skip
Years ago

Sixers Sale - Down to Three

Hooray Boti is Back Writing.

In the Adevertiser today writes that there are belived to be 3 solid Bidders to buy the license. Those being MVP Sports, Peregrine Corporation and Mark & Vanessa Lewis (Son & Daughter of the Late Bernie)
A desision is expected within days to accomodate ratification at an NBL Board Meeting on Friday.

MVP Sports are also interested in the Dome.

The Adelaide Lightning are belived to have 2 bidders and there is one specifically for the Dome from a church group. (You would think Paradise)

So we could know as early as Friday then?

Topic #7791 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm torn. I'm partial to the Lewis family due to their great connection and support for the club, but MVP seem very energised and willing to change things.

Reply #87265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP for MVP

Really very lame laughs right there.

Reply #87273 | Report this post

Apu  
Years ago

Peregrine/Shahins have big bucks. Smokemart is no longer their core business. Everything they touch turns to gold and they are a great SA family. I hope they get it. They would be great for basketball and ensure the 6ers is run as a professional/accountable business. These other people "that love the sport" are great fans and supporters but I think the shahins have deep pockets, nationally renowned business people, know how to run a business on a large scale and the fact they are not basketball people will ensure no 2nd agendas and seperation of responsibility from the ownership and management group.

I cant see this seperation occuring with the other parties.

Reply #87275 | Report this post

Randy Watson  
Years ago

The best thing is that all 3 bidders have all been Sixers fans for years.

I'm sure the 3 bidders will push the Sixers in the right direction and inject the funds needed to get the crowds back to the Dome!

Reply #87276 | Report this post

Apu  
Years ago

I would love to see Peregrine owning the show and the people from mvp having roles in it, but NOT owning it!

Reply #87277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the church group is the assembly of god, can you imagine if they get it, no more basketball at the dome, aarrrgghhh dont let it happen,

Reply #87283 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The other church group who may be interested in the Dome would be Southside / Edge Church, who have major congregations at Reynella and also in the old Investigator Science Centre at the Showgrounds.

Reply #87284 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Would make for interesting times if Peregrine Corporation bought it - because it sounds like they aren't interested in the dome - would they play games at the big BP On the Run at West Tce???

Or if they did buy the Dome, it'd be lined with Peregrine brands, like Hot Chooks, C Coffee, Wok in a Box, Subway and Brumby's, and you could have your car washed and refuelled while you watch a game.

Definitely could be interesting at the Dome with Peregrine.

Reply #87287 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Logging on in downtown Gunnedah, NSW ..... the church group is Paradise Assembly of God. Is interesting to hear the news of the sale (over hear, you're lucky to hear about the AFL, let alone anything basketball - though there was an article on the weekend about a falling out between CJ Bruton and Brian Goorjian).

Of note, all three owners would have distinctively (excuse the pun) different plans. Keep posting folks - it's the only way we travellers keep up-to-date!

Reply #87291 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I like Kevs idea.

Reply #87303 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The players would be running around court with a packet of winny blues on their shoulder under their uniform!!!

Reply #87311 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

might as well deck em out in stubbies and a blue bonds singlet as well then...

Reply #87315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And beer can holder hats from the Gift Box!

Reply #87316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could have beer hat night at the DOME

Reply #87331 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

So instead of the Adelaide Fellas, would they become the Adelaide Gift Boxes! (So many lines! only if you have a dirty mind, lucky my thoughts are pure.)

Reply #87338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely the NBL want a company that made their money from selling smokes to buy the team.

Reply #87407 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I see that Mark Lewis was saying he has big shoes to fill if he was to get the 36ers due to his Dad Bernie.

Truth is Bernie stuffed a lot of things up while in charge of the 36ers and is a big reason why they are where they are now. many past players (one that still plays and is still owed money from years ago) and many others with BASA know about these problems but they have been kept in house.

May he rest in peace but truth is he screwed the club up good and proper.

Reply #87408 | Report this post

boxed in  
Years ago

The Adelaide Gift Box Lightning - nice ring to it.

Reply #87421 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Or Adelaide Gift Box, Fellas ;)

Sorry nutwork, my thoughts aren't so pure anymore.

Reply #87424 | Report this post

Axe man  
Years ago

Go the Peregrine bid. As has been said already, these people have deep pockets & are used to making their buisnesses work.

