DB5
Years ago

Bulls Still Shopping? After Garnett?

As part of the deal, the Bulls are believed to have promised to continue their pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves star forward Kevin Garnett, who could be the final piece to the championship puzzle.

Wallace had said he would leave the Pistons only if another contender exceeded their contract offer. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year can't be expected to turn the Bulls into a serious championship threat by himself. He averaged 11.3 rebounds, 7.3 points and 2.2 blocked shots in 82 games last season.

The Daily Southtown reported last week that the Bulls were among several teams that inquired about Garnett prior to the NBA draft. Timberwolves operations chief Kevin McHale made it known that Garnett was not available.

The Bulls believe they can revive the talks if they sweeten their offer of center Tyson Chandler and forward Luol Deng with recent first-round draft pick Tyrus Thomas, whom the Timberwolves are known to covet.

A nucleus of Garnett, Wallace and Andres Nocioni on the front line coupled with Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich in the backcourt would immediately turn the Bulls into a legitimate championship contender.

Just read this post thoughts anyone? Being a Bulls fan I reckon it is great news....if it happens...

Topic #7813 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ohhhh that is huge news! if minnesota wanted to start fresh and develop a young, talented squad and garnett isnt happy their and is after a title it may work out for both. I think tyrus thomas will develop to be a superstar and tyson chandler just needs to learn more about the game as he is also an athletic freak. Randy foye and Tyrus Thomas i believe are the two best players in the draft. Randy Foye has gone underrated and if anyone has seen his game he is a true talent. A player that drives strong to the basket, had a good mid-range game and a player who always wants the ball in his hands to make those game deciding shots. I believe he will got Rookie of the Year as a big surprise just like CP3 did.

Reply #87579 | Report this post

thats the shit.... thats awesome..... unstopable.... if they end up getting GARNET the NBA wont be a conpetition for the CHICAGO BULLS anymore....
PS: Italia are gonna win the world cup ... portugul and france have no chance.... cheers wiz

Reply #87581 | Report this post

...but then you don't have a bench. Best to keep Tyrus and maybe trade next years first round pick?

Reply #87603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will still have othella harrington and mike sweetney who i believe can put up decent enough numbers off the bench when get playing time. Also the bulls have the option to swap the first round pick in the 2008 NBA draft with the joke of the year NY Knicks. Probably another pick to Chicago in the top 5 considering the Knicks will not improve much from last season. This will enable them to get another young big guy who will also provide more upcoming talent and depth to their bench.

Reply #87624 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ELG, don't forget Malik Allen,Harrington,Chris Duhon,Mike Sweetney, Songalia and LUUUKE are still on the bench, plus if we have KG, who needs a bench...ha ha ha.

Reply #87639 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Don't trade next years draft pick. The '07 draft is set to be deepest since LeBron, Wade, Melo, etc.

If choosing between moving the pick next year (which going on Knicks form is likely top 5 or 6 again if the lottery works out!!) or Tyrus Thomas, I'd move Thomas. Top picks from this years draft would be late lottery or into the "teens" if they were taken next year...

Reply #87664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have the Bulls not traded TC for PJ Brown & JR Smith ?? Garnett is a pipedream me thinks....

Reply #87665 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

yeah, just found info on that pipe dream anon, Chandler traded for PJ Brown and JR Smith, story is on
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-060705bulls,1,1788161.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Damn It!!!!!!!

Reply #87676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't officially happened yet

Reply #87679 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The 2007 draft is considered the strongest in the last 20 years. The Bulls can't trade next years pick due to the Eddie Curry deal with the Kn(D)icks... They get to exchange the pick, so potentially considering how crap the Knicks are, it could be No 1. Imaging Greg Oden with the Bulls...

Reply #87683 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Chicago Bulls and New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets have verbally agreed to a deal that will send Tyson Chandler to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith. (Deal can't be offical until 12 June)

The Pacers just shagged the Mavericks. Pacers sent Croshere to Dallas for Marquis Daniels...

Reply #87685 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Whoa. Great news for the Pacers. I think Daniels will blossom with extended minutes.

