ± 7.80 (21.0)
Guards 171.9 ± 6.10 (60.9)

Now given that secular trends in Australia are about two cm per decade (Source eludes me), i.e. the average height is increasing by this margin. This means your daughter is a good height of an average forward at the elite level.

In summary training will be more important than her actual height, although in general for basketball tall is good.

On a more personal note relax and let your daughter have fun rather than try to "fill her head" with anything. Yes she can train hard and try and be her best too, but make sure she enjoys it. If you really are a parent with this situation and are reading any of my post, I hope it was this last point.

Reply #86773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd take tracey's advice, she should know

Reply #86776 | Report this post

parent  
Years ago

Thanks to you all for your advice. I try not to read too much into this but you hear many stories and opinions. Its difficult to find what is fact or fiction. I like many parents wish the best for our children. I do relax but seen her frustation. She does work hard and I know that if she stays on track and doesnt deviate then well and good. She has just turned 15 so I guess we have time. Its nice to receive positive posts instead of some of the crap you read.
Tracy B thanks.....I dont really want to say who she plays for if thats ok.....ITA Thanks for your time....

Reply #86834 | Report this post

Tracey B  
Years ago

I would like to contact her, and tell her my story, i can leave my details with Issac and maybe he can pass them on, only if you and her are interested.

Reply #86841 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

wow Tracey that is so nice of you...I think I know who you are? Canberra last year?

Can I please get back to you on this as I know she would love it but I need to talk to her first. She'd kill me to know that I have done this. As I said I'm a parent just wanting the best for my kid...She has other basketball issues as well, Please keep a breast of this post and let me get back to you...thanks you so so much..now I just need to talk to her and break it gently what I have done...

Reply #86862 | Report this post

Tracey B  
Years ago

not a prob, you really haven't done much, i would love to talk to an up and coming centre (by the sounds of it) and let her know that things take a little time!!!

Reply #86866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not recruiting are we Tracey?

Reply #86902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tracey, do you have any advice for girls that are around the 6ft mark and a bit over and not likely to get much taller. At the junior age they are tall and always plAY the centre position but should they be playing more in the forward position as they are not likely to get far playing in the centre position as they arent tall enough?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Reply #86917 | Report this post

Tracey B  
Years ago

get ball handeling skills now, because if you stop growing, you will need them. i was lucky i kept growing, and growing!! not t big part of a centres game. Keep agile, adn the normal, work hard, ask to play 3,4,5 spots, as that will get you use to the woutside game too. hope that helped

Reply #86918 | Report this post

Tracey B  
Years ago

oh and on the recruiting thing...no, just genuinely interested!!! not to may BIGS around

Reply #86919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your help! much appreciated.

Reply #86922 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Damn it!!! - something positive related to Southern! Who woulda thunk it!

Top stuff Tracey! ;)

Reply #88602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754