The other bidders seem fine ; however basketball in this state may be better off with an owner focused on making money, not just having a love of basketball.

BASA is full of people who love basketball (true, I wouldnt fib ya)yet look where it got us. The best way for the organisation to make money is to have its teams win. This will fill the "smoke house" to the rafters and get the sport back to were it was.

Drive in to a smoke mart to pick up your tickets for the game.... interesting. We could also get a Subway or a Wok in a box into the dome instead of the cardboard that is currently passing for food at the joint.

Reply #87474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Axe Man,

Losing $500,000 a year can only go on for so long, and if they don't love they game they will cut back on stuff and we will be in a worse position.

There is no doubt that a lot of people will stop going to the basketball when there is a private owner as I know many people who have only continued to go to support BASA.

Reply #87492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#87492)
pardon?

over the past few years my season tickets have been used by the couple sitting next to us, for their daughter and son in law.

coming up to the new season I decided to take back my tickets (plus said daughter had a new baby) when discussing the upcoming season with these people, when they rang to discuss arrangements for the tickets they were totally oblivious to current events. They knew by news paper reports and tv news reports that the sixers etc were for sale.

But they had no conception on what was happening in the world of basketball. They these four just went to the sixers cause they enjoyed the atmosphere. BASA to them was a foreign language. They assumed that the sixers would be sold, the dome would remain the same and their tickets would always be available in the same spot they had since the CPH had opened.

Supporting the sixers and supporting BASA doesn't equate if you were supporting BASA you'd go to more div 1, div 2, div 3 and junior games and champship tournaments.

Reply #87493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I know of a lot of people who will now just pick and choose a few games rather then a season ticket.

I guess that is what I was getting at.

Reply #87500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

87407, that comment is laughable. Do you think the NBL care about a business that was built on a perfectly legal money making avenue.

They now own healthy subway stores so do you think the nbl is more likely to accept their bid because of that. LOL!! That was the post of the yr.

Reply #87507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I support BASA by paying admission to watch my kids play every week!

Reply #87512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 87507

That person is right, that will be an issue as they continue to make their money off selling smokes. I big no no, especially with Quit looking to get involved with the womens team again.

Maybe Smokemart can give $1 back from every 36er ticket sold to the lung cancer assoc.

Reply #87515 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

a lot of sixers fans couldn't care less about BASA. many that do would've already dropped off with the meme that the sixers were hampering local hoops.

the idea of selling tickets at service stations and wok in the box and so on is a big advantage for peregrine, and wouldn't hurt the food in the dome either!

Reply #87525 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

if peregrine didn't own smoke mart then they would be great but as anon said that it would be a disadvantage because Quit wouldn't sponsor the Lightning (assuming they buy the womens team)

but hey...

wok in a box, Subway... they have there advantages

Reply #87553 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I wouldn't be suprised if Peregrine, with their contacts being the SA Master Franchisor for Subway, Wok in a Box and Brumby's would be able to pull something like a Subway sponsorship for the Lightning. eg the Subway Lightning.

And I don't think Quit would have anything against sponsoring the Lightning, even if they were owned by Peregrine.

Reply #87614 | Report this post

Axe man  
Years ago

In reply to (#87492); a couple of points.

The only thing the new owners have to love is hard work and I think the peregrine bidders definatly fall into that category.The new owner who ever it may be will not be taking on the franchise to lose money. Some tough decisions will be made; these are the decisions that BASA could not make, thus the huge losses. If we had continued along the BASA path the 6ers would have folded before the up coming season.

Your BASA comment does not make sense to me. I support my kids district club & the 6ers. The fact that BASA may have somthing to do with ownership or the administration of these 2 entities does not even come into my thought process when making decisions on either 2. If I had a choice to give money to my club or BASA direct it would go to my club every time only for the fact that BASA's track record is now out in the open for all to see.I have never even heard of people sitting in the dome watching the 6ers just to support BASA.

Dont be scared of what the new owners will do. The fact that we will have new owners will ensure NBL is played in Adelaide for a few more seasons to come. We can thank BASA for getting us this far. Now that BASA does not have to worry about running the 6ers, prehaps they could put their energies into....say coming up with a state champ draw for next year that at least looks to be fair to all teams.

Reply #87751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754