I know Crosere has an over-priced contract, do you know how many years remain on it TR? I can't see the benefit in this for the Mavs unless it's an expiring contract.

They already have an overpriced one-dimentional standstill shooter in KVH, why do they need another? Having said that, by the looks of what went on during the playoffs, it doesn't appear they have a role for Daniels, either. He only averaged 11 mpg in the playoffs & I think he's too talented for that. I'm sure the Pacers can find a way for him to play at least 25-30 mins per game between the 1, 2 & 3 spots.

Including JR Smith in the trade is interesting. Obviously he & Byron Scott were not going to get along & there are suggestions it's likely he'll clash with Skiles, too. He's an undeniable talent though, and if he drops the attitude problem, he could be a valuable contributor for the Bulls.

Reply #87686 | Report this post

Years ago

If the Chicago-New Orleans/Oklahoma City deal goes through, J.R. Smith (6'6", 220lb SG) will likely end up whinging about lack of minutes (like he did with the Hornets) with the Bulls. Smith has 1 year left on his contract ($1,387,560 in 2006-07), with a team option for another year ($2,134,067), and a qualifying offer to be made in 2008-09 (minimum $3,028,241)

P.J. Brown (6'11", 239lb C) has 1 year left on his contract, worth $9,000,000.

Tyson Chandler (7'1", 235lb C) has 5 years left on his contract ($9,335,974 in 2006-07)

Austin Croshere (6'10", 235lb PF) has 1 year left on his contract, worth $9,560,000. I'm suprised Croshere has lasted 9 seasons in Indiana.

Keith Van Horn (6'10", 245lb SF) is an unrestricted free agent, so Dallas don't have to re-sign him if they don't want to.

Marquis Daniels (6'6", 200lb SG) will have to compete for the starting SG position for the Pacers with:
Stephen Jackson
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Fred Jones (If he accepts the Pacers' qualifying offer of minumum $3,239,420 for 2006-07).
Daniels is also able to play the SF spot sometimes too, but his competition there would be:
Danny Granger
Shawne Williams
James White
In the PG spot Indiana have:
Anthony Johnson
Jamaal Tinsley
So unless the Pacers move out one of these players (my guess would be Stephen Jackson, then Jamaal Tinsley), Daniels won't be seeing major minutes anytime soon. Daniels has 4 years left on his contract ($5,883,600 in 2006-07), with a team option for a 5th year ($7,354,500).

The Bulls would have to give up a lot to get Kevin Garnett (6'11", 220lb PF), firstly because Minnesota isn't shopping him, and secondly because of his $20,000,000 salary in 2006-07. Garnett has 2 years left on his contract, with a player option for a 3rd year in 2008-09 ($24,000,000).

Reply #87689 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Just checking out the rosters for the various summer leagues, and Schenscher has retained a spot on the Bulls roster at least for the summer. Also, Alex Loughton is listed for the Orlando Magic.

Also listed for the Bulls is Bo Hamburger's new favourite NBA player Chevy Troutman, named after his place of conception.

Reply #87782 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

where was that Doc? In the back of a chevy at a trout farm?

Reply #87784 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Chevy Troutman is unquestionably a good name - but not sure if he would have made my All-Star team last season...

Reply #87786 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bo, your All-Star team may have some new faces this year. I swear I'm not making these up. All Summer League rostered players:

- Brett "Ice Man" Blizzard

- Kevin Pittsnoggle

- Alpha Bangura

- Pops-Mensa Bonsa

- Eugene "Pooh" Jeter

- Cornelius McFadgon

Reminds me of playing Hang Time on N64 with created players and the commentator yelling "Cornelius! to Frankencow..."

(Mod: Last line made me laugh. Reminds me - my brother and I shared a room as kids. One night he sat bolt upright and yelled in his sleep "Ewing, for three!")

Reply #87795 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Awesome game. Only time when a hook shot from from near the three point line running away from the basket is high-percentage.

Reply #87800 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Large Marge was always my favourite. Her and Fat Boy dominated the league for many weekends, school days, SWOT Vac... She was 7'6" with big red hair, he wore glasses and a terry towelling blue hat. Classy couple.

Reply #87807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754